New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · The CF card shows empty on my computer. . . Need some help

jamato8
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The CF card shows empty on my computer. . . Need some help

and I don't know why. I have used the firewire connection for a few years. This computer has always worked fine with it. The firewire shows up as does the CF card but it shows it as empty. The images show up on my camera. I haven't had this happen before. Any ideas?

I am using a MacBook Pro and I can use either Snow Leopard or Mountain Lion.

May 26, 2013 at 02:14 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The CF card shows empty on my computer. . . Need some help

Power-down reboot the computer and the camera, and then try again. If that doesn't work, see if you can scare up a car reader.

May 26, 2013 at 02:17 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The CF card shows empty on my computer. . . Need some help

jcolwell wrote:
Power-down reboot the computer and the camera, and then try again. If that doesn't work, see if you can scare up a car reader.

I don't plug the camera into the computer, I use my firewire card reader. It shows up and shows the files but no images show up and it shows the CF card with most of the gb intact, not used.

May 26, 2013 at 02:20 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The CF card shows empty on my computer. . . Need some help

I've had several unreadable disks and rebooting and repairing your OS disk disk & permissions in Disk Utility fixed it. If that's not it, try a USB card reader or direct to your camera. If that doesn't do it, the dreaded CF card recovery app is next...

May 26, 2013 at 02:25 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The CF card shows empty on my computer. . . Need some help

Sorry, you can or I can laugh about this.

I have the 5DIII. Two cards. . . . Yes, I always use the CF card but the camera put the images on the SD card I had installed. I don't mind the SD card in my M9, as I have no choice, but I prefer the CF card so. . I wish there was a way to make sure that the CF card is always chosen when it is put in the camera rather than having to do it each time you take the CF card out.

May 26, 2013 at 02:28 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The CF card shows empty on my computer. . . Need some help

jamato8 wrote:
I don't plug the camera into the computer, I use my firewire card reader. It shows up and shows the files but no images show up and it shows the CF card with most of the gb intact, not used.

OK, gotcha.

jamato8 wrote:
Sorry, you can or I can laugh about this.

I have the 5DIII. Two cards. . . . Yes, I always use the CF card but the camera put the images on the SD card I had installed. I don't mind the SD card in my M9, as I have no choice, but I prefer the CF card so. . I wish there was a way to make sure that the CF card is always chosen when it is put in the camera rather than having to do it each time you take the CF card out.

Been there, with most of my 1D-series cameras. The quickest way to ensure that it's using the card that you want it to (aside from checking the LCD and using some button pushes) is to have only the desired primary card in the camera when you turn it on. You can add the SD card later, and it won't switch to it.

May 26, 2013 at 02:39 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The CF card shows empty on my computer. . . Need some help

jcolwell wrote:
OK, gotcha.

Been there, with most of my 1D-series cameras. The quickest way to ensure that it's using the card that you want it to (aside from checking the LCD and using some button pushes) is to have only the desired primary card in the camera when you turn it on. You can add the SD card later, and it won't switch to it.

Yes, I just didn't want to go through with the motions of placing a card in, etc. etc.

May 26, 2013 at 03:00 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The CF card shows empty on my computer. . . Need some help

Have you considered getting an apprentice or maybe a house elf to help you with this stuff?

Dobby?

May 26, 2013 at 03:27 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The CF card shows empty on my computer. . . Need some help

jcolwell wrote:
Have you considered getting an apprentice or maybe a house elf to help you with this stuff?

Dobby?

I thought about it but that takes energy also, and then I also have to remember what it will need to do and then. . . I may as well do it myself.

May 26, 2013 at 03:36 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The CF card shows empty on my computer. . . Need some help

jamato8 wrote:
and I don't know why. I have used the firewire connection for a few years. This computer has always worked fine with it. The firewire shows up as does the CF card but it shows it as empty. The images show up on my camera. I haven't had this happen before. Any ideas?

I am using a MacBook Pro and I can use either Snow Leopard or Mountain Lion.

What camera is this from. Is it one with dual cards? Are you sure the images aren't on the other card if so?

May 26, 2013 at 05:16 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The CF card shows empty on my computer. . . Need some help

Pixel Perfect wrote:
What camera is this from. Is it one with dual cards? Are you sure the images aren't on the other card if so?

Yes, it was on the other card. Not used to two cards yet. :^) I noted this above. Thanks for the reply because if I hadn't figured it out, your post would have gotten me there.

May 26, 2013 at 05:33 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The CF card shows empty on my computer. . . Need some help

jamato8 wrote:
Yes, it was on the other card. Not used to two cards yet. :^) I noted this above. Thanks for the reply because if I hadn't figured it out, your post would have gotten me there.

Sorry I didn't read all the replies. But it happened to me on my 5D III, which has the horrible habit of switching cards after one is removed for downloading. I hadn't realised this and when I put the CF card back, it was then writing to the SD card (please fix this Canon). Came to download images thinking they were on my CF card and nothing shows up on card reader. Put card back and there they are when I press playback. Try it again still no images. Thought the CF card was faulty.

May 26, 2013 at 06:59 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The CF card shows empty on my computer. . . Need some help

Been there, done that. The 5D III's SDxC slot is so slow I don't bother to use it.

EBH

May 26, 2013 at 07:11 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The CF card shows empty on my computer. . . Need some help

EB-1 wrote:
Been there, done that. The 5D III's SDxC slot is so slow I don't bother to use it.

EBH

I just have it set for overflow or occasionally when I want to record a jpg as well as RAW and I'm doing one shot. Otherwise crippled by Canon for not supporting U-HSI

May 27, 2013 at 12:08 AM
jamato8
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The CF card shows empty on my computer. . . Need some help

I wish that had just put in two CF slots or a way to keep it on one card or the other even if you take one of them out unless you change the option.

May 27, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The CF card shows empty on my computer. . . Need some help

jamato8 wrote:
I wish that had just put in two CF slots or a way to keep it on one card or the other even if you take one of them out unless you change the option.

Size was too small for two CF cards I think, but not issuing a FW update to stop this stupid behaviour of swapping default card when one is taken out to download images is lazy by Canon.

May 27, 2013 at 12:30 AM
jamato8
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The CF card shows empty on my computer. . . Need some help

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Size was too small for two CF cards I think, but not issuing a FW update to stop this stupid behaviour of swapping default card when one is taken out to download images is lazy by Canon.

Yea, I figured there wasn't enough room and I do enjoy the III but I agree, then need to correct this with a FW update.

May 27, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The CF card shows empty on my computer. . . Need some help

jcolwell wrote:

Dobby?

Did someone call ?

May 27, 2013 at 01:19 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The CF card shows empty on my computer. . . Need some help

Yep, if you take one card out the 5D3 automatically switches to the other one - this makes sense

Only thing is, it doesn't switch back when you put the original card back

I wonder how other cameras handle this - would you expect it to 'remember' to use the CF card by default?

I guess the other question is - why have an SD card in the camera if you don't want to use it? (or do you normally write to both cards?)

May 27, 2013 at 01:53 AM
jamato8
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The CF card shows empty on my computer. . . Need some help

scottam10 wrote:
I guess the other question is - why have an SD card in the camera if you don't want to use it? (or do you normally write to both cards?)

In my case, I have a 32gb I haven't been using as I prefer the 16gb in my M9. So, why not use it, with plenty of back-up storage. I just didn't realize it would switch like it does and stay on the card it switches to.

May 27, 2013 at 01:57 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.