Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · D800 will not turn on without a grip attached

Mykal
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800 will not turn on without a grip attached

I bought a used D800 and a new Meike Vertical Battery Grip. Tested the D800 without the grip and it worked fine. Put on the grip and it worked fine but now if I change the battery in the grip or if I remove the grip the camera will not turn on from the internal battery and I have tried several different batteries which are fully charged.

I switched the battery order to camera first and the camera still will not recognise the battery in the camera. I know this because if I place a fully charged battery in the camera and a partially charged battery in the grip the camera shows the partially charged grip battery even though it's selected to show the camera battery first.

I do have another D800 with another Meike Grip and it does not have this problem.

Any ideas?

May 28, 2013 at 02:53 PM
BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800 will not turn on without a grip attached

Might be something in your settings. Go into the menu, and change it to use the camera battery first. Maybe something isn't registering when the grip isn't attached.

May 28, 2013 at 02:56 PM
Mykal
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800 will not turn on without a grip attached

Ben did you read through my post lol? I did change the battery order and that did not help.

May 28, 2013 at 03:03 PM
Mykal
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800 will not turn on without a grip attached

Doing a two button reset does not help.

May 28, 2013 at 03:05 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800 will not turn on without a grip attached

that sucks, hope it isn't buggered. Sorry, I have no idea.

May 28, 2013 at 03:10 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800 will not turn on without a grip attached

quick, beg for a nps sponsor. that and bogus grips are the rage here these days.

May 28, 2013 at 04:10 PM
corndog
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D800 will not turn on without a grip attached

Something funky going on with the battery door switch perhaps? Try pressing it manually.

May 28, 2013 at 04:28 PM
Mykal
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D800 will not turn on without a grip attached

corndog wrote:
Something funky going on with the battery door switch perhaps? Try pressing it manually.

Tried it and it does not work. Thanks for the suggestion though.

May 28, 2013 at 04:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

corndog
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D800 will not turn on without a grip attached

I don't know how the battery specifically connects to the camera, but perhaps the contactors on the grip protrude more than they do on the battery and have caused the contactors in the body to yield enough that they no longer make contact with the battery? Conceptually, maybe you've seen the same thing with light bulb sockets where sometimes you have to bend the center tab back out in order for it to make contact with the bulb. And maybe the camera is just being tweeky, might be worth trying a different firmware revision.

May 28, 2013 at 05:00 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D800 will not turn on without a grip attached

Try cleaning the contacts.

May 28, 2013 at 08:11 PM
Mykal
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D800 will not turn on without a grip attached

The battery contacts looks exactly like the other D800. Can't see contacts that's receding or protruding. The camera has the latest firmware but I did the update again and no joy.

Cleaned the contacts and it's still not working.

May 28, 2013 at 10:56 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D800 will not turn on without a grip attached

When the camera wont turn on with the internal battery do you at least see the top LCD display paint the camera-off information (ie, shots remaining, etc..)? Or nothing?

May 28, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Mykal
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D800 will not turn on without a grip attached

There is nothing. The top LCD is blank.

May 29, 2013 at 12:05 AM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D800 will not turn on without a grip attached

Try using the grip from your other D800, put it on, see that it works, take it back off and see if it works. If so, maybe something in the grip is confusing the camera, maybe a crazy idea, it's all I got Understand, you do so at your own risk. I take no responsibility of both cameras wind up doing it!

Jun 05, 2013 at 11:27 AM
kenbass

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D800 will not turn on without a grip attached

My D800 is in Melville for the same thing. I do not have a grip, but it would not turn on and no display on top LCD. I have not heard from them yet, it arrived there 2 days ago. I only had about 100 shots on it too. Kinda disappointing for sure.

Jun 12, 2013 at 06:47 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password