New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Cable Release for X-Pro1

Mark Sisco
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cable Release for X-Pro1

Anyone found one they really like? I bought one today, but I'm not happy with it because the threads barely grab. Plus, it auto-locks when you plunge it instead of at my choosing

Appreciate any advice/recommendations!

May 25, 2013 at 08:12 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cable Release for X-Pro1

Why not get one of the remote releases instead of old-school cable? I think you can get wireless ones for $40 on ebay, some of which include programmable modes of some interest. And wired ones for cheaper.

May 26, 2013 at 05:55 AM
Dave McGaughey
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cable Release for X-Pro1

justruss wrote:
Why not get one of the remote releases instead of old-school cable? I think you can get wireless ones for $40 on ebay, some of which include programmable modes of some interest. And wired ones for cheaper.

Not an option for the X Pro1. The physical act of pushing the shutter is the only way to trigger a shot.

May 26, 2013 at 07:11 AM
Mark Sisco
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cable Release for X-Pro1

Dave McGaughey wrote:
Not an option for the X Pro1. The physical act of pushing the shutter is the only way to trigger a shot.

This is what I understand as well, based on everything I've read.

May 26, 2013 at 07:29 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cable Release for X-Pro1

I kept a couple of release cables from my medium and large format film days. They work just fine. You might pick up something decent if you look for used release cables. Here's some current eBay items that might be of interest...

May 26, 2013 at 07:50 AM
Mark Sisco
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cable Release for X-Pro1

jcolwell wrote:
I kept a couple of release cables from my medium and large format film days. They work just fine. You might pick up something decent if you look for used release cables. Here's some current eBay items that might be of interest...

Thanks, really appreciate it!

I would value feedback on any particular brand you (or anyone else) has found to be of good quality and works well with the Fuji. As noted, the first one I bought does not work well. The threads do not lock securely. I'm not sure if it's just a crappy cable release, or if they come in varying sizes. This one looks like it has the universal cone-shaped thread design so that it can fit most any camera, but for some reason it does not thread well into the shutter button. The last thing I want is to screw up (no pun intended) my camera body!

May 26, 2013 at 08:06 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cable Release for X-Pro1

It's probably just crappy or worn. The one in the first attached image is labelled "Minolta", "Japan", and the second is stamped "R & H", "Japan". I have a couple more made by other brands that also work well on the X-Pro 1

You probably won't go too far wrong if you can find one with the same brand as a film camera maker (e.g. Pentax, Olympus, etc.), but you'll pay a real premium for some of them (e.g. Linhof, Leica, etc.).

May 26, 2013 at 08:30 AM
Mark Sisco
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cable Release for X-Pro1

jcolwell wrote:
It's probably just crappy or worn. The one in the first attached image is labelled "Minolta", "Japan", and the second is stamped "R & H", "Japan". I have a couple more made by other brands that also work well on the X-Pro 1

You probably won't go too far wrong if you can find one with the same brand as a film camera maker (e.g. Pentax, Olympus, etc.), but you'll pay a real premium for some of them (e.g. Linhof, Leica, etc.).

Fantastic. Thanks!!! I've read that the Nikon AR-3 is a good one and tried-n-true over the years. Do each of these that you posted lock/unlock "on demand", as opposed to no lock or locking at every release?

I've been a traditional Canon shooter for years, but I am really starting to enjoy and love the X-Pro1. It's taken some time for me to get accustomed to it .... ergonomics, nuances of focus, raw processing, etc. .... but I think I'm finally starting to get comfortable.

May 26, 2013 at 08:42 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cable Release for X-Pro1

jcolwell wrote:

Mark Sisco wrote:
Fantastic. Thanks!!! I've read that the Nikon AR-3 is a good one and tried-n-true over the years. Do each of these that you posted lock/unlock "on demand", as opposed to no lock or locking at every release?

You're welcome. Yes. The Minolta has a little collar with a serrated edge that rotates to have it lock or not. The generic one has a thumbscrew to hold the plunger in.

May 26, 2013 at 08:47 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.