Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Suggestion for critical manual focusing pls.

ozmen

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Suggestion for critical manual focusing pls.

I am about to buy D800 and 85mm PC-E lens for tabletop product photography.
I have seen many complaints about poor quality interpolated D800 liveview.
I need suggestion,
Which works best for tilt/shift critical manual focusing?
- Liveview from D800 LCD viewfinder with/without third party loupes like Zacuto.
- Liveview from external tethered monitor.
- Focusing from optical viewfinder by using Nikon DG-2 (x2) magnifying eyepiece or DK-17M (x1.2)

May 29, 2013 at 04:15 AM
plsand
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Suggestion for critical manual focusing pls.

Hi -
I, too, am critical - I use LV, and blow it up with the + on camera - Having, I think, great results -
Paul

May 29, 2013 at 05:19 AM
ozmen

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Suggestion for critical manual focusing pls.

Hi Paul,

Do you use any facusing aid such as magnifiying eyepiece or LCD loupe?

May 29, 2013 at 05:31 AM
plsand
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Suggestion for critical manual focusing pls.

Back to you -
No loupe - I tried a very good magnifying glass once - Found beter results just picking a very small detail in the picture, and making it sharp - A small thing blown up on your screen is a very small thing in the final picture -
Enjoy -
Paul

May 29, 2013 at 05:43 AM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Suggestion for critical manual focusing pls.

I would try it first before buying something. With the latest firmware LV was improved.
I'm using the DK-17M, it helps a little.
You can get CamRanger for WiFi tethering with an iPad, I read a lot of good things about it (it's not cheap; $299,00).
With older models you could use alternative focus screens, but with the D800(E) I can't find them.

May 29, 2013 at 06:00 AM
talexander
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Suggestion for critical manual focusing pls.

Do you have a computer nearby? You can use digicamcontrol which is free and it lets you step the autofocus in extremely tiny incriments or just manual focus with tethered live view.

Tim

May 29, 2013 at 11:05 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Suggestion for critical manual focusing pls.

Thought the LV on the D800 looks worse than the D700, it's still very usable for manually focusing, especially for objects that have a lot of contrast.

I've started using Helicon Remote with my Samsung 7.7 Tab for manual focusing with low contrast landscape subjects and it really helps. So if the built-in LV is not working for you then one of the full resolution remote viewing software solutions may be for you.

John

May 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM
ozmen

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Suggestion for critical manual focusing pls.

Thank you all.

I will try without buying anything with camera LCD first as Chris suggest.
But no LV interpolation issue improvement listed under firmware at Nikon site.

Tim, yes I shot tethered to a Mac with Capture One all the time in studio.
I have seen Control My Nikon but heard the CamRanger first time. I think I will need a Windows PC to be able to use both software.

John, since I shoot raw and do post production a lot, I prefer to shoot into workstation directly. So I guess I need to pay for a Helicon Remote for Mac instead of free download for a tablet. But first I will try camera LV by increasing contrast and sharpness settings.

May 29, 2013 at 03:48 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Suggestion for critical manual focusing pls.

While focusing you will never see the full pixel detail from the D800 because the camera omits rows of pixels. That affects LiveView and anything external that sees what LV shows it, including cameras and zacuto finder.

You can enhance contrast and sharpness settings to "improve" the LV image but if you go too far then everything will look sharp even when it really is not. Plus general image previews will look way overcooked.

I have not yet tried shooting with a tethered computer. I'm guessing that it offers a better pixel view but I don't know if it does so before taking a shot or only after taking a shot (in which case you would not see the effects of any changes until you take another shot).

A magnified viewfinder image only helps for seeing the middle of the image, which is not the best way to judge the setting up of a PC-E lens.

I've tried a DK-17M magnifier and found that the bottom and top of the viewfinder image were not focused the same, as if the magnifier was not mounted incorrectly. Not sure what is wrong, but to see best overall focus I have to lower my viewpoint off-axis and then I cannot see the whole viewfinder image. I've abandoned the DK-17M option for now but one day I will try it out on my D3s for comparison.

An external accessory that has its own focus assistance in the form of flashing highlights at areas of high contrast - which we would hope indicates critically sharp focus - is probably the best option if you cannot see it for yourself in the viewfinder.

Unfortunately there is no optional focus screen from Nikon that would work better with a specific lens than the default focus screen. MF with anything wider than f/2.8 or perhaps f/2 is more difficult than it ought to be because of the focus screen DOF characteristics. So too at f/5.6 or f/8 because the focus screen tends to go disproportionately darker.

- Alan

May 30, 2013 at 09:05 AM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Suggestion for critical manual focusing pls.

ozmen wrote:
Tim, yes I shot tethered to a Mac with Capture One all the time in studio.
I have seen Control My Nikon but heard the CamRanger first time. I think I will need a Windows PC to be able to use both software.

Copied from their website:
CamRanger allows wireless control of your Canon or Nikon DSLR directly from your iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, and now Mac computer.
PC (Windows 7/8) and Android versions are in development and will be free and use the same CamRanger device.
Estimated availability dates
Windows Beta: May 14th
Android Beta: Late May/Early June

May 30, 2013 at 03:10 PM
esanker

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Suggestion for critical manual focusing pls.

I own the DK-17M and still prefer LV for critical focus.

May 31, 2013 at 02:18 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.