New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Flash TTL question

Robin Usagani
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flash TTL question

If your camera is in manual (aperture, iso, shutter are set), is flash TTL affected by the metering mode on your camera? Googling doesn't yield good results. Not a lot of documentations on this.

May 30, 2013 at 12:28 AM
erichard
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flash TTL question

On Canon, I believe Aperture priority makes TTL work in a "fill" mode, preserving the background at a properly exposed level if possible given sync speed limitations, ISO, brightness of the scene, etc. In manual, it isn't trying to do this (can't do this as you are setting the background exposure yourself in manual).
See:
http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index2.html#confusion

May 30, 2013 at 12:49 AM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flash TTL question

erichard wrote:
On Canon, I believe Aperture priority makes TTL work in a "fill" mode, preserving the background at a properly exposed level if possible given sync speed limitations, ISO, brightness of the scene, etc. In manual, it isn't trying to do this (can't do this as you are setting the background exposure yourself in manual).
See:
http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index2.html#confusion

this is my understanding as well.
I believe that in manual mode (body) and ettl, the flash will attempt to light the entire scene, rather than just fill the subject. you may need to ride the flash compensation in order to light just the subject properly.

I think this is also the case in Tv mode.

May 30, 2013 at 02:10 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flash TTL question

Robin Usagani wrote:
If your camera is in manual (aperture, iso, shutter are set), is flash TTL affected by the metering mode on your camera?

Yes, at least in the case of Canon cameras. The preflash will be read from the same area as the selected metering pattern: spot, center-weighted, evaluative, etc.

For example, if you use spot metering (I often do) you can set the spot over a particular area of the image, press the * or FEL button (depending on camera and settings) to initiate a flash reading and lock in the value, and then recompose and take the shot. That can give a different level of flash output than taking the same shot without Flash Exposure Lock if the two areas that the spot falls on have different exposure values.

Note that in Manual exposure mode, ETTL Autoflash will try to light the metered subject to a middle gray EV.

Edited on May 30, 2013 at 04:09 PM · View previous versions

May 30, 2013 at 04:05 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flash TTL question

BrianO, can you provide a link to verify this?

May 30, 2013 at 04:08 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flash TTL question

Robin Usagani wrote:
BrianO, can you provide a link to verify this?

I looked, but can't find anything at the moment.

I checked my 7D manual and my 580EX manual, and they don't really say much either. The 7D manual says that you need to select either Average or Evaluative in the ETTL Menu, so I may be wrong about it being set to the same area as the Metering Mode.

Both do, however, say that using FEL "locks the correct flash exposure setting for any part of the scene." (Emphasis added.)

I'm at work now (on my lunch break), but when I get home tonight I'll see if I can find out anything more. I think I still have notes from my last photography class or something along those lines. Speedliter's Handbook, maybe?

May 30, 2013 at 04:24 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flash TTL question

Edited on May 31, 2013 at 02:28 PM · View previous versions

May 30, 2013 at 09:55 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Flash TTL question

cgardner.. I dont think you answered the question.

May 30, 2013 at 10:33 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Flash TTL question

Robin Usagani wrote:
cgardner.. I dont think you answered the question.

SSDD.

May 30, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Flash TTL question

I have a black canon charger on my white wall. I used manual, spot metering and ETTL flash. Then I shot it with center weighted average. Both flash output looks the same.

May 30, 2013 at 10:44 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Flash TTL question

Robin Usagani wrote:
I have a black canon charger on my white wall. I used manual, spot metering and ETTL flash. Then I shot it with center weighted average. Both flash output looks the same.

What happens if you use FEL on the black charger?

May 30, 2013 at 11:07 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Flash TTL question

Edited on May 31, 2013 at 02:28 PM · View previous versions

May 31, 2013 at 08:26 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Flash TTL question

cgardner wrote:
I did actually, you just didn't understand the answer .

Regardless of exposure control ( manual or metered by camera) the flash metering performs a separate ambient metering as a baseline for comparing what the flash adds to each zone. In metered exposure modes like Av turning on flash will change exposure settings. That automatic compensation for flash overlap varies with brightness of the ambient and can be prevented by setting shutter / aperture manually.

Maybe I'm dim but I'm not understanding what your answer has to do with TTL readings in spot vs. center-weighted vs. evaluative in manual mode only.

brad Cook

May 31, 2013 at 08:55 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Flash TTL question

Edited on Jun 05, 2013 at 05:30 PM · View previous versions

May 31, 2013 at 09:00 AM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Flash TTL question

^ tl;dr

May 31, 2013 at 09:05 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Flash TTL question

Jamesbjenkins wrote:
^ tl;dr

Meters are designed to indicate an exposure that will render the measured surface as middle gray. The photographer must interpolate that reading to arrive at correct rendering.

May 31, 2013 at 09:07 AM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Flash TTL question

See. Now a few sentences are much friendlier than several paragraphs. Thank you!

May 31, 2013 at 09:16 AM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Flash TTL question

See. Now a few sentences are much friendlier than several paragraphs. Thank you!

May 31, 2013 at 09:16 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Flash TTL question

cgardner wrote:
Meters are designed to indicate an exposure that will render the measured surface as middle gray. The photographer must interpolate that reading to arrive at correct rendering.

Which still doesn't answer Robin's question. I think everyone in this thread understands what metering is. It's ok though it has now been answered in another thread.

brad

May 31, 2013 at 09:21 AM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Flash TTL question

Brad, I agree that it doesn't answer the question. I was making the point that there's no need for a novel every time you post.

May 31, 2013 at 09:38 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.