Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · DxO Optics Pro or Capture One Pro

JimKied
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DxO Optics Pro or Capture One Pro

Rent? No way.

So which is better? And why? And how does it compare with LR? Good IQ? User friendly?

FWIW, primarily a landscape guy. Not much into portraits or weddings. Sports? Nah. Don't need tethering. Etc.

Seeking opinions and personal experiences with the software. I will definitely trial, but there may be issues not noticed during the trial period.

Thanks

May 31, 2013 at 08:46 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DxO Optics Pro or Capture One Pro

I am primarily landscape also, I use both DXO, C1, NX2, IDC and PSCS6 and I have a trial of LR5 and Silkypix.
DXO is my main goto with PS for the "Content Aware Brush" which DXO lacks.
If DXO had the CAB I could tell Adobe where to put their products.
LR5 is a work in progress and has some nice features, but the "Dust Brush" is a disaster and IMO completely useless.
C1 is a nice editor but no CAB at all and their dust brush is very simplistic, so I don't use it much in my work flow and the interface learning curve is much higher than LR5.
Canon DPP is probably the closest to what you actually see, but limited. I would like to see what Canon COULD produce software wise if they really tried.
Sony's IDC is not bad but could use more development & refinement. Nikon's latest version of NX2 is very good, but there again, no CAB.
The latest Silkypix has improved tremendously but still has a ways to go.
Elements 11 has tremendous possibilities if they would make it a full 16 bit Editor instead of crippling several functions by making them 8 bit.
Hope this gives you some ideas.
Regards
Paul

May 31, 2013 at 09:16 PM
Rodan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DxO Optics Pro or Capture One Pro

Dx0 all the way

May 31, 2013 at 09:24 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DxO Optics Pro or Capture One Pro

2fer DxO so far. Does anyone give onOne Perfect Suite any love? Realize that it doesn't seem to have any noise or sharpening tools. But it does seem to have a CAB. Don't know if it is any good...

May 31, 2013 at 11:59 PM
fatedquest

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DxO Optics Pro or Capture One Pro

I've never used Capture One, but I can tell you that ever since I got DxO, I've not touched Lightroom 4 anymore. DxO is much more intuitive and easier to work it. Lightroom seems to have more tool, but I think if I wanted to precisely edit a picture to that extent, I would have opened it in photoshop already.

Jun 01, 2013 at 04:09 AM
glacierpete
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DxO Optics Pro or Capture One Pro

Download the trials of LR5, C1 7Pro and PhotoNinja (raw processor, the beta is the latest) and look what output you prefer for landscape photography. You might also add the new Topaz Clarity (plugin) for tweaking it has a lot of landscape presets, great masking tools, and does not produce artifacts or halos. (they still have the intro price of $29 on their website) I have not used DXO for quite some time.

PhotoNinja (the raw processor is better than ACR), and Clarity can both the used within lightroom via edit with... C1 Pro7 unfortunately has no interface for PS plugins.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom5/
http://www.topazlabs.com/clarity/
http://www.picturecode.com/download_beta.php

I am primarily landscape also

Jun 01, 2013 at 06:32 AM
stupor

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DxO Optics Pro or Capture One Pro

Capture One 7 Pro for best image quality.

Jun 01, 2013 at 09:53 AM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DxO Optics Pro or Capture One Pro

I guess most folks are using Adobe exclusively. I thought I would get more input. I do see that DxO has a good following and I will definitely trial it. Probably will also trial C1 and maybe Perfect Suite. I like that Perfect Suite has a layers application and I have always liked Perfect Resize, so there is some use to it.

Jun 04, 2013 at 12:55 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · DxO Optics Pro or Capture One Pro

Been using Capture One since version 3 or 4 can't recall which I started with, but I still use other products (DPP, NX2, PS C2, PS CS6, LR4) for the quick PP. When I want IQ I always start with Capture One.

Jun 04, 2013 at 01:08 AM
chmod

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · DxO Optics Pro or Capture One Pro

Capture One Pro.

Jun 05, 2013 at 06:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

parsons
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · DxO Optics Pro or Capture One Pro

stupor wrote:
Capture One 7 Pro for best image quality.

same here

Jun 05, 2013 at 08:49 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · DxO Optics Pro or Capture One Pro

A recent run for C1 Pro. I like that it has a60 day trial. It will give me more time to evaluate it. So you guys say that you like the image quality. What are your thoughts regarding its sharpening and noise algorithms?

Jun 06, 2013 at 01:55 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · DxO Optics Pro or Capture One Pro

DxO for me, been using it since version 5.

Jun 07, 2013 at 05:42 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · DxO Optics Pro or Capture One Pro

OK can any of you throw out some thoughts why or what you like about each one. Do they do something better than what you can do? Faster processing? What do they lack, if anything? Inquiring minds want to know.

Jun 07, 2013 at 06:24 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · DxO Optics Pro or Capture One Pro

For my use the only thing that DXO lacks that Adobe has it the "content Aware Healing Brush". C1 also lacks that feature and the keystone correction. DXO is not databased and has keystoneing correction, while C1 is, so take your choice they are both good, I dislike databases so my choice is DXO which interface I also prefer.
LR5 is becoming a good editor also, albeit with a database and a spot healing brush that is a disaster no matter how they talk it up.

Jun 10, 2013 at 08:32 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · DxO Optics Pro or Capture One Pro

Capture One Pro has keystone correction.

Jun 10, 2013 at 08:34 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · DxO Optics Pro or Capture One Pro

Unless they have changed their design approach, DxO would require specific camera/lens combinations to get the best out of it. As time goes by they struggle to update their system for new lenses with old cameras. You'll find a new lens gets added to some cameras but not others. Likewise older lenses will get added to some cameras but not all of them.

At least nowadays you don't have to pay per camera/lens combo as you did in the early days of DxO. However, if you have what they consider to be a pro camera then you will have to buy the pro version of the software. That's just the way it is and there may be no technical justification for it.

- Alan

Jun 16, 2013 at 04:22 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · DxO Optics Pro or Capture One Pro

Personally I think it matters little which software you use because it is highly unlikely that any scene will be lit with one type of light (shade vs direct sunlight vs reflected light, etc.) and so even if it produced exactly what the camera saw it will not be what your eyes saw and you will have to do some tweaking.

You will need some layering or masking or selection capability to let you treat different areas differently, which rules out the minor players like DPP and to some extent Lr. I use Lr and external plug-ins/independent editors as required but I'm definitely not into pro-grade expert level editing.

- Alan

Jun 16, 2013 at 04:31 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · DxO Optics Pro or Capture One Pro

None of them are best at everything, so for me it's a blend of C1, LR5 and DxO 8. I'm liking DxO the more I use it, but it'd be a lot better if it added local adjustments brushes/layers like C1 and LR. LR is easiest to use, but can't quite match C1 and DxO for detail extraction, but I like it's sharpening sliders the best, just needs to improve the detail.

Sep 11, 2013 at 03:05 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · DxO Optics Pro or Capture One Pro

Capture One pro, Nx2 and photoshop. I convert raw with Capture One for canon files and use NX2 or photoshop for edits on tiff. Nx2 all the way for Nikon NEF.

Sep 11, 2013 at 03:48 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password