Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2013 · What made you a better wedding photographer?

paparazzinick
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · What made you a better wedding photographer?

form wrote:
Was it...reading? Practicing specific concepts outside the work environment? Actual wedding experience? Workshops? Asking questions? Studying poses in magazines/etc.? School/college courses? Mentoring?

I just know that I'm not getting anywhere on the road I'm on, and that's no good. I want to get better at posing and general composition. How does one become as good as the best? I want to know. I have probably over a thousand hours logged taking wedding photos now, and the time really hasn't done me much good beyond making me aware of some things to avoid. It hasn't made me significantly better at posing people
...Show more

What made me better was confidence. Seriously!!! When I first started out, my work was decent and we had 40 brides each year for the 1st 2 years. Then we were doing 50 a year for a while. So we must have been decent right But we were not real confident and we were nervous for every wedding.

Over time, the more we shot, the more comfortable we were with doing this. After our 5th season, we just rolled out of bed one day and had the attitude of, "we got this shit, this is easy, we are comfortable doing this" And from that point on things just clicked and worked. It was like a switch was flicked when we got the confidence we needed. It was also at the same time when we decided to do 25-30 weddings a year and not 50.

If you have been there then you know what I mean. It is hard to explain, its something you need to experience as a photographer. Some get that feeling early on, some never get it and some get it after a few years. So my advice to anyone who wants to get better. Just keep doing it and over time, you will.

I never did workshops, I didn't go to school for this (graphic design is what I did), I dont read books either. I just do stuff until I master it and then I just keep pushing the limits.

May 29, 2013 at 09:04 PM
form
• • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · What made you a better wedding photographer?

paparazzinick wrote:
What made me better was confidence. Seriously!!! When I first started out, my work was decent and we had 40 brides each year for the 1st 2 years. Then we were doing 50 a year for a while. So we must have been decent right But we were not real confident and we were nervous for every wedding.

Over time, the more we shot, the more comfortable we were with doing this. After our 5th season, we just rolled out of bed one day and had the attitude of, "we got this shit, this is easy, we are comfortable
...Show more

I appreciate this idea. I know of someone else who had a similar thing happen: One day it just started clicking, and everything fell into place after that. However, it hasn't happened to me. Lately I have been attempting to pay less attention to the photographers who are better than me and just try to take good photos...but my imagination goes to zilch. For the last wedding, I think I probably did pretty well for candid photos, but the posed ones were very weak for me. In fact, the last 2-3 weddings I would put in a similar category.

I'm not there yet. I have shot for more than 5 seasons, and I have relaxed somewhat as compared to last year, but in fact I feel like I am doing worse.

May 29, 2013 at 10:07 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · What made you a better wedding photographer?

form you're on the right track. when i just f' the rest of the world is when i got my confidence and got better. i am writing a blog post on how i stopped caring what other photographer do and how i am just concentrating on myself and my own clients.

best of luck buddy.

May 29, 2013 at 10:45 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.