Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Any news on the new Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8?

Creative Edge
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Any news on the new Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8?

corndog wrote:
I think that people who buy this lens are likely value conscious, otherwise they'd probably just go dump a ton of money on something else. People who are value conscious tend to consider their options of what they can acquire for their money and one of the things you can get for about the same money, is a used 300/2.8 IS (which you know is going to TC better than the zoom). I realize that there are plenty of people who will appreciate the flexibility of the zoom, but there sure are quite a few working pro's who don't seem
...Show more

not necessarily, I own the 200 f2, have had the 300 vr 2.8, 500vr, 600vr and currently also own the 400vr. I recently traded my 70-200vrII for the same version Will had (The first OS version) and just as Will commented, I did it for the flexibility not to cut costs..
I love shooting with the lens, IQ is incredible and so far the AF has not let me down.
When I need longer than 300 I use my 400 2.8, for everything else the 120-300 gets the nod.
I think Sigma did a great job on this lens...

May 30, 2013 at 12:53 PM
wiseguy010
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Any news on the new Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8?

corndog wrote:
Working pro's are probably going to have two bodies and lenses just for backup sake. And if this lens is optically the same as the previous, I don't think this is a game changer, more like incremental upgrade. Why wouldn't TM's version be a game changer? What's the best part about the new lens? Probably the tuning so that you can make it focus how it should have in the first place. Micro-adjust in bodies/lenses is fantastic, because companies are fiiiiiinally fixing something that they couldn't (wouldn't?). It's something you accept with a snide "thanks" and not an overjoyed "god
...Show more

I understand that it is optically the same as the previous version.

Where I live the Nikon 300/2.8 VRII costs about 4,500 euro's and this new Sigma 3,500 euro's. Although I like the results with this Sigma, I am not sure I will ever pay such an amount for a Sigma, as prices on the secondhand market deteriorate quite fast for Sigma and hardly for the Nikon pro-lenses.

May 30, 2013 at 01:02 PM
corndog
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Any news on the new Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8?

Creative Edge wrote:
not necessarily, I own the 200 f2, have had the 300 vr 2.8, 500vr, 600vr and currently also own the 400vr. I recently traded my 70-200vrII for the same version Will had (The first OS version) and just as Will commented, I did it for the flexibility not to cut costs..
I love shooting with the lens, IQ is incredible and so far the AF has not let me down.
When I need longer than 300 I use my 400 2.8, for everything else the 120-300 gets the nod.
I think Sigma did a great job on this lens...

Moving past the 120-300 vs 300 comparison, do you (or anyone) think this lens is priced as it should be relative to the previous version?

May 30, 2013 at 01:11 PM
Creative Edge
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Any news on the new Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8?

Moving past the 120-300 vs 300 comparison, do you (or anyone) think this lens is priced as it should be relative to the previous version?

honestly I think all these super teles are overpriced, but do agree that I think it should be around 3k, just as I think Nikon's new 80-400 vr afs is way over priced for a variable aperture zoom...

May 30, 2013 at 01:30 PM
Chestnut
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Any news on the new Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8?

Creative Edge, I think the lens should be priced about the same as the previous version. I'm a little disappointed that pricing went up, but then, so has everything else in the world. and YES, I agree that everything in the super-tele realm is overpriced. I was considering replacing my old 80-400 with the new one, until I saw the price, which turned me off instantly.

Everyone else: Any news on delivery dates? last I searched, Sigma UK said early June for them... but I never heard anything about Sigma USA... I'm still waiting for mine.

Jun 03, 2013 at 12:44 PM
colincarter46
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Any news on the new Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8?

Chestnut wrote:
Creative Edge, I think the lens should be priced about the same as the previous version. I'm a little disappointed that pricing went up, but then, so has everything else in the world. and YES, I agree that everything in the super-tele realm is overpriced. I was considering replacing my old 80-400 with the new one, until I saw the price, which turned me off instantly.

Everyone else: Any news on delivery dates? last I searched, Sigma UK said early June for them... but I never heard anything about Sigma USA... I'm still waiting for mine.

the new 80-400 is not the same lens as the old one, its very fast focusing and amazingly sharp. The price is not too bad when you get past the variable aperture bit and realize the quality this lens can produce

Jun 03, 2013 at 01:49 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Any news on the new Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8?

Chestnut wrote:

Sigma said "early June"

Jun 03, 2013 at 01:50 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Any news on the new Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8?

corndog wrote:
Do the new lenses actually hit 300? I'm out of touch with the 2nd gen and not sure if they fixed this.

This is the previous version with OS. You can see how much the 'not 300mm' needs fixing.

The 120-300 is brilliant at short distances and has been good to me at longer distances too, however I decided to test it (with the Sigma x2 TC) against the Nikon 300/2.8 VRII and the Nikon TC20EIII today.

