Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Film scanners: Epson V750-M vs. Plustek 7600/8100/8200

j.liam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Film scanners: Epson V750-M vs. Plustek 7600/8100/8200

This has probably been asked before. I don't expect a flatbed to be nearly as good as a dedicated film scanner (...or is it?) but how much of a real-life difference is there? --previous threads on this subject don't reveal a clear answer--

The Plusteks seems finicky and tedious while the pricey but improved 120 (higher rez, automatic feed) has not been heard from since they recalled the first batch.

Do you really gain significant DR and tonality with the Plustek?

I plan to shoot B&W but have loads of old color negatives and slides I'd like to digitize.

Thanks in advance to those taking the time to share their experience.

May 28, 2013 at 08:10 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Film scanners: Epson V750-M vs. Plustek 7600/8100/8200

Have you checked out this link?

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson%20V700/page_1.htm

May 29, 2013 at 09:19 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #3 · Film scanners: Epson V750-M vs. Plustek 7600/8100/8200

As someone who has a V700 and used top of the range Nikon scanners I would argue the V700 is the better choice...for some!!

Absolute ultimate scan quality might not be as good.....but part of the problem for many is that it takes a bit more effort to get the best from a flatbed scanner.....experimenting with the height adjusters is a must. And knowing how to adjust the settings.

The V700 is a versatile scanner in the range of formats it can scan and the number it can batch process in the back ground...leaving you to do other things such as work with the scans as they are being generated.

The review given above (and several others) is what persuaded me to go for the V700...I am pleased I did. I only work with B+W film.......but I get sharp A3 prints from 35mm negs. Prints from MF negs are obviously somewhat better!!

May 30, 2013 at 10:42 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Film scanners: Epson V750-M vs. Plustek 7600/8100/8200

anthonygh wrote:
As someone who has a V700 and used top of the range Nikon scanners I would argue the V700 is the better choice...for some!!

Absolute ultimate scan quality might not be as good.....but part of the problem for many is that it takes a bit more effort to get the best from a flatbed scanner.....experimenting with the height adjusters is a must. And knowing how to adjust the settings.

The V700 is a versatile scanner in the range of formats it can scan and the number it can batch process in the back ground...leaving you to do other things such as work
...Show more

This is good news. Adorama and B&H just dropped the price of the V 750 to $799 and been debating. I too am only interested in this for B&W (plan to shoot 100 ISO or slower) and wondered about the quality. Plustek seems to have repackaged the same scanner over and over (7600/8100/8200) without any improvement beyond additional included software. The Plustek 120 looks more robust but can't be had in the US nor is it affordable.

Jun 03, 2013 at 07:54 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Film scanners: Epson V750-M vs. Plustek 7600/8100/8200

I have used the V750 for many years. I only use the holders for proof quality scans. For best quality I wet scan with Kami liquid direct to the platen. The time spent in wet mount scanning is rewarded with a flat clean scan of the highest resolution.

Scanning directly to the platen eliminates the extra glass of Epsom's wet scan holder and insures you are in the optimum plane of focus for the scanner's shallow DOF. I never need/use the time consuming noise reduction software.

Aztek wiill sell you a complete wet scan kit-not cheap but the results are amazing. The Aztek people sell the big drum scanners-they know scanning. They recommended direct platen wet mounting.
http://www.aztek.com/Epson%20V750%20KAMI%20Kit.html

The Kami liguid is not oily. It is volatile-evaporates and leaves a dry clean negative. Don't let it leak from the platen into the guts below. A few drops will do. Leave the windows open or use a fan if you can smell it and don't leave the big bottle uncapped the stuff is flammable-no smoking!

Jun 08, 2013 at 04:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #6 · Film scanners: Epson V750-M vs. Plustek 7600/8100/8200

SoundHound wrote:
I have used the V750 for many years. I only use the holders for proof quality scans. For best quality I wet scan with Kami liquid direct to the platen. The time spent in wet mount scanning is rewarded with a flat clean scan of the highest resolution.

Scanning directly to the platen eliminates the extra glass of Epsom's wet scan holder and insures you are in the optimum plane of focus for the scanner's shallow DOF. I never need/use the time consuming noise reduction software.

Aztek wiill sell you a complete wet scan kit-not cheap but the results are amazing.
...Show more

I want to experiment with this approach in the near future although for now I am more than happy with the prints I am getting...but I am always keen to extract a little more quality from the kit I already own!!

Jun 08, 2013 at 06:29 PM
xvvvz

p.1 #7 · Film scanners: Epson V750-M vs. Plustek 7600/8100/8200

I haven't looked lately, but Kami for years Kami had a demonstration that had the lens setting in the software set incorrectly, so make sure you are setting yours correctly. Also, scanning off the platen/glass bed is usually less than optimal because 1) the lens that is supposed to focus at the glass platen is not the lens Epson claims to be the higher resolution lens and 2) when scanning off the glass you don't have a way to adjust the film height to compensate for a lens that is quite often not precisely focused right at that glass bed level.

Most people I know find the V700 to be the better deal over the V750. I have yet to see a valid, well controlled, scientific comparison that shows the V750 to optically superior to the V700.

Doug
---
www.BetterScanning.com

Jun 09, 2013 at 02:03 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Film scanners: Epson V750-M vs. Plustek 7600/8100/8200

I agree that the V700 is a better deal since I don't use the holders or software and wet scan. I believe the holders have a tab that contacts a button on the V750 to shift the optical scanning plane up to the holder. Otherwise, my wet mount scans are well focused and even on 35mm (and certainly on 6X6 and larger)
the limitations on on the film (grain/focus/etc) and not the scanner.

Nov 06, 2013 at 03:47 PM
tived
• • •
p.1 #9 · Film scanners: Epson V750-M vs. Plustek 7600/8100/8200

Guys using the Astek, will that work on my Epson V700?

sorry to hi-jack the thread!

Henrik

PS: I am looking for a solution for scanning 8x10 slides on my Epson V700 without getting Newton Rings or moire patterns

PPS I am in australia

Nov 08, 2013 at 12:50 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Film scanners: Epson V750-M vs. Plustek 7600/8100/8200

Nikon 9000ED is the best, but they can only be found for huge gouge premiums at this point so the cost is very fierce.

Nov 08, 2013 at 01:00 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password