Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Anyone Like Old Luma Loop Better than Cinch?

davidahn

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone Like Old Luma Loop Better than Cinch?

I just got my Cinch 2 yesterday and I have to say I'm not as thrilled as I thought I was going to be. I do love a lot of things about the Cinch: quality of materials and build, comfort, stability. The cinch action really does work well to lengthen and shorten the strap, and the stability of the camera from dual mount points is awesome. I also LOVE that it's made in the USA.

While the promo video shows guys effortlessly using their Cinch 2s to carry their SLRs, adjust strap length, and shoot, my experience was decidedly different. I find myself seriously considering going back to my Luma Loop. Here are the main problems I'm finding. I found it difficult to bring my D800E up to shooting position. The most stable mount points (IMO) are the camera's left strap eyelet (facing the back of camera) and the left loop in the Cinch 2's tripod plate. I love how it hangs, but when I grab the camera to shoot, two unpleasant things happen: the whole strap has to move a good 12-18 inches toward my back, and the grippy shoulder pad fights it and pulls on my shirt; and the two strap ends attached to the camera and plate criss-cross behind the camera. Using the two loops in the tripod plate alleviates problem #2. I watched the promo video again and I noticed that the guys throw the strap over their shoulder while bringing their camera up, a two handed motion that wasn't necessary with the Luma Loop, as only the sliding portion of the strap had to move,

Cinch 2 Advantages:
Better feel and grippiness
No metal screw (rivet?) that bruises my pecs like the Luma Loop
Better camera control (less flopping around)
Dual mount points are more stable
Great tripod mount plate
Easy shortening and lengthening of strap

Luma Loop Advantages:
Sliding part of strap is awesome and avoids moving the shoulder pad, which is grippy to avoid movement!
Quick release... 'Nuff said.

I'd love a hybrid strap system that merges the best of both worlds:
- Dual mount points
- Soft, grippy, large pad
- Sliding camera strap
- Quick release connector

At the very least, I think the lengthening should happen on the back side of the strap, not the front, allowing the camera room to move up to the eye without the shoulder pad having to move.

Any of the many happy Cinch users, I welcome any pointers or thoughts on modifying the Cinch 2 to incorporate a sliding component with quick release. If the folks from Luma Labs has any helpful hints for me, I welcome that also. Thank you all in advance.

May 25, 2013 at 02:19 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone Like Old Luma Loop Better than Cinch?

actually my original loop cinch rotated when I wanted it to which was all the time when loose. that what I liked. when tightened it was high and snug so then there was little to no movement.
also those nicely machine parts tended towards contact with other metal parts which if not careful caused unhappiness to some.
what I don't like about the new one is that is grip surface is a bit more aggressive then the original which was more the adequate. on certain materials (like pile jackets) it tends to be a bit too clingy for easy rotation. but I expect that to subside with use somewhat

their idea of a QR is sort of a joke. but that was easily remedied with a Custom SLR C loop for mostly universal attachment to cameras with and w/o AS plates except currently one the RRS 1DX L plate.

still to me the cinch 1/2 are the best out there in overall usage. the original loop was not too impressive vs the rest of the market at the time

May 25, 2013 at 08:56 AM
davidahn

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone Like Old Luma Loop Better than Cinch?

Thanks for your thoughts, SJMS. I'll have to try the Cinch 2 out a while before making a final decision on whether to go back to the original Luma Loop or try modifying it to work like the Luma Loop. While the Luma Loop didn't work for you, and it isn't perfect for me either (which is why I ordered the Cinch), the basic functionality was awesome. The Cinch does have a lot of improvements over the Luma Loop, but it's missing my favorite things about the Luma Loop: the stationary main strap with sliding camera attachment and the quick release.

I looked at the Custom SLR C loop, and while its swivel action does solve the tangling/crossing of the strap, it adds another doohickey in addition to the tripod mount plate, and doesn't solve my main issues: the friction from shoulder strap rotation and the lack of a quick release clip.

May 26, 2013 at 01:54 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone Like Old Luma Loop Better than Cinch?

as to the QR, I consider 5-6 turns close enough and it works on just about anything with a 1/4-20 thread.
the C Loop has 5 major components that work for me:
1- simplicity
2- versatility
3- strength
4- universality
5- security

it simply works everywhere I need it to.

the concept of QR is there it just isn't as fast as the fastest. it is also about the most secure too.

May 26, 2013 at 05:55 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone Like Old Luma Loop Better than Cinch?

