Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · OT - Think tank Lens Changer as a carry around bag during wedding ?

mjoshi
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · OT - Think tank Lens Changer as a carry around bag during wedding ?

I just got Think tank Lens Changer, I'm yet to use it in real event - most probably will be doing it this weekend. Here is my observation, it is very well made bag but with only one drawback the padding around lens is not there so if you are carrying bag and bump into something chance of damaging lens are higher. Anyone here using thinktank ? What is your experience with real life usage and what lenses you carry in Lenschanger ?

May 31, 2013 at 09:58 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · OT - Think tank Lens Changer as a carry around bag during wedding ?

I use it to carry the following on a TT belt:

2 TT1
2 AC3
4 TT5
CP filter
Various other stuff- maybe a 4-pack of batteries or memory cards.

Depending on how you configure the internal compartments, you could also use it for carrying lenses on the fly. But really, these would need to be small to medium-sized primes- for example, a Sigma 85mm f/1.4 takes up about 1/2 the space. A Nikon 24-70mm would take up nearly the entire area, mostly due to its hood shape.

For transporting lenses in a well-padded bag, there are more suitable options.

May 31, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · OT - Think tank Lens Changer as a carry around bag during wedding ?

A lot of us here use the lens changer 3. Have never had a problem with lack of padding. Does exactly what it's supposed to do.

May 31, 2013 at 10:14 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · OT - Think tank Lens Changer as a carry around bag during wedding ?

I use ThinkTank lens changer 50, and 75, about to get a 25....they are the modular system cases....that work with the speed belt....i freaking love them....think tank by far makes the best products on the market....

May 31, 2013 at 01:00 PM
mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · OT - Think tank Lens Changer as a carry around bag during wedding ?

Thanks all for the comments, yes they are the best so far I've seen in terms of product quality. I've got lens changer 3.

May 31, 2013 at 02:06 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · OT - Think tank Lens Changer as a carry around bag during wedding ?

mjoshi wrote:
yes they are the best so far I've seen in terms of product quality

Ever tried Lowepro? Tamrac? What do you mean by "product quality"?

May 31, 2013 at 02:57 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · OT - Think tank Lens Changer as a carry around bag during wedding ?

I think he means "product quality" as in, lowepro and tamrac are JUNK...

Lol jk....no what i take that to mean is the level of features above other brands....like little things that make them more enjoyable to use...

Reasons why i pick thinktank over lowepro or tamrac for a lens pouch belt:

The way thinktank pouches lock in to the belt (i know lowepro does to)

Every lens pouch has a mesh pocket on the front, to store caps, business cards, memory cards, etc.

They dont have traditional tops that zip close, and stay in your way, even when open...they have no top, except for the draw string closure...

The draw string closure, in case you want to close the pouch

The pop down ability that allows the length of the pouch to change if you want to run the hood on or off

Their belts are padded in a way that makes you feel like you're being hugged by angels

The little removeable rain poncho that comes with each pouch, so you can be totally water proof, just in case

The optional/removable "racing harness" for shoulder support of the belt...makes me look extra tactical and silly when i need to, and nice and stealth when i dont.

May 31, 2013 at 03:40 PM
mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · OT - Think tank Lens Changer as a carry around bag during wedding ?

D. Diggler wrote:
Ever tried Lowepro? Tamrac? What do you mean by "product quality"?

You selling either of them

Nope in terms of product quality, I can see the amount of thought process that has gone in designing the product and overall product quality. I've used Lowerpro and Kata in past & I still have Kata bag that I carry around, but Thinktank definetly is notch above others in terms of design and material. Overall craftsmanship is much better with the product e.g. the shoulder belt will not slide down your shoulder while you are shooting and you've bag hanging on your shoulder. They even have shoulder grips put on bottom of the belt so it stays on shoulder. The have small handle in case you dont want to hang on shoulder but carry like a regular bag. There are lot of small things within bag that shows the design genius behind product.