Whilst the Sigma performed well and in not the greatest light (pretty grey day here today) it doesn't even come close to the Nikon prime, and it shouldn't at a 1/3 of the price. However note the difference in image size, even at 300mm the Sigma is noticeably smaller (and therefore not 300mm) whilst at 600mm the difference is larger again (as it must be), look at the leaves above the magazine to see how much the difference is. I really think it is closer to 500mm with the TC on, than 600mm, but couldn't test it against the Sigma 500mm today as, Sod's Law, I got an EE reading with the 500mm mounted (with both cameras) so it will need the contact's cleaning professionally (my efforts were to no avail) or replacing.

Around 16m (50ft)
1/250, 400 ISO, f5.6 (almost the only way I shoot 600mm), OS/VR off, tripod mounted, best of 2 shots, Mirror lockup (5 secs), full sized jpgs are downloadable (about 17MB each) below - check the difference at 100% and note that the pricing on the bottom of the magazine is ca. 1.5 mm (0.06"). The Nikon result is sensational - it's like reading a magazine in front of your face (with or without the TC) !

I'll add 100% crops later if requested.

Sigma 120-300 @ 300mm

Nikon 300/2.8

Sigma 120-300 @ 600mm

Nikon 300/2.8 @ 600mm

You can find the originals here : [url]http://frogfish.smugmug.com/Other/Test-Shots/16036131_wgxs8r#!i=2554199237&k=vpVR8d3[/url]

Jun 04, 2013 at 05:26 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Any news on the new Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8?

wiseguy010 wrote:
Where I live the Nikon 300/2.8 VRII costs about 4,500 euro's and this new Sigma 3,500 euro's.

I buy all my gear from germany and my dealer sells the nikkor for 5145€ while the sigma goes for 2998€.
And the pricing on the sigma will go down.
Considerably.
It always does.
The nikkor's price will likely remain the same, give or take a few euros.

Edited on Jun 04, 2013 at 08:18 AM · View previous versions

Jun 04, 2013 at 07:15 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Any news on the new Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8?

Looks like Amazon has one available via third party. They must be trickling in now.

Jun 04, 2013 at 07:24 AM
Photonic
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Any news on the new Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8?

Based on a conversation with Sigma factory folks at a recent trade show, I can confirm the following. The new "S" version of the 120-300 is optically identical to the prior version. This means that the lens tops out at 280mm for normal shooting distances. What has changed is the exterior industrial design (very clean lines, wider focus and zoom grips, and claimed to be dust and splash proof), the USB interface (supporting internal fine tuning of AF, AF speed, focus limiter and stabilization options, and software updates), addition of a configurable switch and one new IS mode. Not mentioned in their literature but worth noting is an improved tripod collar mount which seemed to me much smoother than the current one.

I have been shooting the current version since it was first available and have been very pleased with the results (mostly soccer on a crop body). I find the tripod collar marginally acceptable. Image quality, even wide open has been very impressive. Things I like about the new version: Looks, new tripod collar, "splash-proofness". I find all the USB features (with software upgrades the only possible exception) to be of little to no interest. Can't imagine why you would tune AF on your lens if you own more than one body. It is painful enough to do in camera MFA with the lens attached. Can't imagine how tedious this would be if I had to remove the lens to dock for each adjustment. I have neither the time nor inclination to fine tune other internal lens attributes. If they are important then they should be on a knob or switch I can use in the field. Imagine setting a focus limit at home just to discover that you need a different one in the field.

Not trying to bash Sigma here. They are increasingly offering the kind of glass I am interested in and I already own many of their products (35, 50, 85, 120-300, 300-800). I just hope they do not lose sight of the value component of their franchise. I think they would have been much better served with this lens "upgrade" by leaving off the USB interface. Their challenge was how to add the "S" moniker to an already very excellent optic and not have people complain that nothing changed. Had they just done the updated exterior and improved sealing and kept the price very close to the original I think they would have had a home run. Still, a triple is not bad.

Jun 04, 2013 at 11:31 AM
dreamplayer
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Any news on the new Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8?

Thank you Kevin.

If those photos are unsharpened. Nikon 300 f2.8 ii is awesome. The 120-300 f2.8 is quite impressive with this price tag.

Jun 04, 2013 at 10:30 PM
rd4tile
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Any news on the new Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8?

Good looking lens!

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1217816

Jun 05, 2013 at 08:50 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Any news on the new Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8?

dreamplayer wrote:
Thank you Kevin.

If those photos are unsharpened. Nikon 300 f2.8 ii is awesome. The 120-300 f2.8 is quite impressive with this price tag.

Absolutely SOOC - not touched at all in any way. The 120-300 is certainly no slouch and excellent value for money but the Nikon 300/2.8 is the absolute Bees Knees

Jun 05, 2013 at 12:58 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.