Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

yofredmoik

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

Hi everyone. I recently bought a used Gitzo carbon fiber travel tripod. It had a couple cracks on one of its legs but I disregarded it and bought it regardless. However, with the end of the return policy being soon, I am much more seriously questioning the extent of the crack. Does anyone have any knowledge on whether the tripod should hold up for a while? Should I return it or repair it?

Any advice would help, thanks

This is the larger crack:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mokano/8893183972/in/photostream/

And the smaller section that extends out from the same leg:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mokano/8893184272/in/photostream/

Yofred

May 30, 2013 at 06:22 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

I've seen a lot of well used CF tripods over the years, and I have never seen anything like that. CF is an extremely durable material, and puts up with a lot of abuse. To actually crack the tripod, you would need to HEAVILY abuse it under normal conditions, or perhaps expose it to extreme stress in a VERY cold environment. Either way, there is no way I would personally buy a tripod in that condition. I would return it unless you bought it for pennies on the dollar.

May 30, 2013 at 06:28 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

Scratches are one thing. This looks like the leg had a side impact with it retracted to the point of damage. Carbon Fiber is very strong but if there is material damage like in the photos, it is weakened & likely to fail.

Like the other poster, I would return it.

Dan

May 30, 2013 at 06:52 PM
dlabrecque
• •
p.1 #4 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

Whoa! Looks like the last owner used it for batting practice.

Fortunately, Gitzo sells replacement leg sections, but you'll need to balance the cost against what you paid for that tripod. As it is, I wouldn't want to put anything remotely expensive on it.

May 30, 2013 at 06:55 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

Definitely I would return it regardless if the warranty period is over or not. Gitzo should adhere to their reputation. I also own Gitzo.. so far they are okay.
Kee

May 30, 2013 at 07:01 PM
yofredmoik

p.1 #6 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

Thank you everyone! Returned it.

May 30, 2013 at 08:04 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

That looks like someone used it to hit a corner of the wall or something. Return

May 30, 2013 at 08:19 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

Sunny Sra wrote:
That looks like someone used it to hit a corner of the wall or something. Return

Pretty sure you could smack the corner of a building with a CF tripod leg and it would be fine save for a scratch or ding. That looks like something much worse happened to it, e.g., a shipping container fell on it in air cargo or a big rock rolled over it.

May 30, 2013 at 10:03 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

that would depend on its particular design and build structure. there's lots of varied methods in that world. you can't assume. CF manufactured products can be real design specific. and more generalized products are one heck of a lot less so.

May 30, 2013 at 10:10 PM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

Gochugogi wrote:
Pretty sure you could smack the corner of a building with a CF tripod leg and it would be fine save for a scratch or ding. That looks like something much worse happened to it, e.g., a shipping container fell on it in air cargo or a big rock rolled over it.

CF is durable in some ways, and explodes in others. Tripod legs are designed take force/compression parallel to the column, not perpendicular to it.

I wouldn't advise swinging a CF tripod, bat-like, at the corner of a building. The tripod might shatter.

May 31, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

Which model Gitzo is that?

May 31, 2013 at 01:53 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

justruss wrote:
CF is durable in some ways, and explodes in others. Tripod legs are designed take force/compression parallel to the column, not perpendicular to it.

I wouldn't advise swinging a CF tripod, bat-like, at the corner of a building. The tripod might shatter.

No buildings but I once used my Manfrotto with spiked feet to swing at an attacker while shooting on Diamond Head. He actually bolted after the first connection.

May 31, 2013 at 04:31 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

I saw a video of some photographers and surfers fighting the other day, one of them was using a monopod to beat the guy. I bet this was his.

May 31, 2013 at 05:11 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

Gochugogi wrote:
No buildings but I once used my Manfrotto with spiked feet to swing at an attacker while shooting on Diamond Head. He actually bolted after the first connection.

I got followed by a couple guys in Costa Rica once. Was carrying my Manfrotto monopod. I was pretty resigned to getting mugged, but I slid it open (which makes a satisfying metallic noise), gripped it with both hands, and turned around to face the guys.

