Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Prime-Lens-Zoom : or, how to crop you happy

heikoM
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Prime-Lens-Zoom : or, how to crop you happy

Hi

as I got the new D600s with 24 MP and the possibility so switch to 1.5 crop mode in a matter of 1 second I start thinking:

Many want light, versatile equipment. But instead we lugg around big zooms or go primes and carry 3-4 (or more) to be versatile.

We all learned cropping is bad, because you loose image-quality, increase depht of field and it is often considered bad style. "compose in camera" is what the pros do, right?

I want to keep it simple (as I am faster on more creative), don,t want to lugg around and change lenses the whole time. With 24 MP I have all the reserves I need.

Last wedding I used the 28/1.8 on one body and the 50/1.4 on the other. Not more. When more reach was needed I just switched to crop mode and had a 75/1.4 (or something like that because DOP increases).

When this still was not enough I could crop in post. Faster then any lens change would have been, and sure more convinient then carry more lenses. I can crop to a equivalent of a 100 mm lens (12 MP) or even tighter, as I think even 9 MP is still enough.

Bottom line, 2 very lightweight lenses, one 28 (you could even crop here to 35) and one Prime-Lens-Zoom (ha) 50 - 135.

(As I am writing this, I get quite excited of the possibility of being sooo light and versatile)

What do you think?

heiko

Edited on May 29, 2013 at 02:38 PM · View previous versions

May 29, 2013 at 12:51 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Prime-Lens-Zoom : or, how to crop you happy

I'm not sure what the question is here. That said, if you find your kit is too heavy, try substituting a 24-70 zoom in place of all of the primes you mention.

May 29, 2013 at 01:58 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.1 #3 · Prime-Lens-Zoom : or, how to crop you happy

Hm,

did you read my post? (0:

May 29, 2013 at 02:32 PM
widjayaman
• • •
p.1 #4 · Prime-Lens-Zoom : or, how to crop you happy

if you think the 24MP is awesome for cropping, try it with D800 files. It's really mind blowing the amount of detail it captures that yes, in a sense longer focal length is not as crucial.

May 29, 2013 at 02:38 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password