New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Spots on Sensor (D600)

ront
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Spots on Sensor (D600)

Ok, I really do not want to start another thread on this subject as it has been beaten to death, but I do have a question I am hoping can be answered.

I have had my D600 for maybe 3/4 of a year now. I have had spots on the sensor since day 1, but generally have not been too bothered by them. I did some shooting this last week end looking up in the sky and ended up with some shots at f/22. I found that I have lots of spots. Before I thought I had only dust bunnies, but now I think there are some oil spots also.

My question is, if the cameras being sent back to Nikon for this issue are having parts replaced to correct it, or are they just cleaning the sensor? If they are just cleaning the sensor, I may as well just get the stuff to clean it myself, but if parts are actually being replaced, then I want to send the camera in. I am not sure there is a definite answer on this, but thought I would ask.

Thanks for any info, Ron

May 30, 2013 at 11:40 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Spots on Sensor (D600)

3/4 of a year = how many shots?

I'd just clean it now and see how it goes. My D600 never had a spot issue.
Unless you are losing out on some warranty repair if a year goes by?
Don't think Nikon tells anyone what they do, or did...

May 30, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Spots on Sensor (D600)

I bought Photographic Solutions Sensor Swabs from B&H for my D7000 oil spot issues. It was about $14.00 + s&h. You get 4 swabs in the package. 2 swabs did an awesome job on my D7000. No more spots. My swabs were the 17 MM size for DX but they also have swabs for FX sensors, as well.

May 31, 2013 at 11:11 PM
esanker

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Spots on Sensor (D600)

I too have spots on my D600. I noticed it when I did a product shoot at f/22. I don't want to send it to Nikon yet and be without a camera for weeks. Anyway, I decided to buy sensor swabs from Photographic Solutions. When I got the swabs from the mail, I couldn't bring myself to use it. I figured the spots are not that obtrusive yet. I mean it's just a few spots and I can still clone the spots in LR. When it becomes bothersome enough I will clean it.

Jun 01, 2013 at 12:27 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Spots on Sensor (D600)

why would you send a camera to Nikon just to clean a dirty sensor? Do you really think they will do a better job than you can do yourself? It'll probably be billed to you as impact damage anyway.

It literally takes 5 minutes and I bet you spend more time cloning out the dirt in Lightroom than it would take to clean the camera. I do it every 500 shots and by now don't even find that much dirt any longer (2500 shots into the life of the D600)

Jun 01, 2013 at 03:35 PM
kendalltristan

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Spots on Sensor (D600)

I also had the issue early on. At first I sent it to Nikon and it got back to me clean, another few hundred shots and it was spotty again. I just bought some cleaning stuff from Adorama and watched a YouTube video for instruction. No new spots after about 3000 clicks. I'm at about 3500 now.

Jun 01, 2013 at 05:19 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Spots on Sensor (D600)

esanker wrote:
I too have spots on my D600. I noticed it when I did a product shoot at f/22. I don't want to send it to Nikon yet and be without a camera for weeks. Anyway, I decided to buy sensor swabs from Photographic Solutions. When I got the swabs from the mail, I couldn't bring myself to use it. I figured the spots are not that obtrusive yet. I mean it's just a few spots and I can still clone the spots in LR. When it becomes bothersome enough I will clean it.

. When I got my swabs, it took me a while to work up the nerve to do it. The first day I had the swabs I was going to tackle the task immediately. I went to the menu and flipped the mirror up. I confirmed that I could easily see the oil spots. But then I convinced myself that it wasn't really that urgent after all. I could work around it. I flipped the mirror back down and put the swabs away. Later, when I finally worked up the courage to tackle the job, it turned out to be very easy, actually. I'm a happy camper now. My sensor is spotless.

Jun 01, 2013 at 11:51 PM
markly86

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Spots on Sensor (D600)

I had mine for about the same amount of time and developed a lot of dust on the sensor, I thought it was oil too. I sent it in to Nikon in LA. They replaced the shutter mechanism and a few other unspecified part, did a complete clean and test and had it back to me in 10 days. All under warranty but shipping and insurance to LA was about $25. The said there was dust but no oil. I recommend sending it to Nikon. The new shutter mech. Is supposed to reduce dust. Do it while its still on warranty.

Jun 02, 2013 at 12:16 AM
heko

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Spots on Sensor (D600)

have my d600 for 4 months now I love the picture quality and dynamic range of it, but I have taken it 3 times so far to Nikon Canada and I still have oil spots on the top left side of my pictures. I dont think Nikon has really found any solution for the problem, and it is becoming annoying.
and now it is been a week and they told me that they are repairing it and they wont replace it
this is a nightmare

Jun 03, 2013 at 10:40 PM
heko

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Spots on Sensor (D600)

if you could get your money back just return it and wait till they fix the issue with d600

Jun 03, 2013 at 10:41 PM
nwadventurer7
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Spots on Sensor (D600)

nikon replaced my shutter...no questions asked

Jun 04, 2013 at 08:31 AM
nwadventurer7
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Spots on Sensor (D600)

nikon replaced my shutter...sent them the images shot at the sky at f 22, spots all over the sensor,not just the left side and they honored the warrantee.

Jun 04, 2013 at 08:33 AM
CameraBuff
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Spots on Sensor (D600)

How is your d600 now after the replacement of the shutter? I was looking to sell what little Canon gear I have just for the DR on this camera but this oil/dust issue has given me second thoughts. From what I have researched the shutter replacement does not solve the problem and even though you clean the sensor you could still get these spots the very next time you shoot if you are shooting at f11 or f16 etc. which I am at for landscapes (my primary subject) ??

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:30 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.