Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Slow shutter?

D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Slow shutter?

Anyone using slow shutter to get motion into the pics? (Not talking here necessarily about dancing shots.) Would like to hear about what you're doing. [Doug hardlyboring had mentioned that Canerino was doing this.]

May 29, 2013 at 04:32 AM
mgauthierphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Slow shutter?

Only when I'm shooting motocross for fun.

May 29, 2013 at 04:44 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Slow shutter?

D. Diggler wrote:
Would like to hear about what you're doing.

I'm not sure what you're asking here. I think a lot of people use slow shutters pretty often.

May 29, 2013 at 04:54 AM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Slow shutter?

Use the slow shutter and a rear flash for some good combinations.

May 29, 2013 at 05:10 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Slow shutter?

I have been trying it more lately....between 1/30 and 1/60.
Now Chuck can do it better ... and so can Merkle and 90% of what they do is based on how they see the world but having a slow shutter on some of the shots does help.

Depends on the effect you want. If your subject is stationary and other things in the composition are moving about it can make a more interesting photo IMO.

People also use the slow shutter with cars passing or people walking etc.

I was mostly referring to using a slow shutter speed during PJ work to show a little real life movement. Slow shutter speeds for people running or cars or other special effects is totally another subject.

May 29, 2013 at 05:12 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Slow shutter?

I have been practicing a lot lately dragging my shutter and tracking with movement so that the background has motion to it but the people in the image are mostly sharp

May 29, 2013 at 05:53 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Slow shutter?

hardlyboring wrote:

I was mostly referring to using a slow shutter speed during PJ work to show a little real life movement.

Yeah, this is my interest.

May 29, 2013 at 06:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Slow shutter?

joelconner wrote:
I have been practicing a lot lately dragging my shutter and tracking with movement so that the background has motion to it but the people in the image are mostly sharp

You're talking other than dancing shots, right? Any tips as to successful use of this technique?

May 29, 2013 at 06:48 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Slow shutter?

D. Diggler wrote:
You're talking other than dancing shots, right? Any tips as to successful use of this technique?

You don't need as slow of a shutter as you might think...1/20 or 1/30 is usually sufficient. Try using your focus point marks in the viewfinder as a reference point. That way, as you are tracking with their movement, you can keep the subject in roughly the same place in the frame

May 29, 2013 at 01:38 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Slow shutter?

I use drag the shutter (receptions)

May 29, 2013 at 02:07 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Slow shutter?

D. Diggler wrote:

Flash to freeze the action.

May 29, 2013 at 02:07 PM
Bartlett Pair
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Slow shutter?

Pretty obvious, but the wider your lens the easier it will be to handhold at slow shutter speeds. Image stabilization is similarly helpful, as it is forgiving of handholding yet doesn't compensate for subject movement.

As for the reception dancing shots (with light streaks etc.) my personal preference is so that everything in the picture is sharp but with added light streaks. To get that result, I like to start by temporarily turning my flash off and setting my camera settings so that pretty much the entire frame is black except the light sources themselves (which will create the streaks). You can use as slow of a shutter speed as you want, since only the light sources will be exposed without flash, so you don't have to worry about subject blur. Then just add your bounced/OCF flash etc to expose the whole scene. This technique ends up looking very different from what ppl like Hoffer/Chuck have been doing recently, so there are certainly many ways to approach this.

May 29, 2013 at 03:23 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Slow shutter?

Slow Tv to portray movements is not new. Key is to pan along with the subject. Done it a few times depending on the lighting conditions.
It's like tracking a race car or BIF only at different speeds. Also consider using deeper DoF.

I wonder when that focus while zooming style be making a come back.

May 29, 2013 at 04:04 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Slow shutter?

Bartlett Pair wrote:
This technique ends up looking very different from what ppl like Hoffer/Chuck have been doing recently

What technique do they use?

May 29, 2013 at 11:08 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password