Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Gitzo GT2542LS

Bearmann
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Gitzo GT2542LS

I 'm thinking about this tripod. Things I desire include quick set-up and a weight of 4 pounds maximum (less would be better). Of course, if it's not stable, nothing else matters. I'm currently using the original Feisol 3471 which weighs 5 pounds. I'm looking for something lighter for travel. My largest lens now is the Canon 70-300L, but I could possibly see picking up a 100-400L if it's updated. I'll use a Markins M10 head with it. What are your thoughts? Would one of the other Gitzo tripods be more appropriate. Do the 3 section tripods with ALR and G-locks set up much faster than the 4 section?

May 30, 2013 at 04:13 AM
peter_n
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Gitzo GT2542LS

I use both 3 and 4 leg section tripods and to be honest, I don't notice that much of a difference in setup. I use a Gitzo 3-series systematic and the ALR is the biggest differentiator between the newer tripods and older versions. Both Gitzo and RRS make excellent tripods in the category you're looking at.

The 4 leg section Gitzo 2542LS weighs 3.9lbs, folds to 23.7", has a max height of 59.1" and can be bought at B&H for $800 until June 15.

The 3 leg section Gitzo 2532S weighs 3.8lbs, folds to 25.0", has a max height of 53.5" and sells for $650 until June 15.

The 3 leg section RRS TVC-23 weighs 3.2lbs, folds to 23.6", has a max height of 53.5" and sells for $830.

Normally a 4 leg section tripod folds to a shorter length than a 3 leg section tripod, but that isn't the case here for some reason. The 3 leg section RRS tripod folds smaller than the 4 leg section Gitzo, which is strange. Without regard to price, both 3 leg section tripods have a much lower max height than the 2542LS. If you're OK with that, I'd go with the RRS 3 leg section tripod over the Gitzo because of the shorter folded length.

I'm 5' 8" and the max height of those 3 leg section tripods would be too short, at least for me. The max height of my Gitzo 3-series is 57.5" which is just right. The updated range of systematics that Gitzo released in January of 2012 have stronger specs than their previous models and the reports have been good. My own tripod is the 3541LS which has been superseded by the 3542LS and I'm pretty sure this tripod I have now will outlast me. The 2-series tripods you're looking at are suitable for your M10 ballhead and if you were to go up to a 3-series because of stability concerns (which you shouldn't have) that would mean a larger ballhead too.

May 30, 2013 at 02:16 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Gitzo GT2542LS

I have the 2542L which I bought because I needed the extra height, great tripod, can't say enough good things about it. It is a taller tripod so for all the 4 sections it is still not tiny when folded. Gitzo say that the tripod is for up to 200mm lenses and I would concur, you would manage with your 100-300 but I wouldn't try using it with a 400mm lens, guy on LL forums was complaining about his 100-400 not being sharp at the long end on a 2 series gitzo due to stability issues.

May 30, 2013 at 02:26 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #4 · Gitzo GT2542LS

Thanks guys! By the way, I'm 5 feet 11 inches.

May 30, 2013 at 02:32 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Gitzo GT2542LS

I've got a half inch more than you. I just prefer eye height or nearer. When I see a composition I don't like to then have to shoot it from some 8" lower. Also made a difference for me when doing vertical stitching.

May 30, 2013 at 03:44 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #6 · Gitzo GT2542LS

I was thinking about the LS model rather than the L model since it's recommended for lenses up to 300mm. Does anyone know the diameter of the top plate on the 2542LS? I can't seem to find that information.

May 30, 2013 at 04:24 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #7 · Gitzo GT2542LS

I went ahead and purchased it. I'll let you know how I like it.

May 30, 2013 at 04:52 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #8 · Gitzo GT2542LS

I've received my GT2542LS so I thought I would post some random thoughts about it since there are few reviews of this tripod so far. For a general review of the new features of the most recent series of Gitzo systematic tripods, I would watch this introduction from Robert White: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZf1CRDq4LQ
To clear up a couple of questions that I had before purchase, the 2542LS does have the new rubber covered spikes like the larger series do. The top plate measure 7 centimeters in diameter.

First, let me say that the fit and finish appears excellent. I also own a first generation Feisol CT-3471 carbon and the original Manfrotto Carbon One tripod. I'm only saving 1.1 pounds in weight over the Feisol, but it's feels like more if you lift them both. I weighed them both on a postal scale to see if the manufactureres were being honest with me- they were. I haven't used the Gitzo outdoors yet, but it appears quite stable.

My understanding is that this is a new tripod in the Gitzo systematic series with no predecessors. Prior to January 2012 when this tripod was introduced, the systematic line began with the 3 series and went larger from there. Surprisingly, this tripod's load limit is rated at 25 kilos (55#), the same as the systematic 3 and 4 series. It is recommended for lenses up to 300mm. In comparison, the non-systematic 2542L is load rated at 12 kilos and recommended for lenses of 200mm (300mm max). The 2542L does save you quite a bit of weight, though, especially if you remove the center column.

