Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · 3 hour consultation

scottam10
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 3 hour consultation

Mitch W wrote:
I average 60 to 90 minute consults. There are exceptions though. I just shot a wedding where each client is finishing up their doctorate - the bride here in LA and the groom across the country. So the first consult was 90 minutes with the bride. Then a few months later another 90 minutes with the bride and groom when he was in town finalizing wedding plans. And voila - a 3 hour consult. I'm happy to do this. But what I won't do is travel 3 hours to a consult. I'll meet a client half way if absolutely
...Show more

Agree 100%. If you travel 3h you're significantly out of pocket for gas (or train ticket etc) as well as your travel time.
- something offered for free (you travelling 3h to them) will not be seen as valuable by the client, and won't make them any less likely to shop around and choose another photographer.

May 28, 2013 at 07:29 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 3 hour consultation

I feel like letting the consult drag on to 3hrs at the whim of the client communicates you don't value your own time and arenít busy.

May 28, 2013 at 11:43 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 3 hour consultation

My experience is that the longer you spend with a couple, the more likely they are to book. I can't imagine them hanging around for three hours if they weren't very serious about signing you.

May 28, 2013 at 01:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Brian Virts
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 3 hour consultation

45 mins is plenty of time. I'm not one for making friends right off the bat. It's kind of like dating. You don't want to spend too much time, just enough to meet and see the work, understand your personality. Your images should sell themselves, either they can afford you and want to be in them or they don't.

May 28, 2013 at 02:28 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 3 hour consultation

This is one of those things where there is no right or wrong answer.....there's only a right or wrong answer FOR YOU. If 30 minutes works for you, great. If 3 hours works for you, that's great too. The key thing is in finding what works for you and what doesn't.

I'll even take it a step further and say that learning to read facial expressions/body language/mannerisms will pay off big time. I feel like if I spend 5 minutes with a couple I can tell right away if the meeting is going to be a long one or a quickie. Some people just want to meet quickly, just to confirm you're the person they want to book. That could take 15-20 minutes. Some people are really social and really like to talk. For them it could take an hour or more. The quicker you are at figuring out what type of couple you're meeting with, the easier it is to tailor your meeting to their personality types. Spending too much time with a couple that doesn't want it or not enough time with a couple that does can work against you.

For me personally, I know if someone sits and talks with me for more than 45 minutes, there's a very high probability of me booking them. That being said, if I pick up cues that tell me the couple doesn't want to sit there for an hour, I'll shift gears and get it to the point a lot quicker than I normally would.

May 28, 2013 at 04:17 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 3 hour consultation

maxwell1295 wrote:
This is one of those things where there is no right or wrong answer.....there's only a right or wrong answer FOR YOU. If 30 minutes works for you, great. If 3 hours works for you, that's great too. The key thing is in finding what works for you and what doesn't.

I'll even take it a step further and say that learning to read facial expressions/body language/mannerisms will pay off big time. I feel like if I spend 5 minutes with a couple I can tell right away if the meeting is going to be a long one or a
...Show more

agree

May 28, 2013 at 06:11 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password