New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Leica USA lube and clean

jonesyallday

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica USA lube and clean

So I have a Leica R 60mm elmarit that I recently purchased. Both the optics and mechanics seem pretty good to me, however, the focus ring is a little tight, smooth but a little tight. Since I will be using it for video I would like it to move a little more freely.

I have been told that you can send it to Leica USA for a lube and clean, the problem is they will not say what it will cost, not even a rough estimate. I understand that it is different for all lenses, but they won't even give me an idea of what they generally charge for something like this without first seeing the lens. If they were right down the street this would be no big deal but I have to ship it to them and risk damage/loss, not to mention pay for shipping.

So, does anyone have any experience with this process? Can you give me an estimate on the cost, or at least what you paid?

May 28, 2013 at 12:47 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica USA lube and clean

jonesyallday wrote:
So I have a Leica R 60mm elmarit that I recently purchased. Both the optics and mechanics seem pretty good to me, however, the focus ring is a little tight, smooth but a little tight. Since I will be using it for video I would like it to move a little more freely.

I have been told that you can send it to Leica USA for a lube and clean, the problem is they will not say what it will cost, not even a rough estimate. I understand that it is different for all lenses, but they won't even give
...Show more

I would go for DAG. Leica charge me $260 for CLA for my previous cron50 Rigid. but really they did nothing. I did the service as the lens is already there and at the time, I am going to travel and my brain is hot and have some budget to mess around. My 50cron is smooth and clean before CLA.

I bet they will at least charge about the same if you have problem with focusing. My 35cron R and M both went to DAG. DAG will do the work at $100~120 zone. the work is satisfying.

May 28, 2013 at 01:07 PM
telyt
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica USA lube and clean

No personal experience but in LA, Steve Choi has an excellent reputation for Leica service:

http://www.stevecamera.com/

May 28, 2013 at 01:21 PM
jonesyallday

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica USA lube and clean

I kinda like that option Doug since I'm in San Diego. I'd prefer to only have to ship to LA over shipping to NJ. I'll give them a call later.

May 28, 2013 at 02:52 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica USA lube and clean

Prime lens are not that hard to put apart and do work yourself. I wouldnt touch zooms (especially not anything modern with AF, even ROM ones are tricky), but primes are in fact quite simple devices.

Otherwise its bit disappointing to read that Leica service center did nothing and it cost a lot.. Im quite positive this wouldnt happen in Germany.

May 28, 2013 at 04:57 PM
jonesyallday

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica USA lube and clean

Mescalamba, this sounds a little scary to me. Is it really pretty easy and safe? I just called Steve's in LA and they charge $285, which to me sounds like a lot. I am definitely hesitant to try it myself, but if I can save $285, then I would be motivated to learn. $285 to clean and lube a lens? Ouch!!!

May 28, 2013 at 05:22 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica USA lube and clean

Why not DAG? The most respected craftsman for Leica! Just saying.

May 28, 2013 at 05:41 PM
jonesyallday

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica USA lube and clean

zhangyue wrote:
Why not DAG? The most respected craftsman for Leica! Just saying.

Just called him. He was super nice. Gave me a quote for like $125. Told me that he could set the focus to my desired tightness. Gave me some other options regarding aperture and what not. What a difference good service makes.

May 28, 2013 at 05:52 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica USA lube and clean

jonesyallday wrote:
Just called him. He was super nice. Gave me a quote for like $125. Told me that he could set the focus to my desired tightness. Gave me some other options regarding aperture and what not. What a difference good service makes.

Great!

May 28, 2013 at 06:30 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leica USA lube and clean

That seems as fine price for that stuff.

May 28, 2013 at 06:32 PM
ocean2059
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leica USA lube and clean

I have had my Leica M lenses, Zeiss ZM lenses, and Konica M mount lenses serviced by DAG over the past five years. His craftsmanship is exceptional and his price is also very reasonable. Highly recommended. Be aware that DAG is very busy so the turnaround time may be a bit longer but it's worth the wait!. Another excellent Leica repair person is Sherry Krauter. I have my Leica R lenses serviced by her recently. She has done superb work and is very knowledgable of all Leica equipment. But she doesn't work on any Leica digital M bodies, nor does she work on Leica LTM bodies. For Leica LTM bodies and lenses, I would highly recommend Youxin Ye - great work and reasonable prices.

May 28, 2013 at 07:27 PM
telyt
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leica USA lube and clean

jonesyallday wrote:

Yes DAG's service is excellent. Turnaround can be an issue because he is well-known and has no shortage of business.

May 28, 2013 at 07:33 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leica USA lube and clean

Steves camera in Culver City does a great job also, had my lens and leica M9 adjusted by them great people and fair

http://www.stevecamera.com

Phil

May 28, 2013 at 07:52 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Leica USA lube and clean

Ill +1 DAG, S. Krauter and Youxin Ye.

125 is a good price, I would take DAG up on his offer and just wait.

May 28, 2013 at 08:09 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Leica USA lube and clean

Mescalamba wrote:
Prime lens are not that hard to put apart and do work yourself. I wouldnt touch zooms (especially not anything modern with AF, even ROM ones are tricky), but primes are in fact quite simple devices.

I wouldn't touch zooms, or lenses with floating elements that move, or expensive lenses.

May 28, 2013 at 09:15 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Leica USA lube and clean

jonesyallday wrote:
Since I will be using it for video I would like it to move a little more freely.

DAG's quote to is reasonable compared to Leica NJ. Youxin's prices are even more reasonable but he is not able to collimate lenses for focus accuracy. I have used both DAG and Youxin and can recommend their services.

Not sure if you are using the lens solely for video? If yes, you could consider calibration, cine mod and declicking aperture ring for a very reasonable fee at duclos.

http://www.ducloslenses.com/pages/cine-mod

May 28, 2013 at 10:09 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Leica USA lube and clean

jonesyallday wrote:
I have been told that you can send it to Leica USA for a lube and clean, the problem is they will not say what it will cost, not even a rough estimate.

Indeed, have you contacted Leica yourself yet? I say it as a point of curiosity.

I had an M3 and Summaron 35 LTM reconditioned by Don and I felt pretty comfortable with the value of the service he rendered. I'd say that he's not the fastest but he was honest about what needed what and where not to put labor.

May 29, 2013 at 12:50 AM
JaKo
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Leica USA lube and clean

+1 Steve's Camera Service Center

How timely; last week I carelessly forced focusing ring past infinity stop on Leica Elmarit 28, which resulted in over rotation past MFD and infinity stops. Boxed the lens, shipped to Steve's Camera, received confirmation email advising on timeline and a day later I received a phone call advising that the lens is fixed. It appeared that the problem was fairly simply and Steve's Camera performed repair with no charge. If this isn't it a great customer service, what is?

May 29, 2013 at 06:09 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Leica USA lube and clean

If Leica's service is the same as it was a few years ago, I'd stay away. Very far away. You're better off with DAG or one of the other options above.

May 29, 2013 at 06:40 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.