Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · What made you a better wedding photographer?

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · What made you a better wedding photographer?

Was it...reading? Practicing specific concepts outside the work environment? Actual wedding experience? Workshops? Asking questions? Studying poses in magazines/etc.? School/college courses? Mentoring?

I just know that I'm not getting anywhere on the road I'm on, and that's no good. I want to get better at posing and general composition. How does one become as good as the best? I want to know. I have probably over a thousand hours logged taking wedding photos now, and the time really hasn't done me much good beyond making me aware of some things to avoid. It hasn't made me significantly better at posing people or composing images or seeing from a photographic perspective...e.g. line, form, texture, etc...

So what did it for you?...

May 29, 2013 at 03:09 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #2 · What made you a better wedding photographer?

Well, not constantly second-guessing one's self, being filled with negativity and self-loathing. That was one of the first things.

Once you learn all the basics, it's practice just the basics for quite a while. Exposure, white balance, composition, etc.

Then it's finding inspiration in the work of other photographers you really admire. Break down their work, and figure out why you like it so much. Then take those parts and meld them into your style. Let their style assimilate with yours.

Then just practice, practice, practice.

May 29, 2013 at 03:18 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · What made you a better wedding photographer?

How do you learn best?

May 29, 2013 at 03:23 PM
Brian Virts
• • •
p.1 #4 · What made you a better wedding photographer?

life experiences

May 29, 2013 at 03:23 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #5 · What made you a better wedding photographer?

I really must not know the basics very well. I get reminded every so often of various deficiencies in my knowledge base. I will have one pretty decent shoot where I feel fairly good about how I handled it and think, "maybe I'm finally getting it," and then the next wedding comes along and I'm as lost as ever. Some weddings are definitely easier than others...but when they're hard, I seem to falter a lot.

May 29, 2013 at 03:24 PM
widjayaman
• • •
p.1 #6 · What made you a better wedding photographer?

the right workshops can be invaluable - I personally am a 'see it' person and once I see the stuff I have been reading put into practice the light bulbs went off.

May 29, 2013 at 03:26 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #7 · What made you a better wedding photographer?

You have been talking about posing for a year+ that I have been following the wedding forum. So I turn the question to you, what have you done to improve your posing in that year?

May 29, 2013 at 03:28 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #8 · What made you a better wedding photographer?

Tony Hoffer wrote:
How do you learn best?

I don't know, I never really had the option. I had what was available and that was it. When I first started I was broke and reading about exposure basics. I also read about lighting angles for portraits, and some sank in while other stuff left me. I haven't typically been able to afford workshops and there are few local wedding photographers who are good enough for me to take seriously. That said, even the ones whose photos I don't think are very good...probably know some things I don't. However, finding those things would be a needle/haystack situation.

I think (but don't know for sure) that the biggest problem I have in learning is that the things I want to learn seem to be beyond my awareness - and if I can't identify exactly the problem (e.g. why a pose doesn't work, etc.), then I can't figure out what I don't know. You only can see what you know to look for.

Edited on May 29, 2013 at 03:35 PM · View previous versions

May 29, 2013 at 03:31 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #9 · What made you a better wedding photographer?

The best thing I did to improve was to stop comparing my rejects to everyone else's highlight reels. You only see the absolute best of everyone else's work, but you see all of your garbage. That can skew your perception of what you should be producing or where the bar really is set. Stop looking at other people's work. Of if you are really determined figure a way to hack into some well-known people's full galleries and you'll see that their overall work is no better than yours.

- trr

May 29, 2013 at 03:32 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #10 · What made you a better wedding photographer?

TRReichman wrote:
The best thing I did to improve was to stop comparing my rejects to everyone else's highlight reels. You only see the absolute best of everyone else's work, but you see all of your garbage. That can skew your perception of what you should be producing or where the bar really is set. Stop looking at other people's work. Of if you are really determined figure a way to hack into some well-known people's full galleries and you'll see that their overall work is no better than yours.

- trr

We've discussed that before...but I want a highlight reel of my own. I want to make those artistic, extremely nice photos of the b&g or the wedding party. I want to do that. I want to know how to pick spots and what to look for. I want to be able to see what angles and combinations work best. And I want to know how to properly frame it all...

I want my own highlight reel. Right now, most of my posed photos are in the reject list.

May 29, 2013 at 03:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #11 · What made you a better wedding photographer?

