Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · BLOGSTOMP Question

BostonGreg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · BLOGSTOMP Question

I'm curious to know what settings others use to import their image files from LR4 into Blogstomp. I feel like my images look better in Lightroom before being compressed & sharpened by BS. If there are any Blogstomp users here, I'd love to hear what settings you use to achieve the highest IQ possible. Do you guys use the BS sharpening tool or rely solely on LR for sharpening and only use BS to compress?

NOTE: I am using a ProPhoto Blog by NetRivet...Images from Blogstomp all go on my blog and one or two teaser images go up on Facebook. So I'm looking to optimize IQ for both my blog and for our Facebook business page.

Here is how I export my files from LR4 before I import them to Blogstomp:

Export to : Specific Desktop Folder

Image Format : JPEG

Quality : 100%

Color Space : sRGB

Resolution : 240 ppi

All images to be blogged are exported from LR with STANDARD SHARPENING FOR SCREEN

Once my images are uploading I drag all the files into Blogstop V2.12

My Blogstomp settings are:

Image Width : 900

Border Width : 4

Margin : 4

Tab Height : 60

My sharpening settings in BS is 30%

I use this application often and want to make sure I'm maximizing it's potential. A new version of the app has just been released and with wedding season getting into full swing here I'd love to hear some tips from other BS users. Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

May 29, 2013 at 05:57 AM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · BLOGSTOMP Question

My only solution (for FB) is to reopen the stomped files in photoshop and save PNG copies of them to put on Facebook.

May 29, 2013 at 08:06 AM
heikoM
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · BLOGSTOMP Question

At least I make somethinng wrong there. I use Aperture and what I understand, as the master files are not in sRGB and will be turned into sRGB once you export them as JPEG I see some problems, I think.

When using Blogstomp I have found to get quite muddy colors, not visible in ervery pic but in some it was awful. I talked to blogstomp and they said I first had to resize the pics and import them to a different folder and then use blogstomp to export them to my blog? That is double work, isnīt it? So I dumped it.

Any suggestions what I could do?

May 29, 2013 at 09:58 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · BLOGSTOMP Question

heikoM wrote:
When using Blogstomp I have found to get quite muddy colors, not visible in ervery pic but in some it was awful. I talked to blogstomp and they said I first had to resize the pics and import them to a different folder and then use blogstomp to export them to my blog? That is double work, isnīt it? So I dumped it.

Any suggestions what I could do?

I've never had problems with it, but this is exactly what I do. I'm already exporting all edited jpegs into a separate folder anyway. From there I batch resize selected images for the blog and make collages in BS from the resized (900px) images with no sharpening beyond what LR does at export.

May 29, 2013 at 12:57 PM
eephoto
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · BLOGSTOMP Question

Could your resolution be to high? I don't know if that makes a big difference but that resolution is closer to what you would use for print then screen. Try 72 as your max for web viewing.

May 29, 2013 at 01:03 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · BLOGSTOMP Question

I do output full-size from LR for stomping, but there is no reason to sharpen full-size images out of LR AT ALL. That's just going to produce noise in BS images.

I do agree FB rapes the quality. You used to be able to upload specific sizes and skip the recompression, but I think they convert everything today. I think Candi has a good idea. (for FB)

I think my BS sharpening is only set to 10. I also found moving up to 1000px helped. For some reason, that 900 range softens things.

May 29, 2013 at 04:29 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · BLOGSTOMP Question

heikoM wrote:
At least I make somethinng wrong there. I use Aperture and what I understand, as the master files are not in sRGB and will be turned into sRGB once you export them as JPEG I see some problems, I think.

When using Blogstomp I have found to get quite muddy colors, not visible in ervery pic but in some it was awful. I talked to blogstomp and they said I first had to resize the pics and import them to a different folder and then use blogstomp to export them to my blog? That is double work, isnīt it? So I
...Show more

Blogstomp will always export with the colour space of the imported images. It's a pain but rustle yourself up a quick Automator action to convert the folder of outputs to sRGB and you'll be golden.

May 29, 2013 at 05:04 PM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · BLOGSTOMP Question

Thanks everyone for their imput. This definitely helps. I'm going to export at 72ppi from LR and lowermy BS sharpening to 10. I think I'll also try moving up to 1000px although my Blog platform does say 900 is best...but I'm down to try anything and see what the results look like. CK that is a great idea for Facebook teasers, thank you for sharing!

May 29, 2013 at 08:28 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · BLOGSTOMP Question

Use FULL SIZE from LR. DON'T re-size. That won't help at all.

May 29, 2013 at 08:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BostonGreg
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · BLOGSTOMP Question

So I export from LR at 100% JPEG and then import them into BS, right?

240ppi or 72ppi?

And when you guys export from LR4, do you click on "SHARPEN FOR SCREEN" ? I normally "sharpen for screen" at LOW. They offer LOW, NORMAL or HIGH sharpening settings. This is obviously after I apply normal sharpening in the develop module of LR.

May 29, 2013 at 09:07 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · BLOGSTOMP Question

thanks, will try it...

May 29, 2013 at 09:29 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · BLOGSTOMP Question

No re-sizing out of LR.

No "extra" sharpening out of LR.

May 29, 2013 at 10:23 PM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · BLOGSTOMP Question

By No re-sizing out of LR you mean export at 100%, right? Do you export at 72ppi or 240ppi?

May 30, 2013 at 04:06 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · BLOGSTOMP Question

No-resizing means uncheck it completely. The rest won't matter, then. It will output at full size.

May 30, 2013 at 05:54 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · BLOGSTOMP Question

I thought I'd give blogstomp a try. Just crashes! Get's to file 53 and just says "we had an issue" then doesn't load anymore. Hardly great for something that is meant to improve workflow.

May 30, 2013 at 11:17 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · BLOGSTOMP Question

I'd venture to say that's an issue with your personal system. I regularly stomp 100+ files with no problem. How much ram do you have?

May 30, 2013 at 03:38 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · BLOGSTOMP Question

amonline wrote:
I'd venture to say that's an issue with your personal system. I regularly stomp 100+ files with no problem. How much ram do you have?

Indeed it is, I understand the problem now. Blogstomp is bulk compressing high res files, so it does depend upon your system spec. I've got 8GB of RAM, i7-2630QM @ 2.00GHz, NVIDIA 2.0GB, 750GB (forget the type, but regular, non SSD), Win7 (that might be useful for anyone else looking). It manages around 60-80 high res (25MP) files, so I just did it in sections.

I've had a play now, seems quite good. I think I like it.

May 30, 2013 at 03:46 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password