Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Cigarette smell on used D800.

tryan56
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Cigarette smell on used D800.

I purchased a D2H years ago from a fellow on FM, paid him $2400 at that time (ugh !). When I got the camera, it reeked of smoke. I mean, reeked. At the time , that was the most cash I had ever spent on one photographic item, and I was just sick about it. Although I loved the camera, I could not get past the odor, and I sold it a month later. Lost a bunch of money on the resale, but learned a lesson in the process. When I buy something used, I always ask if the seller is a smoker. If they are, it's no sale for me.

Not sure if there are effective ways of removing that odor, but hope that this experience worked out ok for the OP.

May 30, 2013 at 05:44 PM
jphendren
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Cigarette smell on used D800.

"but hope that this experience worked out ok for the OP. "

I returned the camera to KEH, and bought a like new D3 instead. The D3 is awesome, so it worked out fine.

May 31, 2013 at 11:12 AM
InlawBiker
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Cigarette smell on used D800.

I know you sent it back to KEH, which is exactly what I would have done. But as an aside, I have bought two cameras now that reeked of smoke. I got them terribly cheap because of it. In both cases the smell went away by itself within a month. I just left them in a well ventilated area.

May 31, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Jon_Doh
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Cigarette smell on used D800.

I don't mean to be crass, but what kind of idiot would smoke around an expensive tool like the D800? As others have pointed out tar residue will infiltrate the smallest crevices and leave a gummy residue that can damage the camera.

May 31, 2013 at 01:09 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Cigarette smell on used D800.

Jon_Doh wrote:
I don't mean to be crass, but what kind of idiot would smoke around an expensive tool like the D800? As others have pointed out tar residue will infiltrate the smallest crevices and leave a gummy residue that can damage the camera.

Probably the same guy that smokes in an expensive new car. Replacing new car smell with cigarette smoke is a great move, but not quite as classy as tossing a used cigarette out the car window while driving on the freeway.

May 31, 2013 at 01:19 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Cigarette smell on used D800.

Jon_Doh wrote:
I don't mean to be crass, but what kind of idiot would smoke around an irreplaceable organ like their lungs? As others have pointed out tar residue will infiltrate the smallest crevices and leave a gummy residue that can cause cancer.

Just replace a few words and you have a PSA

May 31, 2013 at 01:35 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Cigarette smell on used D800.

I also received an item that had smoke smell this week, I was not happy about it. It is a lens, and a special one at that. I first wiped the lens down with a damp paper towel, I cleaned the front and end glass with a lens cleaner towelette from Zeiss, very gently, then wiped dry gently with a lens chamois. I tossed the leather bag he sent it in, a nice gesture if he didn't smoke, I think it's actually laying in the bed of my truck after I threw the boxes away today I had. I threw everything away it came in, box, bubble wrap. I want no part of it. As an Ex smoker, I am among the most particular about this there is.

In my opinion, it should be REQUIRED to declare if you are a smoker with the sale of all used Photographic equipment. I forgot to ask this time. He said it had been kept in a non-smoking portion of his house. Well, let me just say that plan didn't work out so well. If you smoke in a house, you smoke, if you smoke in a car with the gear, you smoke. It permeates everything, I hate it so bad. I forgot to ask on the last 2 items i bought, I got luck on my D800E, non-smoker. The lens, I lost but it will clean up eventually. He said he hadn't owned it to long. The bag, he may have had for a while.

Jon, smokers smoke around most things they own. For one, a smoker cannot smell smoke oder the same way a non-smoker does. So, other than smoke film on glass in a car, he or she probably sees it as a non-issue.

The cillia inside their nasal passages is probably burned off, therefore they do not have that sensitive level of smell that a non-smoker typically does, bad allergies excepting... I know because my level of smell increased drastically, and I could smell that bad smoker oder then. I stopped and thought, what had I been putting people through for years. I couldn't believe it. Good news for anyone buying used from me that I bought new, it's all smoke free. I have been quit longer than I have had a Nikon habit. :-) In fact, I probably paid for a good bit of my Nikon habit with what used to be Cig. money! That's a positive thing.

If you smoke quit, if you don't smoke, don't start.

Jun 04, 2013 at 08:38 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Cigarette smell on used D800.

good to know mogili007. The lens I got that was smoked, is a 28 1.4D! So far, I have only used water and a little windex lightly to clean on mine, and letting it air out. We'll see if I have to seek altnernate solutions.

Jun 04, 2013 at 09:57 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Cigarette smell on used D800.

Just ran across this about cigarette smoke third hand.
http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/3-cancer-scares-know-now-145400347.html
There is a very real danger from these things.

I used to smoke several packs daily, and couldn't smell cigarette smoke. Once I stopped smoking, I could smell it.

Jun 10, 2013 at 02:11 PM
taat2d
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Cigarette smell on used D800.

I had the same problem when I bought my used D3s. It took awhile to totally be rid of the smell. I used Magic Tree air freshners in the bag with the camera until the smell finally went away.

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:14 PM
ZoneV_Nikon
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Cigarette smell on used D800.

3D.Doug wrote:
I also received an item that had smoke smell this week, I was not happy about it. It is a lens, and a special one at that. I first wiped the lens down with a damp paper towel, I cleaned the front and end glass with a lens cleaner towelette from Zeiss, very gently, then wiped dry gently with a lens chamois. I tossed the leather bag he sent it in, a nice gesture if he didn't smoke, I think it's actually laying in the bed of my truck after I threw the boxes away today I had. I threw
...Show more

Doug,

That 50/1.2 AIS was and still is flawless! Never would have guessed you were an ex-smoker. Best condition of any lens ever, store or private owner. Thanks.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:41 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.