Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Alternative to Quantum Flashes

hkula

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Alternative to Quantum Flashes

I am interested in getting more powerful flashes for my Nikon system for on location portrait photography.
Does anyone know if there are any such flashes that in addition to manual mode ... support the Nikon TTL system. Power range of 150 w/s or more.

May 25, 2013 at 10:20 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Alternative to Quantum Flashes

All things considered if the goal is location portraits I think regular studio monolights powered by battery/inverters are the best choice nowadays. Reasonably priced monolights and battery/inverters changed the paradigm for location lighting and are less expensive than Quantum or Speedlite solutions.

The logistics of hauling and setting up the stands, soft boxes, etc. are the same (give or take a few pounds of gear) and with the monolights you have a wider range of modifier choices, modeling lights and the option to use wall power if available.

TTL flash exposure control is not a good choice for portrait because just things like the subject turning can change exposure requiring compensation. The exposure and tone of the background will vary shot-to-shot. Even more problematical is when shooting different subject one after another. The differences in clothing can cause large swings in exposure.

It's better to use manual power settings for portraits. Once set exposure stays consistent. It's not difficult with digital, even without a meter. Turn on the fill first. Raise power until detail is seen in a black suit or test target. Turn on key light. Raise it until a white shirt or target clips in playback then reduce the power by about 1/3 stop. The lighting will match full scene range black <> white to sensor range. Any clothing or complexion face will be recorded as typically seen by eye: detail everywhere you'd expect to see it.

May 26, 2013 at 01:01 AM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #3 · Alternative to Quantum Flashes

hkula wrote:
I am interested in getting more powerful flashes for my Nikon system for on location portrait photography.
Does anyone know if there are any such flashes that in addition to manual mode ... support the Nikon TTL system. Power range of 150 w/s or more.

There are none, apart from Quantum. The versatility of their range of modes is what makes them unique and matches what you require.

May 26, 2013 at 11:05 AM
khwaja
• • •
p.1 #4 · Alternative to Quantum Flashes

There's the new Cheetah 180 or something. it has its own proprietary powerpack though and if i remember correctly TTL too

Jun 06, 2013 at 03:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

MNPNW
• •
p.1 #5 · Alternative to Quantum Flashes

khwaja wrote:
There's the new Cheetah 180 or something. it has its own proprietary powerpack though and if i remember correctly TTL too

No TTL.

Several photographers on DWF are using it and so far, no issues. Works as expected.

http://www.cheetahstand.com/product-p/cl-combo.htm

I have no financial interest...

Jun 06, 2013 at 12:11 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #6 · Alternative to Quantum Flashes

The Cheetah CL-180 works very well. It yields slightly more than 150WS, and they will most likely be introducing a CL-360 later this month with twice the power. Cheetah does NOT support TTL, but their remote transmitter makes it dead easy to make power adjustments in 1/3 stop increments.

Jun 06, 2013 at 12:29 PM
MNPNW
• •
p.1 #7 · Alternative to Quantum Flashes

BigIronCruiser wrote:
The Cheetah CL-180 works very well. It yields slightly more than 150WS, and they will most likely be introducing a CL-360 later this month with twice the power. Cheetah does NOT support TTL, but their remote transmitter makes it dead easy to make power adjustments in 1/3 stop increments.

Good to hear more positive feedback as I am looking at getting the 360 when available. Did you notice they are making a 5m extension cord to allow lower battery mounting? Actually a 3m cord might be even better.

I use the Canon 600 stuff and Einstein / VML when more power needed. The Cheetah may reduce the need for the Einstein / VML on some locations. I'm in the Pacific Northwest so sun is not as hard to overpower as many places.

Will see, the 600's are quite versatile, just modest power and overheat easily and a lot of $ per WS. Still their price has dropped significantly since introduction.

Jun 06, 2013 at 02:30 PM
dmward
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Alternative to Quantum Flashes

The Cheetah Lights have an H mode that is similar to HSS. With the proper trigger to make the camera shift to FP-sync (HSS) the CL-180 can be fired in H mode up to the max shutter speed. H mode rapid cycling costs about a stop of light at 1/1 power. It can be controlled down to 1/8th power.

The Cells II trigger has the pins necessary to get a Canon Pre-2012 camera into FP-Sync. There will be an updated Cells-IIc available around the end of July that supports Canon 2012 cameras. The CL-360 will also be available about then.

The Yongnou YN-622 will also fire the lights in H mode. One on the camera another on the flash plugged into mini-jack or PC socket. Using the YN-622 permits using a Canon flash on camera in ETTL.

(I have been testing the Cells IIc for Cheetah, but no financial interest in the company.)

Jun 26, 2013 at 09:45 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password