May 31, 2013 at 04:09 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · OT - Think tank Lens Changer as a carry around bag during wedding ?

I have several Lens Changer bags and they are all I use at my weddings. I use a TT steroid belt with the modular system, and I modified it with SpiderPro holster's dual system.

Lowepro and all the other knock-offs I'm aware of are pure garbage by comparison, IMO.

May 31, 2013 at 04:25 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · OT - Think tank Lens Changer as a carry around bag during wedding ?

the one thing i didnt' like about the lowepro system when i tried it out, was how on the belt, the belt is just a belt...as in, a piece of fabric, except for the pads that you remove at the sides, and the back....those are the spots you can fix your lens cases to....except that everything is still going to shift around when you take it off...those 3 pads are going to move, and then you gotta re-adjust now and then....the TT belt is all one piece, with the padding built in to every inch......

May 31, 2013 at 04:29 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · OT - Think tank Lens Changer as a carry around bag during wedding ?

mjoshi wrote:
You selling either of them

Nope in terms of product quality, I can see the amount of thought process that has gone in designing the product and overall product quality. I've used Lowerpro and Kata in past & I still have Kata bag that I carry around, but Thinktank definetly is notch above others in terms of design and material. Overall craftsmanship is much better with the product e.g. the shoulder belt will not slide down your shoulder while you are shooting and you've bag hanging on your shoulder. They even have shoulder grips put on bottom of the belt
...Show more

Absolutely agree. The TT products are thoughtfully designed and bullet proof. I use the Lens Changer 3 and the Retrospective 10... both are amazing. Next up will probably be one of their rolling camera bags.

May 31, 2013 at 04:59 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · OT - Think tank Lens Changer as a carry around bag during wedding ?

NathanHamler wrote:
the one thing i didnt' like about the lowepro system when i tried it out, was how on the belt, the belt is just a belt...as in, a piece of fabric, except for the pads that you remove at the sides, and the back....those are the spots you can fix your lens cases to....except that everything is still going to shift around when you take it off...those 3 pads are going to move, and then you gotta re-adjust now and then

Not sure which of the belts you tried but the Lowepro belt I have does not have removable pads. Nothing on the belt is movable. The lens case loops are sewn in place on the belt so nothing shifts when you take the belt off. The lens cases are not free to move around at all on the belt from where you choose to attach the lens case.

May 31, 2013 at 05:48 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · OT - Think tank Lens Changer as a carry around bag during wedding ?

D. Diggler wrote:
Not sure which of the belts you tried but the Lowepro belt I have does not have removable pads. Nothing on the belt is movable. The lens case loops are sewn in place on the belt so nothing shifts when you take the belt off. The lens cases are not free to move around at all on the belt from where you choose to attach the lens case.

Yeah i think the one you have is the belt that gets taller in the back, almost back brace looking....the one i was looking at is the "light utility belt", where i think yours is the "deluxe technical belt"

May 31, 2013 at 09:22 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · OT - Think tank Lens Changer as a carry around bag during wedding ?

NathanHamler wrote:
i think the one you have is the belt that gets taller in the back, almost back brace looking....the one i was looking at is the "light utility belt", where i think yours is the "deluxe technical belt"

Nathan,

I went to the Lowepro site and did find out that it appears that they have changed the belt since I bought mine a half-dozen years back. I guess I have the older version of the light utility belt. Mine appears basically like the "deluxe technical belt" but thinner. Just looking at the picture of the belt you tried, I can see there could be a problem with those pads sliding about. Lowepro has been changing their products recently and half the time it doesn't seem for the better. They changed their lens case sizes to offer fewer options in size. And the new sizes they do offer are not to my liking ... just don't seem to fit my lenses as well as the older lens cases. I don't know if a new company bought them out or what.

At any rate, found this picture of the older version of the light utility belt:

May 31, 2013 at 11:19 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · OT - Think tank Lens Changer as a carry around bag during wedding ?

Yeah that looks more like something i'd use...

Jun 01, 2013 at 06:23 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.