Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Zoom lenses pump dust and vapor into camera? Lens fungus?

gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Zoom lenses pump dust and vapor into camera? Lens fungus?

Squirrely Eyed wrote:
It's not something I see very often in reviews but is something that Ken Rockwell seems to vent loudly about.

There is a lesson in that observation...

May 31, 2013 at 10:36 PM
big country
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Zoom lenses pump dust and vapor into camera? Lens fungus?

Roger, i'd be interested in seeing a blog post of the most rented lenses from you guys...

May 31, 2013 at 11:41 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Zoom lenses pump dust and vapor into camera? Lens fungus?

big country wrote:
Roger, i'd be interested in seeing a blog post of the most rented lenses from you guys...

I'd be happy to do it, but the running joke at Lensrentals is if we were starting over we'd open "Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II rentals.com" That, the 24-70 f/2.8 (both kinds still) and the 5DIII are by far our 3 biggest renters.

The second tier is 16-35 f/2.8, 100-400, 24-105 f/4 IS, 70-200 f/2.8 NON IS, and 5D II.

Third tier is Nikon 70-200 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, and the major Canon primes (85 f/1.2, 100 IS L, 50 f/1.2, 35 f/1.2).

Everything else together (including video, lighting, tripods, etc.) doesn't come close to adding up to as much as the third tier alone.

Fun facts that made me go "damn!" when they came up: we have 600 LP-E6 batteries, 2,000+ camera bags and cases, recycle over 1 ton of used cardboard boxes per week, use 100 Lens Pens per month, not to mention 20 pounds of coffee and a dozen cases of Red Bull

Jun 01, 2013 at 07:52 AM
big country
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Zoom lenses pump dust and vapor into camera? Lens fungus?

interesting stats! a local girl just tried to rent a 70-200 2.8 II and said you guys were all out. how many of those lenses do you have?

Jun 03, 2013 at 04:37 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Zoom lenses pump dust and vapor into camera? Lens fungus?

big country wrote:
interesting stats! a local girl just tried to rent a 70-200 2.8 II and said you guys were all out. how many of those lenses do you have?

She must be confusing us with someone else. We aren't out - there's 30 on the shelf at the moment.

I'm not allowed to say how many we have, exactly, but several hundred of the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II.

Jun 03, 2013 at 04:43 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Zoom lenses pump dust and vapor into camera? Lens fungus?

RCicala wrote:
... several hundred of the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II.

Jun 03, 2013 at 04:48 PM
fraga
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Zoom lenses pump dust and vapor into camera? Lens fungus?

big country wrote:
i think it's more of internet folklore than reality.

I thought the same until the day I noticed air coming out of the battery compartment of my 20d when I zoomed with the 100-400L...

Having said that, it was never an issue for me.
For the time I owned the 100-400L, dust was never a problem, either inside the lens or on the camera sensor.
And I shot motocross events with it!

Fungus was not a problem as well and I've had problems with fungus with other lenses, including a weather sealed internal zoom lens.

Hope this helps the OP.

Jun 04, 2013 at 05:40 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Zoom lenses pump dust and vapor into camera? Lens fungus?

Squirrely Eyed wrote:
Ken Rockwell seems to vent (pardon the pun) loudly about.

KR is known as a "funny" writer about photography ...

Jun 04, 2013 at 06:58 AM
_SBS_
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Zoom lenses pump dust and vapor into camera? Lens fungus?

I vacuum my house with my 100-400

Jun 04, 2013 at 12:40 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Zoom lenses pump dust and vapor into camera? Lens fungus?

Sorry a bit late answer:

Squirrely Eyed wrote:
...I guess what would maybe worry me more is the additional water vapor when shooting in humid climates. Is lens fungus really a big issue?

My first lens with fungus was my Tokina 60-300 lens I loved to use in humid areas. It is a push pull zoom that sucks a lot of air inside. I suppose it got much air and spores inside, but cause I used it very often enough fresh air was pumped through the lens.
The fungus started growing when I stored the lens in the basement, and the heating installation had a defect with 100% humidity and ~30°C for some time.
Fungus spores need to get inside a lens to start fungus, so I think (can not prove) that lenses with air pump effect are more prone to get fungus - when they are stored bad (dark, no ventilation).
Most times storage is ok, or not enough right spores are sucked in.
So fungus is not a big issue - but it could happen even with modern lenses.

fraga wrote:
...Fungus was not a problem as well and I've had problems with fungus with other lenses, including a weather sealed internal zoom lens....

Thank you for your post!
I think sealed lenses are more fungus prone too, because as soon as humidity gets inside, it takes very long to get outside again. Long time good climate conditions for fungus growth.

Jun 29, 2013 at 05:49 PM
LCPete
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Zoom lenses pump dust and vapor into camera? Lens fungus?

RCicala wrote:
+12,500 (cause that's how many lenses I take care of).

We remove dust for cosmetic reasons (well, really because a small % of renters freak out when they get a lens with dust in it, convinced it will be visible on their images - it's easier to remove the dust on the front end than argue with them while they're losing their minds on Friday afternoon because they're convinced they're shoot is ruined before they take a picture.)

There are lenses more prone to getting dust inside them, but it's not particularly the push-pull zooms or even zooms. The 100-400 for example
...Show more

Very interesting my most used two lenses are the 100-400 and 100L
I mainly use them on a 7D and sometimes on a 550D and haven't had to do a sensor clean on the 7D in the 16 months I've had it
Have had to do the 550D three times in the same period tho which is odd

Jun 30, 2013 at 03:18 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Zoom lenses pump dust and vapor into camera? Lens fungus?

Squirrely Eyed wrote:
Do any of you notice a "dust pump" or "vapor pump" effect from your zooms, especially the 70-300mm L and 100-400mm L zooms?

In a word, NO.

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:01 PM
tuantran
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Zoom lenses pump dust and vapor into camera? Lens fungus?

Can anyone just do this simple test for the sake of the entire group?
1. Fill your bath tub full of water.
2. Attach the 100-400mm onto a 1Dx.
3. Zoom it to 400mm.
4. Submerge the body and lens into the water.
5. Zoom to 100mm.
6. Describe where the air bubbles escape?

Thanks.

Jul 01, 2013 at 06:31 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.