Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Landscape/Wildlifers-Canon 400mm 2.8...

Dennis M 1064
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Landscape/Wildlifers-Canon 400mm 2.8...

I really wanted to post this on the Landscape Wildlife forum, since it is specific to them, but wasn't sure if a gear question would have been appropriate there, though it is about their gear and environment. . .so, hopefully they come here and poke around.

I'll try to be brief.

Shooting in Wyoming next month. Mostly Teton, and the surrounding area for about 10 days. I'll be shooting Landscape with Jay Goodrich in a workshop, and then, my good friends are going to try to hook me up with a local iconic Wildlife Photographer. Maybe there will be some Grizzly Bears in my future, since that is what he is focused on at the moment.

So, I am going to rent the Canon 400mm 2.8 IS II. My backpack holds my 5d3, 24mm TSe, 16-35 and a 70-200 f4. Other than that, I just have a few smaller pockets for meter, pan gear, filters etc, so the bag is full.

What is a good way to lug the beast around? It will,of course, come with a hard case, but, that would be a bit of a PIA. Is there an affordable padded shoulder bag or something you would recommend for the 400? I'm guessing that, when I am shooting wildlife, my short glass may just stay in the bag, and I can switch out if necessary. The 400 can and should live on the body. But, during the more 'landscape oriented part, I don't want to not have the 400 available for some lucky finding. And I don't want to be switching lenses continuously, just so I have a means of carrying the lens around, that is, on a body and on the sticks. (if that makes sense)

Suggestions?

May 26, 2013 at 07:31 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Landscape/Wildlifers-Canon 400mm 2.8...

First off, congrats on the trip and have fun!

I have my 300 2.8 in a lowepro flipside 300, which allows me to pack it with my 7D mounted (just barely). I bought the bag used for about $50 IIRC. basically the thinktank glass taxi concept on a budget.

For football, I mount it to a monopod and use a blackrapid style sling for a short lens body. At the racetrack, I have been using the sling strap on the 300, but no second body.

You don't mention a tripod, but certainly you are packing one??

I am thinking for the wildlife venture, carry the 400 mounted on a pod, and keep your pack with your landscape lenses on your back. Unless you are packing far...

My two cents!

Paul

May 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Landscape/Wildlifers-Canon 400mm 2.8...

I use a Kinesis L511 lens case for my 500/4L IS. Sometimes, I use it with the original shoulder strap that comes with it. Other times, I attach a set of backpack replacement straps from MEC (Canadian version of REI) and use it like a backpack.

May 26, 2013 at 02:45 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Landscape/Wildlifers-Canon 400mm 2.8...

I use the Kinesis L511 as well with the 1dx attached to the lens with the 1.4x III. The other bag i use is the lowepro 600 AWII.

i have bunch of lens bags that i attach to the Kinesis or the 600aw II and carry everything together.

May 26, 2013 at 02:49 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Landscape/Wildlifers-Canon 400mm 2.8...

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to look all this up and give it some serious thought.

Tripod? What's that?

, just kidding. RSS Versa24L with a BH55 head.

My mono pod. . .not thinking it can handle the rig. I bought it as a cheap set-up since I needed something on short notice to shoot some B-Roll for a video gig and a 200mm IS lens as the max. focal length. It is the carry Speed Mo-Go (?) and a $250 ball head. Not thinking it will handle the 400 to well.

May 26, 2013 at 07:40 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Landscape/Wildlifers-Canon 400mm 2.8...

The Feisol CM-1471 Rapid monopod with RRS MH-01 head is nice.

May 27, 2013 at 08:54 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.