Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Canadian buying gear at B+H NYC store

cheem
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Canadian buying gear at B+H NYC store

A buddy of mine is in NYC at the moment and the clerk told him if he pays the local NY state tax then he doe not need to declare anything at the Canadian border - somehow that does not sound right. I would imagine he needs to declare at the border and pay whatever is owed in Canada and possibly remit for a refund of NY state tax.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

May 29, 2013 at 06:07 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Canadian buying gear at B+H NYC store

The clerk is wrong. He definitely should declare the purchase to CBSA. If it exceeds his tax free limit, then he'll have to pay sales tax. Sometimes, they (CBSA) ask you to pay tax and a "blended duty" rate, which is bogus, because cameras and lenses from the US should be duty free, regardless of where they're made. He can quote this thread, if they dispute this blended duty issue. Of course, he can quote the B&H clerk if they notice that he imported an expensive, undeclared dohickey.

It used to be easy to get a refund of local taxes paid outside of Canada (esp. in the US, UK, and Europe), when you bring it into Canada. It's not so easy now, and I think it's not possible in many cases.

If you buy something online from B&H when you're in Canada, you don't have to pay NY taxes. In fact, they've (B&H) recently offered a new service where you pay the Canadian (provincial) sales tax and a reasonable handling fee to B&H at the time of purchase, and there are no extra fees when it gets delivered. In comparison with the alternatives (except for USPS, where in might fly under the radar), it's a good deal. OTOH, you have to pay for shipping.

P.S. lighting and other accessories might be subject to duty - just sayin'.

May 29, 2013 at 08:28 PM
cheem
• •
p.1 #3 · Canadian buying gear at B+H NYC store

Thanks for your insight - it echos my thoughts on declaring on the Canadian border and requesting tax rebates (Good luck with that!) from NY state.

I have ordered from B+H to Canada and love their new(ish) the price is the price option via Purolator. I think Adorama recently started doing the same thing.

May 29, 2013 at 09:31 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Canadian buying gear at B+H NYC store

You're welcome.

OTOH, rats! I just noticed a classic grammatical error in my reply. I typed,

"The clerk is wrong. He definitely should declare the purchase"...

This means that the clerk should declare the purchase. I should have typed,

"The clerk is wrong. Your friend definitely should declare the purchase"...

May 29, 2013 at 09:39 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #5 · Canadian buying gear at B+H NYC store

you'd definately be up for taxes regardless of the local US sales tax.

I'm tempted to try adorama again with their new fedex shipping (pre paying taxes). Most things come in cheaper with adorama, plus they seem to allow US Nikon products too.

May 30, 2013 at 03:26 AM
cheem
• •
p.1 #6 · Canadian buying gear at B+H NYC store

I don't think my buddy was trying to evade paying taxes - he just did not want to pay them to the state of NY and the Canadian Gov't. I think his only recourse will be to try to get a refund from NY state because they will hit him at the border for sure...

May 30, 2013 at 09:55 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

henryp
• • •
p.1 #7 · Canadian buying gear at B+H NYC store

cheem wrote:
A buddy of mine is in NYC at the moment and the clerk told him if he pays the local NY state tax then he doe not need to declare anything at the Canadian border...

I'm not sure about Canada in particular but I know for some countries if you buy gear here and use it while you're here, the amount you have to pay going home is reduced or eliminated.

jcolwell wrote:
If you buy something online from B&H when you're in Canada, you don't have to pay NY taxes. In fact, they've (B&H) recently offered a new service where you pay the Canadian (provincial) sales tax and a reasonable handling fee to B&H at the time of purchase, and there are no extra fees when it gets delivered. In comparison with the alternatives (except for USPS, where in might fly under the radar), it's a good deal. OTOH, you have to pay for shipping.

That's Purolator ground shipping + B&H customs clearance. Not so new anymore. BTW, if you buy in our store and take your stuff with you we're required to collect NYC sales tax. If your order is shipped to any address inside NY state we're required to collect sales tax at the tax rate of the destination. For orders shipped within the USA to any other state no tax is added at this time.

We will entertain a price-match inquiry at any time. Call us (800.606.6969 / 212.444.6615) or email sales[at]bhphoto.com. We need to know the item and the other retailer.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

May 30, 2013 at 03:39 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Canadian buying gear at B+H NYC store

Tax on B&H purchases is one of the bad parts of living in NY State.

May 31, 2013 at 11:01 PM
cheem
• •
p.1 #9 · Canadian buying gear at B+H NYC store

Savas K wrote:
Tax on B&H purchases is one of the bad parts of living in NY State.

I live in Canada (Ontario) and am used to paying 13% HST but add the NY State tax (8.875%) on top of that and all of a sudden my buddies $4000 purchase becomes $5000.

Jun 01, 2013 at 12:27 AM
henryp
• • •
p.1 #10 · Canadian buying gear at B+H NYC store

cheem wrote:
I live in Canada (Ontario) and am used to paying 13% HST but add the NY State tax (8.875%) on top of that and all of a sudden my buddies $4000 purchase becomes $5000.

8.875% is the tax rate for New York City, not for the state. In NY state, tax rates vary from county to county and city to city. For example, in Rochester it's 8%.

You wouldn't be liable for both if you ship your order from us to your address in Canada.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Jun 03, 2013 at 08:33 PM
cheem
• •
p.1 #11 · Canadian buying gear at B+H NYC store

henryp wrote:
8.875% is the tax rate for New York City, not for the state. In NY state, tax rates vary from county to county and city to city. For example, in Rochester it's 8%.

You wouldn't be liable for both if you ship your order from us to your address in Canada.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Hi Henry,

Understood - I have bought from B+H numerous times by the method you describe, it is most excellent. The price is the price and I get my order from NYC to Toronto in 48 hours.

The purpose for creating this thread was to ask people's experience in buying local in your store and carrying the items across the border. My buddy bought $4000 worth of gear local at the NYC store and the clerk told him that if he pays the local NYC tax then he would not need to pay it again at the border. This would be correct if the items were shipped to the destination by B+H but this was not the case.

Admittedly my friend was naive to the ways of the Canadian Border Services Agency policies on such matters.

Jun 03, 2013 at 10:20 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password