Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 5D3 focusing at f/8 - How's the accuracy and speed?

bipock
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D3 focusing at f/8 - How's the accuracy and speed?

Primarily looking for reports on the 400 5.6, but I'll take anything. Curious as to how the lens are responding in speed, accuracy and IQ.

May 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM
robinlee
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D3 focusing at f/8 - How's the accuracy and speed?

For still subject, it is acceptable but for BiF, you need luck there... why not rent a 1.4x and try it yourself?

May 30, 2013 at 03:31 PM
diverhank
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D3 focusing at f/8 - How's the accuracy and speed?

The focus at f/8 with the 400mm f/5.6L is fairly sluggish with only 1 focus point and 4 assists but it is very workable. I'd say it works about the same as a 50D + the 400mm without the 1.4X...maybe a tad slower but not much. It doesn't hunt like when the pins were taped. I was able to focus on BIF actions consistently, though not as easy and fun without the 1.4X.

Here's one of the first shots I tried at f/8.

The Twin Great White Egrets by Tongho58, on Flickr

May 30, 2013 at 05:48 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D3 focusing at f/8 - How's the accuracy and speed?

I am finding the 400mm F5.6 + 1.4X to be quite usable. I am using it with the 4 assist points in Servo mode
I am finding I can get BIF shots that are in focus. You just need lighting that allows F8 usage.
In good light I am finding almost every shot in focus if I can get the focus point on the bird, and coordinate pushing the shutter release at the same time. The point being the 5D II / 400 F5.6 / 1.4X III are working fine.
No, focus is not as fast as the bare 400mm lens, but very competent at focus.

I had the 7D + 400mm F5.6 combination and shot many BIF's and other nature pics. I feel the 5D III / 400mm F5.6 / 1.4X III is a better combination for me than the 7D + 400mm F5.6. I like the image quality better with the 5D III, especially at higher ISO. The bare 400mm F5.6 & 5D III I find clearly superior to the 7D & 400mm F5.6. Pixels on the bird are less, but IQ of the 5D III wins easily, especially as ISO goes up.

While not the ideal combination; the 5D III / 400mm F5.6 + 1.4X TC is an affordable birding combination.
A lightweight portable lens that makes it easy to track subjects quickly.
A great combination of 400mm F5.6 & 560mm F8 for hiking.

Note:
The 3rd image was shot with a Tamron 1.4X TC. I was able to approach close enough for great detail.
The shot was taken last year prior to the 1.2.1 firmware update.
But image shows sharpness of 400mm F5.6 & 1.4 TC's.

5D III / 400mm F5.6 / 1.4X III

5D III / 400mm F5.6 / 1.4X III

5D III / 400mm F5.6 / Tamron 1.4x TC

Edited on May 31, 2013 at 10:35 AM · View previous versions

May 30, 2013 at 08:48 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D3 focusing at f/8 - How's the accuracy and speed?

Very positive results here although some mention of the success rate would be useful. And perhaps a comparison with the 7D + 400 mm f/5.6 too. I unfortunately donated my 7D away hoping for a possible soon to be available
7D II.

Db

May 30, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D3 focusing at f/8 - How's the accuracy and speed?

More specifically, it would be worth knowing the success rate when the subject is approaching the camera as well as when the distance is relatively constant.

As a general comment, I would expect that accuracy would have to meet the usual Canon specs but the speed is rarely specified.

Those who have trouble with the AF at high frame rates might benefit greatly from using a slower frame rate so that the camera gets more viewing and processing time between shots.

The 1-series cameras slow down their AF when a teleconverter is detected (or at least they used to - I'm not sure about the latest model). Does the 5D3 do this too ?

May 31, 2013 at 04:36 AM
bboule
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D3 focusing at f/8 - How's the accuracy and speed?

Anyone try it with a 300/4L IS + 2X TC?

I have been tempted to pick up the TC 2x III now that the 5D3 can focus at f/8. I have the TC 1.4x II... the AF is definitely degraded on my 300/4L IS with the 1.4x but I thought Canon claimed the version III telextenders degrade the autofocus less than the older ones.

I don't get to go shoot anything that I need a long lens for lately though, no rush. I figure I will do it eventually though, because even if it's not great there is no real way I'm going to go get a more expensive super telephoto lens like the 300/2.8 or something.

May 31, 2013 at 09:06 AM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D3 focusing at f/8 - How's the accuracy and speed?

bboule,

I used an aftermarket non-reporting 2X TC with the 300 F4 IS
note: this was last year and prior to the official firmware v1.2.1 F8 focusing support
the sharpness was acceptable, but focusing slows quite a bit
OK for more stationary subjects
I would think the Canon 2X III TC would be sharper, but focus about the same

the 400mm F5.6 + 1.4X is a better way to go
focusing this combination is faster

5D III / 300mm F4 IS / Kenko 2X TC

Edited on May 31, 2013 at 10:30 AM · View previous versions

May 31, 2013 at 10:14 AM
ClausC
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D3 focusing at f/8 - How's the accuracy and speed?

400/5.6 +TC14 mk II: positively surprised, quite usable with plenty of light

Faster than the 300/2.8 IS "mk I" + TC20

May 31, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Tom_W
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D3 focusing at f/8 - How's the accuracy and speed?

bboule wrote:
Anyone try it with a 300/4L IS + 2X TC?

I'll have to give that a try - the 300/4 IS already has a decent close-focus distance. Putting the 2X on will make it something of a semi-macro lens, suitable for shooting things that tend to fly away when you get too close.

I've been using the 100-400 with the 1.4X with pretty good results. Not speedy-fast AF, but the 100-400 isn't extremely fast in that department anyway. It is accurate, though.

May 31, 2013 at 11:20 AM
diverhank
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D3 focusing at f/8 - How's the accuracy and speed?

Doctorbird wrote:
Very positive results here although some mention of the success rate would be useful.Db

Alan321 wrote:
More specifically, it would be worth knowing the success rate when the subject is approaching the camera as well as when the distance is relatively constant.

For me, success rate is highly subjective though and hard to quantify because it depends on whether your lens current focus point is near the subject bird or far.

Based on my experience, for the 5D3/400mm, I'd say if you can get focus on a bird that suddenly jumps up and takes flight across from you 9 out 10 without a 1.4X, you would get 7 out of 10 with it. Strangely for birds that come straight at me, it's easier, I'd say you would get 8 instead of 9 with the 1.4X on.

I occasionally take pictures of ospreys snatching fish...occasionally because it's fairly rare to witness such an event. I find getting focus lock on the osprey at the moment of snatching is challenging, even with a 5D3/ 400mm without the 1.4X. I would not use the 1.4X in this case as the success rate would be really low.

May 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.