1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Walk around/Travel/Casual lens advice

Doctorbird
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Walk around/Travel/Casual lens advice

robbymack wrote:
DB you don't sound like a guy who's going to pixel peep so I think for the purpose you state the tamron will work. I'd definitely give it a shot before I lugged around a 28-300L and I'd probably also try out the 24-105 for a spell as well before making that decision. But for me weight is a big issue, especially while traveling with little ones. Without that encumbrance and with the gear you already own I'd say go for the best. Realistically some of the enjoyment of photography is in using nice stuff.

Robbymack.

Thanks for the (positive) assessment. I do pixel peep but realistically.

I should have mentioned at the outset that I have a spectrum of lenses that includes the 24-105, 70-200, and 100-400. So these were all under consideration in my thoughts. Just want to go lighter without too much compromises.

Db

Jun 03, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Walk around/Travel/Casual lens advice

Doctorbird wrote:
Thanks Jim,

I'd prefer not to acquire another brand/model camera with it's accompanying accoutrements - batteries, chargers, learning curve and upgrade paths. This, in addition to the further expenses as you said.

I'm leaning towards Tamron.

Db

Okay!

On the plus side, you'll be able to give us the only user review of the Tamron!

Jun 03, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Walk around/Travel/Casual lens advice

Well, the order for the Tamron has been placed and I'm looking forward to the sometimes respite from lugging a lot of weighty L stuff around.

I am not expecting L performance from the lens. Rather, it's akin to eating out at the Golden Arches (aka MacDonald's) and knowing what the expectations are - not too great, but it's a meal. I've looked at some of the user reviews and there are actually some fans around, perhaps not as discriminating as the sophisticated members here.

Thanks for all the input.

Db

Jun 03, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Larate
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Walk around/Travel/Casual lens advice

The Tammy is tempting me for landscapes in low light (assuming not on windy days). I kept the 24-105 for that situation, although not the easiest at f/5.6 (I don't like it wide open very much). With this Tamron, I would gain one EV (using it at f/4 seems an IQ requirement if I trust various reviews).
Despite the Canon being perfectly usable wide open (again referring to the reviews I've read), the 3 to 4 stops gain of VC yields the advantage to the Tammy (again with static subjects). If I need faster speed, I could rely on either the 24/1.4 or the 35/1.4.

But sure that IQ wise, the new EF 24-70 is a better choice. Man, had Canon put IS and I would have already bought it !

Jun 03, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Walk around/Travel/Casual lens advice

I'm curious how you will find 1) the sides/edges, 2) distortion (barrel and pin-cushion), along with 3) color fringing.

I'm sure it will be a ton lighter and smaller, so you are going to achieve your objectives in that, no matter what!

Jun 03, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Larate
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Walk around/Travel/Casual lens advice

Gunzorro wrote:
I'm curious how you will find 1) the sides/edges, 2) distortion (barrel and pin-cushion), along with 3) color fringing.

I'm sure it will be a ton lighter and smaller, so you are going to achieve your objectives in that, no matter what!

I would say it depends on the scene, the motives of the photographer and ultimately how old is the captain :')

Let's assume a static scene in low light. For that scene, having a "descent" speed and "descent" ISO would require to fully open the aperture of the Canon zoom (so f/2.8). What can one do with the Tamron zoom ? Obviously, if IQ is important, s/he has to forgot to shoot wide open. But thanks to the lens' VC, s/he could close the aperture one or two stops (to raise the IQ up to the Canon's level) and still have a "descent" speed without bumping the ISO.

Please, don't misinterpret my words. I don't want to teach you anything (I'm sure I would learn a lot from you). Actually, my real question is "what's the best between a not optimal but stabilised lens and a better lens stabilised with a tripod ?". Until now, I always carried on several primes and a tripod with me. But I don't think that's the definition of a walk around lens ! Well, that's what my back is telling me !

Sorry for telling loud what is driving me insane :')

Jun 04, 2013 at 07:20 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.