What's stopping you? Your negative outlook has been well-documented here. I would contend that the people who you idolize were able to identify what they wanted and were tenacious enough to workout what the problem was and didn't stop till they figured it out. If you aren't willing or able to do that then you may not be cut out for this.

Or, you need to stop trying to make your work into what you see other people are doing and figure out what you're best at and maximize that.

- trr

May 29, 2013 at 03:47 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · What made you a better wedding photographer?

form wrote:
I don't know, I never really had the option. I had what was available and that was it. When I first started I was broke and reading about exposure basics. I also read about lighting angles for portraits, and some sank in while other stuff left me. I haven't typically been able to afford workshops and there are few local wedding photographers who are good enough for me to take seriously. That said, even the ones whose photos I don't think are very good...probably know some things I don't. However, finding those things would be a needle/haystack situation.

I think
...Show more

I wasn't talking about photography, but learning in general. In school how did you learn best?

May 29, 2013 at 03:50 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · What made you a better wedding photographer?

Step 1) Stop looking at other people's work and do your own thing.
Step 2) Go see a doctor.

May 29, 2013 at 03:53 PM
Brian Virts
• • •
p.1 #14 · What made you a better wedding photographer?

I bet many throw away their best work.

May 29, 2013 at 04:01 PM
MattSepeta
• • •
p.1 #15 · What made you a better wedding photographer?

It's like trying to get a girlfriend in junior high. The more you stress about it, the more you will notice the lack of girlfriend, and the more you will drive the girls away.

I mean this in the most constructive way possible; stop posting about your "problems" on FM and focus on enjoying photography.

Get out and shoot.

Go shoot something you have never shot before, like hot air balloons or dirt bike races or an opera performance, or nude models or fine cuisine. Whatever! Just stop worrying so much about it. If you are unable to get over this fundamental hurdle, you will never be happy with your career path.

May 29, 2013 at 04:02 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · What made you a better wedding photographer?

Dude those shots you posted a while back asking about framing or context or whatever were great. They were not the best but lets get real not every shot and every wedding is going to be "OMG" over the top good.

Jackie and I have struggled to find our creative voice as well. I really love shooting my large format film cameras but lately all of them have been breaking and my shots look like crap. This year I feel like I have taken a giant step back with my LF film stuff. But life goes on and I have to keep my head up or risk losing out on business.

Figure out how you learn best and most importantly what inspires YOU. Do not try to be anyone but yourself. You are not Hoffer, or Pignol, or Hassas. You are Joey. Once you can embrace the fact that you are you and not worry about everyone else like Todd suggests you will be much happier with your work.

You do not have to be happy with everything you do because we always need to be pushing ourselves but you can certainly know that you did a good job with something. The couples you shoot will cherish anything you give them. If you have an off day it's life. It happens to everyone.

I would say that at this point your photography is good enough that you should be focusing on learning business stuff because IMO that will make you more money. I am not saying you are a bad business man but you can only learn so much technical stuff from workshops etc. before it just becomes redundant and a waste of money. Business stuff is much more valuable IMO.

May 29, 2013 at 04:04 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #17 · What made you a better wedding photographer?

Despite my FM Registered date, I am a complete noob in this wedding/portrait business. In the last year or two since inception, I have learned alot by....

- talking with other photographers. It helps to see different perspectives. Learn from their experiences.
- listen to clients. Sometimes it can be painful. Learn humility.
- talking with service oriented business folks. It doesn't have to be photographers. Customer service is universal.

My next learning goal is the craft of negotiating.

May 29, 2013 at 04:13 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #18 · What made you a better wedding photographer?

Tony Hoffer wrote:
I wasn't talking about photography, but learning in general. In school how did you learn best?

I learned both from hands-on experience and reading, though reading was never solid until it was reinforced by hands-on.

May 29, 2013 at 04:13 PM
trevanian
• •
p.1 #19 · What made you a better wedding photographer?

I think I'm getting better by practice, reading, and videos. I do think not being happy with your work is a good motivator to get better, as long as the confidence to be better exists. Confidence is important but it comes easy to me as my parents raised me to be confident, bit arrogant and a I can do anything mentality.

May 29, 2013 at 04:23 PM
HubbardJA
• • •
p.1 #20 · What made you a better wedding photographer?

TRReichman wrote:
Of if you are really determined figure a way to hack into some well-known people's full galleries and you'll see that their overall work is no better than yours.

- trr

Haha... guilty.

May 29, 2013 at 04:23 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password