Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

Gochugogi
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

Yes, better to give it up rather than suffer bodily harm. In my case a naked man with a woody jumped out of the bushes--seriously--and I didn't have time to think and smacked him good with my Manfrotto 190 (metal legs not CF!). I actually took models up there and later found out the slopes of Diamond Head are a rendezvous for "anonymous activities" and is also filled with nests of drug users (actual nests of cardboard). Hauntingly beautiful place but a black eye for tourism.

Jun 02, 2013 at 01:37 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

Gochugogi wrote:
...In my case a naked man with a woody jumped out of the bushes....

Well that certainly sounds like a Kodak moment....

Jun 02, 2013 at 01:52 PM
RichFisher
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

I have heard that CF dust is rather unhealthy. Not sure if this is true - but to be safe I would be careful around the tripod and return as soon as you can.

Jun 02, 2013 at 01:54 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

RichFisher wrote:
I have heard that CF dust is rather unhealthy. Not sure if this is true - but to be safe I would be careful around the tripod and return as soon as you can.

Should be fine as long as you don't smoke, snort or ingest large quantities of CF dust. Or, to error on the safe side, wear respiratory protection on shoots...

Jun 02, 2013 at 02:59 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

RichFisher wrote:

just a little overkill there. there are many other sources of potential hazard around

if you have a modern car these days the brake pads (disc type) are of a carbon composite material and the is dust all over your wheels from that too.

don't forget that fishing rod, ski pole, ice axe, kayak, HP canoe, kayak and canoe paddles, even certain pens and a few other things too.

Jun 02, 2013 at 03:05 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

Heck - my computer is a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon

Jun 02, 2013 at 05:47 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

Be careful with exposed pencil lead too...

Jun 02, 2013 at 08:45 PM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

Poor tripods being used as weapons. What's wrong with you savages?! I carry 19rds of insurance on my hip, like a gentlemen.

Jun 04, 2013 at 07:46 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

Jason_Brook wrote:
Poor tripods being used as weapons. What's wrong with you savages?! I carry 19rds of insurance on my hip, like a gentlemen.

I have a guy at work who makes statements just like this.

Jun 04, 2013 at 09:27 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

It's not exactly "never" but the occasions where a firearm is a useful deterrent are pretty rare.

Frankly, if you're willing to pull out a gun, you'd better be prepared to kill someone. That's not something to be threatened lightly. If the other person doesn't have a deadly weapon, you're not allowed to just pull out your gun and kill them in most circumstances. If the other person does have a deadly weapon, you're banking on your ability to draw and fire accurately before you get hurt. No matter what the situation is, you're escalating it, and most of the time it's at such close range that you don't have a clear advantage.

I'm not anti-gun by any means, but every day carry of a firearm is no insurance policy. At best, you're preparing for that 0.00001% situation where you have a clear advantage and right to use it, but much more commonly, you're escalating the violence of a situation where handing over your wallet and cancelling your credit cards would have sufficed.

I supposed we've drifted topics, though...

Jun 04, 2013 at 10:45 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

Jason_Brook wrote:

Try doing that over here in Europe. With our judicial systems, a kind word and a tripod will get you a lot further than a kind word and a gun...

Jun 04, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

binary visions wrote:
It's not exactly "never" but the occasions where a firearm is a useful deterrent are pretty rare.

Frankly, if you're willing to pull out a gun, you'd better be prepared to kill someone. That's not something to be threatened lightly. If the other person doesn't have a deadly weapon, you're not allowed to just pull out your gun and kill them in most circumstances. If the other person does have a deadly weapon, you're banking on your ability to draw and fire accurately before you get hurt. No matter what the situation is, you're escalating it, and most of the
...Show more

Agreed 100%. First rule of self defense. Your weapon does not get drawn from the holster unless you intend to pull the trigger, period, end of story. If they want your wallet hand it over, walk away. Unfortunately there are entirely too many occasions where that simple snatch and run has turned into a group of people beating you into a pulp.

There was an incident here last year where an old man was riding his bicycle on one of the trails. Three teens jumped out, knocked him off his bike and started beating him. He killed two and put the other in the hospital. DA said clean shoot. It's crazy to carry everyday, but the day you don't, you'll sure regret it.

Jun 04, 2013 at 11:58 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

Jason_Brook wrote:
There was an incident here last year where an old man was riding his bicycle on one of the trails. Three teens jumped out, knocked him off his bike and started beating him. He killed two and put the other in the hospital. DA said clean shoot. It's crazy to carry everyday, but the day you don't, you'll sure regret it.

It might be because i'm european, but to me the moral of this story is not that carrying a gun is a personal protection solution, but that if you are living in such a place it is time to move somewhere better. Frankly, there is just nothing "right" about this story, starting from the old guy putting on a gun to out cycling, to the 3 kids mugging him, or with him killing 2 of them and seriously injuring the third.

Jun 04, 2013 at 12:35 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

Jason_Brook wrote:
Agreed 100%. First rule of self defense. Your weapon does not get drawn from the holster unless you intend to pull the trigger, period, end of story. If they want your wallet hand it over, walk away. Unfortunately there are entirely too many occasions where that simple snatch and run has turned into a group of people beating you into a pulp.

There was an incident here last year where an old man was riding his bicycle on one of the trails. Three teens jumped out, knocked him off his bike and started beating him. He killed two and put
...Show more

then there is no need to make reference to or brag about it. it says something.

Jun 04, 2013 at 03:25 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

Something drove over that tripod. A golf cart, forklift, car, or truck.

Jun 07, 2013 at 07:12 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.