I've never used the 2542L (or 2541L), but I know that some people replace the the center column with the the Markin's TB-20 base. I assume that the Gitzo ground level set feature (which allows you to remove the center column) is not sufficiently stable for some users? The 2542L with the Markins base must be prettty similar to the new 2542LS without the higher load ratings, but with monetary savings and a significant weight savings. Even with the expense of the Markins TB-20, it only fills about 40% of the price gap toward the cost of 2542LS.

Of course, the systematic tripods allow you to easily change between various options, such as adding a leveling base or a column. But don't jump to the obvious conclusion, pardner! I emailed Gitzo, and they do not make a leveling base for the systematic 2 series and have no plans to so so at this time. (Correction: see my post below) I haven't seen a center column which can be added either, though I did not specifically ask about this. If there are no plans for any optional attachments, there was no need for the removable plate at the top. However, the plate does seem to be attached quite securely, so I don't think they would have gained much, if any, added stability if they had gone for a single top piece design.

Anyway, those are my initial thoughts. From here, the proof will be in the pudding with some real world usage.

Edited on Jul 18, 2013 at 04:38 PM · View previous versions

Jun 21, 2013 at 01:05 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #9 · Gitzo GT2542LS

I'm using a RRS leveling base on my Gitzo 3541LS systematic, which is from the series design immediately prior to the most recent design update. This leveling base won't work with the replacement 3542LS which is a pity, as the RRS leveling base is a much neater design than the Gitzo product.

RRS makes a 2-series leveling base in models TA-2-LB and TA-2-LC; without and with a clamp. It may fit your tripod, it's worth a call or email to find out. If it fits their center columns may work too or a Benro/Induro center column may work as they're Gitzo clones. Feisol also make a small(ish) leveling base as well.

Jun 21, 2013 at 03:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #10 · Gitzo GT2542LS

Didn't know about the Benro/Induro center columns, but I doubt I'll get a center column anyway. It's good information to have in this thread, though. I have a Feisol leveling base, but it's specific for that tripod. I didn't know they made a generic one. The RRS generic leveling base is rather tall and heavy. I'm not sure I'll buy another leveling base. Sunwayfoto and Acratech makes them too.

Jun 21, 2013 at 03:56 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Gitzo GT2542LS

actually the RRS that fits the previous gen Gitzo systematic is not a generic design. it was designed to fit both RRS and the at the time Gitzo model.

as to the weight of the RRS it is far from "heavy" in its class.

for the versa 2 tripod it weighs in at 11.6oz
for the series 3 tripod (which I use) it weighs in at about 11.6oz too with the hook and longer length.

the Gitzo systematic level weighs in at 1.32lbs down from over 2lbs of the previous version

the design/build of the versa tripod and its interchangeable platforms is far superior to the gitzo

Edited on Jun 21, 2013 at 06:19 PM · View previous versions

Jun 21, 2013 at 05:57 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #12 · Gitzo GT2542LS

Of course you are correct. I was going from flawed memory of this review:

http://www.scvphotoideas.com/2012/08/sunwayfoto-dyh-66i-leveling-base-review.html

Jun 21, 2013 at 06:11 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Gitzo GT2542LS

I think sunway has some nice product but just lacks some refinement overall. mechanically they run true.

Jun 21, 2013 at 06:22 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #14 · Gitzo GT2542LS

Bearmann wrote:
Sunwayfoto and Acratech makes them too.

I had forgotten about the Acratech leveling base but it only gives you 10 of movement rather the the 15 provided by most other bases.

Jun 22, 2013 at 03:08 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #15 · Gitzo GT2542LS

I didn't see any Benro/Induro central columns at B&H which will fit a systematic 2 series. I couln't find a Feisol leveling base either which is not specific to their tripods. I'm not currently looking for myself, but thought this thread would be a nice reference in the future for someone who has or is considering the GT2542LS.

Jun 23, 2013 at 06:26 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #16 · Gitzo GT2542LS

I couldn't understand why you couldn't use the same accessories as the 3 and 4 series systematics after I found out that all of these use the same 70mm top plate. I emailed Gitzo again, and they corrected their response. You can use GS3121LVL which is a leveling base that fits Series 2-3-4. I would assume that this is true for any other top plate accessories.

Jul 18, 2013 at 04:44 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #17 · Gitzo GT2542LS

So the new Gitzo systematics are using a 70mm leveling base and not a 75mm leveling base?

Jul 19, 2013 at 01:38 AM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #18 · Gitzo GT2542LS

Well, the removable top plate on the GT2542LS is 70mm, which I think is the same as the 3 & 4 series. The model number of the leveling base was provided by Gitzo. I'm not sure what the measurements on it are.

Jul 19, 2013 at 02:15 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password