New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Backup in the field

jstephens62
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Backup in the field

I am looking for advice on strategies to back up photo files in the field.

I used to use back up to a small Asus laptop, with a second copy to a WD USB hard drive. Since I stepped up to a 5D MIII however, I find the file sizes are large enough now that this method is very slow, and not practical.

I recently got a second hand Colorspace Hyperdrive, which sounded good in therory, but I find clunky and difficult to use, especially trying to copy to the separate hard drive. Reminds me of Windows 95.

I like the idea of having 2 copies of my files, but I am not content with either of the strategies I have tried so far. With memory cards so cheap now, I could see having one copy on cards, and a second on the Hyperdrive.

What work flow would FM members for backing up files when away from home?

Any advice appreciated.

May 27, 2013 at 04:50 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Backup in the field

On my 5D3, I use the "Image Copy" function to copy files from the CF card to an SD card. Transcend makes a 128GB SD card that is very affordable ($132.66 on Amazon as of today). If you're not emptying the CF cards, then you've now got two copies of the files. Of course, you could then copy to a laptop, Hyperdrive, etc. for even more redundancy, but I prefer not to carry extra gadgets unless absolutely necessary.

May 27, 2013 at 05:02 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Backup in the field

I usually travel with a 12", 3lb. laptop that has two internal 1TB drives (actually one is a 960GB SSD) and then have a third (external) USB 3.0 drive. I also have a 1TB Hyperdrive and three 1TB Nexto ND2700s, some of which I use if traveling light.

If you are using a laptop, then use Breeze Downloader Pro. It allows (Windows) users to download to 1, 2 or 3 drive targets simultaneously without the performance loss of multiple, manual copies. You can watch the thumbnails zip by during the download. I always make three data copies (two in the computer and one external) for redundancy. Usually I put the external drive in the luggage.

EBH

May 27, 2013 at 05:46 PM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Backup in the field

mitesh wrote:
On my 5D3, I use the "Image Copy" function to copy files from the CF card to an SD card. Transcend makes a 128GB SD card that is very affordable ($132.66 on Amazon as of today). If you're not emptying the CF cards, then you've now got two copies of the files. Of course, you could then copy to a laptop, Hyperdrive, etc. for even more redundancy, but I prefer not to carry extra gadgets unless absolutely necessary.

I am selling my hyperdrive this week because of the 5d3 ability to have two copies. Less gear in the field is key to me. I'm a little nervous but before the 5d3 I only had original and hyperdrive, so should be ok. I think two copies is enough!

May 27, 2013 at 10:50 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Backup in the field

mitesh wrote:

I did not know the 5D had that feature. Was that in the original firmware or just the latest? Does it work with files from other Canon bodies?

EBH

May 27, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Backup in the field

mitesh wrote:

+1

copy to another card in the field

May 27, 2013 at 11:52 PM
jstephens62
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Backup in the field

I think Image Copy and the Hyperdrive will be the ticket. I will experiment to see if it works with a card from my other Canon body, that would be sweet.

May 28, 2013 at 12:22 AM
jstephens62
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Backup in the field

I did test the Image Copy function tonight:

Took a shot with a 1D MIII on a CF card, took the card out, put in a 5D MIII, copied image to SD card, put SD card in a card reader and it comes up just fine.

Sweet.

May 28, 2013 at 11:21 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.