They weren't scared, but you could watch them mentally recalculate how much trouble my wallet was going to be, and they turned around and left. Still not sure if I would have swung it at them since that would have embroiled me in a fight in a foreign country.

May 31, 2013 at 08:15 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #15 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

dcains wrote:
Which model Gitzo is that?

Maybe an Ocean.

Jun 01, 2013 at 12:27 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

with the blue trim I think you might be correct.

if it were a "fire sale" it might have been worth getting the replacement parts for it.

Jun 01, 2013 at 12:33 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

binary visions wrote:
I got followed by a couple guys in Costa Rica once. Was carrying my Manfrotto monopod. I was pretty resigned to getting mugged, but I slid it open (which makes a satisfying metallic noise), gripped it with both hands, and turned around to face the guys.

They weren't scared, but you could watch them mentally recalculate how much trouble my wallet was going to be, and they turned around and left. Still not sure if I would have swung it at them since that would have embroiled me in a fight in a foreign country.

Funny - last summer when I was in Prague, I sent my wife back with our friends to do some late-night shooting on the Charles Bridge. I lost track of time, and it was well after 1AM when I left to walk back to the hotel. I had gone a few blocks and was on a darker side street when I heard some folks behind me. I pulled my tripod out of the sling and held it head-down like a club as I turned around.

I'm not a small guy, and I'd guess I had a pretty grumpy look on my face. The two guys that had entered the street with me came to sort of a disorganized stop, looked at me for a second and turned around.

It was a still a bit of a hike (we stayed in an apartment facing Tyn Church, for those who are familiar), so I walked the rest of the way back with a pissed look and the tripod held in ready position away from my body. People pretty much stayed out of my way... (which is good - I haven't been in a fight in over 20 years...I probably would have just given the stuff to them anyway. I got lost/stolen/broken insurance before I left the country)

Jun 02, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

The advantages of carrying a tripod when traveling: sharp low light images and mugger deterrent!

Jun 02, 2013 at 04:48 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

Haha, love the way this thread has turned.

I'd say: Great deterrent behavior. But if the deterrent didn't work in a place like CR or Prague... hand over the gear. Collect insurance. Get new stuff.

Most of the folks willing to mug you WHEN you have something club like in your hand are going to be i) physically/tool-wise capable of damaging you badly, and ii) have no moral qualms about doing so. Dangerous combination.

Case in point: I live in what may be one of the softest, low-crime cities in Europe. Its nicknames include Toy Town or the Million Person Village. Last week a few guys spit on a woman walking by them near the center of the city in a busy area. When the woman's fiance went back to confront the guys... he was stabbed in the heart. He died on the way to the hospital; the attackers haven't be identified.

I'm all for behavioral approaches to avoid getting mugged. And bluffing. But when it comes down to it... you better be prepared to kill or get killed when it progresses to violence (and given the choice I'd rather give up the gear than kill someone; you can't take that back) or handing over a bunch of inanimate crap that is most likely insured anyway.

Jun 02, 2013 at 11:07 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Cracked Carbon Fiber Tripod -- Return it?

justruss wrote:
Haha, love the way this thread has turned.

I'd say: Great deterrent behavior. But if the deterrent didn't work in a place like CR or Prague... hand over the gear. Collect insurance. Get new stuff.

Most of the folks willing to mug you WHEN you have something club like in your hand are going to be i) physically/tool-wise capable of damaging you badly, and ii) have no moral qualms about doing so. Dangerous combination.

Case in point: I live in what may be one of the softest, low-crime cities in Europe. Its nicknames include Toy Town or the Million Person Village.
...Show more

Sorry - didn't mean to hijack the thread. The first time I got that kind of insurance was before I went to Brazil, and based on my discussions with my local pals there, I would have immediately handed over anything I had if confronted. That place can be pretty scary. The deal in Prague was pretty much the same thing - if they'd kept coming, I would have almost certainly handed them what i had (I'd sent my wallet back home with my wife/friends )

Jun 02, 2013 at 03:13 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password