Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 2nd shooting this weeking. Advice needed.

agelessphotog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 2nd shooting this weeking. Advice needed.

I have been asked to be a 2nd shooter this weekend by my wife. The bride said she would like me to get on the other side of her and the groom to get some expressions. Sounds cool to me. Even though I have never done this before. I will feel like everyone will be starring at me. I notice some people take some of the shots of the bride and groom from this position also. The kiss and some other shots. I would be scared to do that because I would be afraid I would be in the photos of the main photographer. Anyone have any advice or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. There will be a stone fence/wall about 3-4 ft tall right behind the groom and bride. I may bend down behind it and shoot from there.

I am just going to try to get some expressions. Details at the wedding and reception. Some candid's. Can anyone give me advice on getting a good bouquet toss?? I am guessing one of us will get in front of the bride and the other maybe a side shot. In front of the bride would focus on the bride. Taking a shot from the side focus on the people trying to catch it would be best I am guessing. I don't have a lot of experience as a 2nd shooter. Any help appreciated. Or any other ideas on being creative.

My gear includes a D600 which my wife will be using. I will be using a D5100. Two flashes. SB700 & SB600. Primes 35 1.8g, 50 1.8g, 85 1.8g. 55-200 vr. 1 stand with 1 umbrella. I will also be using the stand and umbrella for OCF for my wife during the formals.

May 29, 2013 at 01:34 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 2nd shooting this weeking. Advice needed.

Inch your way there, then hurry. I did this on Saturday. Just get back there and barely peak around. A few people might notice, but they'll notice you're being discrete. Give it a minute then slide out a bit more and make it look like you just need a bit more space. Then keep going till you get there. If you get there slowly enough people won't care.

Or do it during a prayer.

May 29, 2013 at 01:58 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 2nd shooting this weeking. Advice needed.

It's a great place to be up front when it's a venue that it is doable it's my favorite spot to be. Just act like you belong and be respectful. If the bridesmaids and groomsmen are standing they will block most people's view of you.

By the way I'm assuming your wife is the main photographer. If not then leave the camera at home IMO and definitely don't do things that would possibly interfere with main photographer if you don't leave the camera.

May 29, 2013 at 02:02 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 2nd shooting this weeking. Advice needed.

is it just Ohio that basically prohibits photographers from going anywhere near the bride and groom or the front at all during the ceremony? I see photos from all over the damn place on here and every time we ask to move around up front or even from behind we are shut down with a "this is a holy sacrament...be glad we are allowing you to shoot from the back"....
Even our more liberal ministers have these rules.

You are lucky

Tony has good advice.

May 29, 2013 at 02:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

agelessphotog
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 2nd shooting this weeking. Advice needed.

I really appreciate the advice. I should have given you guys more details. It is an outdoor ceremony. And the Bride said she wanted me to get behind them during the ceremony to get some expressions. Since it's outdoors it will be easy. I just won't really have anything to hide behind. As I mentioned earlier there is a short stone wall probably 15 to 20 ft from behind the groom and bride. I may try to use that wall to kneel down some and be more discreet. I just started thinking maybe I should get some shots of the bride and groom from there also. I was just a little nervous about it because I am thinking I will stick out from there. But the bride and groom both said they do not care how close I get or where I am at they are only concerned about getting great shots. They said not to let anything hold me back at all.

May 29, 2013 at 02:45 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 2nd shooting this weeking. Advice needed.

So it sounds like the only issue is your stage fright and people looking at you? Don't worry about it. Yes, you're standing up there for all the world to see but no one is looking at you. As long as you're not dressed outlandishly or a have ridiculous haircut otherwise seeking attention, no one is looking.directly at you. They came to see their friend/family mender get married. And of it's outdoors and hot the only thing they are thinking about is how soon it will be over and the neatest air condition.

May 29, 2013 at 06:04 AM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 2nd shooting this weeking. Advice needed.

hardlyboring wrote:
is it just Ohio that basically prohibits photographers from going anywhere near the bride and groom or the front at all during the ceremony? I see photos from all over the damn place on here and every time we ask to move around up front or even from behind we are shut down with a "this is a holy sacrament...be glad we are allowing you to shoot from the back"....
Even our more liberal ministers have these rules.

You are lucky

Tony has good advice.

we don't do it in "official" churches...

May 29, 2013 at 02:53 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password