Give your Cinch a few days as you get used to the strap rotation. Off and on for the first couple days, I was finding that the strap was grabbing my shirt as I brought the camera up. I adjusted my motion of bringing the camera up to my eye, mostly unconsciously, and now I unweight the strap during the motion. That is, instead of pivoting the whole setup around my shoulder/back with the strap in tension, I bring the camera almost straight up, taking the weight off the strap while its moving. That eliminates most of the grabbing.

I've also gone to a single mount point - instead of the C Loop, I'm using the new Really Right Stuff arca clamp with the strap posts. That, too, introduces a "doohicky" into the setup, which I'm usually not for, but I really like the flexibility it gives me to swap carrying points, as well as having a quick tripod mount point.

May 26, 2013 at 08:15 AM
davidahn

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone Like Old Luma Loop Better than Cinch?

@binary, I didn't mean I'm opposed to doohickeys period, I just don't want a C-loop plus a tripod plate, whether that means stacking the plate and the C-loop, or worse, needing to remove the C-loop to install the tripod plate. That's why I love a tripod plate with eyelets for mounting to strap systems. I really do like the plate from Luma Labs, I just think it needs carabiners rather than the stock nylon straps.

I tried using the Cinch 2 this afternoon. When I'm not shooting, I prefer to keep the camera behind me and out of the way so I don't bang into things. Due to the friction I noted on initial Cinch testing, I unloaded the camera weight with my right hand and lifted the shoulder pad and strap with my left hand while pulling the camera to shooting position, but it still pulled my shirt a lot. So I tried carrying the camera in front of my belly to reduce the amount of backward strap slide getting to shooting position, but it still pulled too much on my shirt. I discovered on their web site that you can remove the shoulder pad portion and flip it over, so I tried that (anti-slip grip up, nylon side against my shoulder) and it does grab less, but it's still grabby.

I do love the stability of the camera, the comfort of the shoulder pad, and the minimal movement when walking with the Cinch 2. I also love Luma's Arca-Swiss compatible tripod mount plate's solid grip on the camera. I compared it to the Luma Loop, and while I love the glide action and how the shoulder pad stays put with the Luma Loop, the camera definitely dangles/swings a LOT more than being attached to both ends of the Cinch 2.

I'm going to have to try it another day or so to see if I prefer the stability of the Cinch 2 or the convenience of the Luma Loop. If I decide on stability, I'll keep the Cinch 2 and live with some shirt bunching, and hopefully get smoother with practice on the position changes. If I go for convenience, I'll get the Custom SLR Glide Strap. I love the functionality of the Luma Loop, but its front screw bruises my left pectoral muscle, and it does not distribute the camera weight nearly as well as it should, causing pain in my left trapezius muscle. (It doesn't take much to cause pain in my left trapezius, so maybe I have a trigger point, though I don't feel one, or I'm just out of shape. Still, pressure = force / area, so the larger the padded area, the less pressure I'll feel.

May 27, 2013 at 03:27 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone Like Old Luma Loop Better than Cinch?

on "Dohickies": the 2 carabiner setup as far as QR's go is a (0) out of (10). they have a greater capability of inducing divots and damage to your cameras baseplate in use if you tend to use it a lot and keep it on. as most people use the AS plate system both regular and L type it makes Luma Labs configuration rather redundant and if not considerably less useful.

for me their plate has been relegated to being a possible back up plate for a camera that just doesn't have one at the time. in addition LL made no effort to even match the Allen key size (5/32 vs their 1/8) on the bolt head that others use. the bolt itself is non-captive and longer to make up for the plates thickness. though you can opting to standardize your bolts (and only with the newer smaller head RRS ones which fit the countersink at least for now) you need to find a slightly longer one to "safely" full engage it in the base and camera (that's a technical opinion of a technician. though you can really put extra effort to crush down the polymer base)
it is a nice sort of design but needs minor design rework.

© sjms 2013

May 27, 2013 at 07:33 AM
davidahn

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone Like Old Luma Loop Better than Cinch?

SJMS, thanks for your advice re: plates. I will give up on QR, as I don't want to damage my D800E with carabiners. Incidentally, I'm getting used to the Cinch 2 strap, and I'm really liking the stable hold on my camera. I haven't made up my mind yet, but I'll keep using it to see which way I go, stability vs. convenience.

I do like the Cinch 2 plate a LOT... compared to the one that came with my cheap tripod (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RCHX0W/), but what do you expect for $80 (total kit)? I've ordered a Feisol CT-3442 and Photo Clam PC-40NS ball head. I'll see how well the Luma Labs plate works with my new Photo Clam head (if at all), and then consider getting the Photo Clam custom D800 plate vs. L-bracket vs. plate or bracket for the MD-B12 as I decide which way I'm going to go.

May 28, 2013 at 01:35 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.