New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Adding a quick column to a TC23

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Adding a quick column to a TC23

Just got my TC23 and find it is too short. Its acceptable on flat ground but when on a slope its not high enough. I calculated that I might need a column when I purchased it.

So when I look at the column at RRS, it says not platform or hook included. I assume the hook I have will transfer, but what about the platform? It seems that the platform ought to be listed as a requirement for the column with a part number.

How do you like the column? I understand the arguments for going without a column, but all I am shooting is landscapes with lenses up to 200mm max.

May 26, 2013 at 03:42 PM
craig_k
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Adding a quick column to a TC23

tvc-23 (3section)catalog says its max height is 52.4...add a quick column and its 12" add-on or up to 64.4
tvc23 is 830 +88 for qc=918
what is your height appx?
the tvc-24 L (4section) is max 66.75...list for 935
what made you go with the tvc 23 to start with over the 24 model...3 sections for stability? just curious, as one who is looking at this setup with same consideration as you just experienced i've wondered if the 4 section model is what one should go with over the tvc 23 with qc.........i cannot help think the majority of % of buyers are faced with this equation.....its delayed my action now for weeks.....its less than $20 difference for the 3section tvc 23 w\qc initialy but what will quality controll if the qc is extended stability-wise vs. effect the 4 section leg stability vs 3 section .........the extended max heights for any model are prominently displayed so what was the surprise that the tvc ended up being too short?.......i dont believe anyone wants to really buy a great deal more height than they think will ever be necessary for their historical usage due to stability issues....just curious why you ended up with that tvc 23 w\o the qc when initially you said you questioned yourself if that would be enough height? ....we all want to get it right to start with...thanks for any candid input forthcoming as it'll be excellant knowledge base for all of us who are wrestling with this senerio presently

May 26, 2013 at 05:55 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Adding a quick column to a TC23

the platform also transfers and a new platform is included with a big hole in the middle and locking mechanism with the CP. takes about 5 minutes to convert over the first time

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=TA-2-QC&type=0

May 26, 2013 at 06:19 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Adding a quick column to a TC23

Even at 200mm I'd rather have a taller tripod and not raise the center column.

EBH

May 26, 2013 at 06:46 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Adding a quick column to a TC23

craig_k wrote:
tvc-23 (3section)catalog says its max height is 52.4...add a quick column and its 12" add-on or up to 64.4
tvc23 is 830 +88 for qc=918
what is your height appx?
the tvc-24 L (4section) is max 66.75...list for 935
what made you go with the tvc 23 to start with over the 24 model...3 sections for stability? just curious, as one who is looking at this setup with same consideration as you just experienced i've wondered if the 4 section model is what one should go with over the tvc 23 with qc.........i cannot help think the majority of % of buyers are
...Show more

4 sections are too many legs to deal with. I set my old tripod at 52 and decided it makes me lean over a bit but was acceptable. My old Gitzo fully extended is too high. This tripod will be fine with a center column. Just need to figure out what parts to buy.

It is a great tripod and seems very stable, especially when I hang the bag from it. My old tripod was aluminum and was great for when I had a 500mm lens and gimbal. But I no longer have that.

Edited on May 26, 2013 at 07:34 PM · View previous versions

May 26, 2013 at 07:30 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Adding a quick column to a TC23

sjms wrote:
the platform also transfers and a new platform is included with a big hole in the middle and locking mechanism with the CP. takes about 5 minutes to convert over the first time

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=TA-2-QC&type=0

Thanks, I could not find this page. I cane into the product a different way and it did not have this description.

May 26, 2013 at 07:31 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Adding a quick column to a TC23

EB-1 wrote:
Even at 200mm I'd rather have a taller tripod and not raise the center column.

EBH

Well I have a taller tripod and I carry it in my vehicle. But I wanted a lighter tripod so I bought the TC23. The 200 is not even in my main camera bag. Most of my work is 14 to 35 mm.

May 26, 2013 at 07:33 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Adding a quick column to a TC23

One of my tripods puts the camera over my head if I fully extend the legs. Simple solution is to simply not extend the lowest legs fully.

May 27, 2013 at 11:54 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Adding a quick column to a TC23

Well the column is on order. Once you agonize over the decision and buy it your sort of stuck with that decision. Like bags, always something you wish were different.

My old Gitzo with an Acraswiss head has served me for 8 years. It was heavy, sticky and sturdy. Freeze your hands in winter but it was functionally great. If I still had my 500f4 I would have gotten a larger series RRS tripod.

The new tripod is only a 2-3 pounds lighter but it seems much more. The leg locks are much easier to turn, the Gitzo wings sometimes needed to be hammered with my fist to loosen. The ball head does not freeze like the old Acraswiss. And this rig hangs on a strap around my neck for carrying much easier than the old tripod.

I wish the hook was bigger and lower so I could attach my bag directly. I added a carabiner but it fell off yesterday and got lost. Guess I need to permanently attach it to the bag rather than the tripod. Harder to get the bag attached when I start with the carabiner on the bag.

My old head let me drop the camera into the slot from the top by angling one side in first. This head must be opened really far to do it that way so I am learning to slide it in from the end. I don't like lever types so I got the standard.

May 28, 2013 at 09:55 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Adding a quick column to a TC23

falling out is dependent on the carabiner you use

May 28, 2013 at 04:12 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Adding a quick column to a TC23

sjms wrote:
falling out is dependent on the carabiner you use

Mine had a latch but of course a hook has no latch. My bag has a strap handle closed at both ends. So the carabiner will not slip off the bag. Anything I put on the hook can come off the hook because its a hook with no way to close the opening.

If the hook were more open I could just slip the bag handle over it. Maybe I will be able to do this with a center column which will place the hook further down.

May 28, 2013 at 04:33 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Adding a quick column to a TC23

It's dependent on the diameter of the carabiner and gate on it a have a few variations that won't fall out. I'll check later which ones and give you names and models and they are light.

May 28, 2013 at 06:31 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Adding a quick column to a TC23

Thanks, I used a 1/4 inch s shaped one that was flat rather than round. It was neat but in spite of being a tight fit was able to slip out. A loose carabiner on the tripod rattles too much anyway so putting it on the bag is probably a better solution.

The sling bag hangs just perfect for getting the camera and lens out while hanging on the hook.

May 28, 2013 at 06:40 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Adding a quick column to a TC23

these are ones I have used. don't let the size fool you they can support many a vehicle. yes I do remove them from my hook when not in use. I also use webbing at times too. neither one will slip out until you get to the wire gate. and are feather light.

orange-
http://www.amazon.com/Petzl-ANGE-S-carabiner-Orange/dp/B004G5RMJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369827325&sr=8-1&keywords=petzl+ange+s
green-
http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Biner-Carabiner-Metolius-Size/dp/B0026LUVTQ/ref=pd_sim_sg_2

© sjms 2013

May 29, 2013 at 06:36 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Adding a quick column to a TC23

Thanks, I see they are larger than the hook opening, mine was not. I think my bag would simply attach directly to the hook with the column down as shown here. When there is no column and the hook is up in the cavity of the legs its hard to hang it.

May 29, 2013 at 08:52 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Adding a quick column to a TC23

Just a quick note. The column arrived and I can now hang the bag directly on the hook. The height is perfect now.

Jun 01, 2013 at 08:40 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Adding a quick column to a TC23

Enjoy

Jun 01, 2013 at 09:16 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.