Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Sigma 35 1.4: Anyone been using over the 35L?

joosay
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Sigma 35 1.4: Anyone been using over the 35L?

Got the Sig35 a few moments ago...just in time for the wedding. Can't wait to see what this lens can do.

May 31, 2013 at 02:22 PM
Mykal
• • •
p.2 #2 · Sigma 35 1.4: Anyone been using over the 35L?

The sig 35 is great. I prefer it to Nikon's 35 1.4.

May 31, 2013 at 02:30 PM
joosay
• • •
p.2 #3 · Sigma 35 1.4: Anyone been using over the 35L?

So far so good! I've used it in two weddings and 4 corporate events. I've had to apply MA moments before the first wedding though but once I figured that out, it's been a fantastic lens!

Jun 07, 2013 at 01:51 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.2 #4 · Sigma 35 1.4: Anyone been using over the 35L?

I've never done any focus micro-adjustment on any lens I've ever owned. I see it in the menu on my D3s, but how do you know you're adjusting it properly? Just plain old trial and error?

Jun 07, 2013 at 02:04 PM
joosay
• • •
p.2 #5 · Sigma 35 1.4: Anyone been using over the 35L?

Yeah, I don't do anything scientific or use the chart. I just focus on something and look in the viewfinder and adjust accordingly until I get it right.

Jun 07, 2013 at 02:28 PM
DavidCZ
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · Sigma 35 1.4: Anyone been using over the 35L?

I am thinking about getting rid of 35L and give the Sigma 35 1.4 a try.

I used to Nikon's 35G 1.4 a lot. Nikon's 35G is a lot sharper than my Canon's 35L.

I shoot 35G at 1.4 all the time knowing that the photo will be tack sharp. But with Canon's 35L, I have to shoot at 1.6 or 1.8 from time to time. From the review, Sigma will be even sharper than 35G. So I will give Sigma a try down the road.

Jun 07, 2013 at 04:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

D. Diggler
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Sigma 35 1.4: Anyone been using over the 35L?

Jamesbjenkins wrote:
I've never done any focus micro-adjustment on any lens ... how do you know you're adjusting it properly?

James you should check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zE50jCUPhM

Haven't tried it, myself, yet but it's supposed to work.

Jun 07, 2013 at 06:09 PM
marko1953
• • •
p.2 #8 · Sigma 35 1.4: Anyone been using over the 35L?

I have spent a couple of hours today testing the focus with this lens on my 5D3. One technique (doesn't just apply to this lens) is to enable the "display focus point" option. On playback on the camera a little red square shows exactly where your focus point was on the image. Now you zoom in to see how accurate the focus is on that point. Obviously this only works for this purpose if you have one focus point enabled. I found I had to micro-adjust to about +7, still not every shot is in focus, about 95% I would say. It is very sharp when it nails focus.

Jun 08, 2013 at 10:45 AM
lsutigerfan
• •
p.2 #9 · Sigma 35 1.4: Anyone been using over the 35L?

bought on FM & used extensively this w/e on D800. Perfect focus accuracy...eh..near perfect.

Lovely lens. Bokeh ranges based on f/stop -- not bad @ all. about like canon 35L in many areas. Hard to compare since I had the bad AF system of the 5d2, so its hard to comapre with newer d800 mated to newer designed siggy 35. The AF on the 35L is faster hands down, and may be a better lens @ infinity. However.....the Coma and flare of the 35L is QUITE high. But for the Siggy. I wouldn't pay $900 new (I paid $810 used), nor would I pay the 35L new price. WAY TOO HIGH!! The 35L is built arguably tougher for long haul. It's a tough call. Okay, get Sigma 1st and rent 35L to compare. Or buy 35L on Amazon and compare to your USED copy of SIgma and return NIKON of course for full refund -- and later buy used for less price if you like better. You'll lose probably ZERO on Sigma since demand is so high, Amazon will give 100% refund on new Nikon, and then you are left with your choice -- if its indeed the 35L.

Jun 11, 2013 at 05:22 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.2 #10 · Sigma 35 1.4: Anyone been using over the 35L?

Ken Rockwell says he wouldn't "soil his bag" with the Sigma
But Ken is usually trash talk

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM
derbarrett
• •
p.2 #11 · Sigma 35 1.4: Anyone been using over the 35L?

I had to dial in a -6 micro adjust on my a99 but afterwards that baby was spot on!! This lens is the real deal!

Jun 12, 2013 at 02:32 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password