Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Which M42 to Contax C/Y adapter?

genji
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which M42 to Contax C/Y adapter?

I've just picked up my first M42 mount lens, a Tair 11A, which I wish to use on both Canon FF and Sony NEX with a Contax C/Y Speed Booster. So now I need an M42 to Contax C/Y adapter but am confused by the two kinds of adapters that are available on the auction site and elsewhere.

Some of the items for sale include just the adapter, others include the adapter plus a spanner:

http://www.rugift.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_full/m42-lens-to-contax-yashica-adapter.jpg

I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions about which adapter I should purchase...

May 24, 2013 at 11:12 PM
perost

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which M42 to Contax C/Y adapter?

I've bought one of these for my aus Jena Sonnar 135/3.5, which works very well. The adapter is very small and full of sharp corners though, so you pretty much need some kind of tool to remove it. So an included spanner would be useful if you wish to remove the adapter, but otherwise it's not really needed.

May 25, 2013 at 06:22 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which M42 to Contax C/Y adapter?

You have to figure if you need one with a rim, or without a rim. I expect the Tair has a simple push-pin aperture control gizmo, in which case a rimmed adapter is right, as shown in your example photo. OTOH, if the lens has a Man/Auto switch, or parts that stick out on the rear of the mount (i.e. aperture index tab, etc.), then a rimless adapter would be best.

I think you'll be better off with two adapters; one M42 to EOS and another M42 to C/Y. That way, you won't have to stack M42 to C/Y on C/Y to EOS for your EOS bodies. For M42 adapters, I like the Fotodiox products. Get ones with black finish, not chrome.

May 25, 2013 at 09:52 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which M42 to Contax C/Y adapter?

For C/Y you want the type with the spanner, these fit entirely inside the mount, which is necessary to reach infinity with M42 lenses and C/Y mount (Pentax K mount is the same, as both share the same register as M42). The ones with a lip that fits over the mount, like EOS or Alpha M42 adapters, will have infinity issues.

There's also the issue of the inner lip, which is necessary with some M42 lenses to push in the pin to stop the lens down, these are the two variations that jcolwell shows in his image of 2 EOS adapters.

May 25, 2013 at 11:00 AM
genji
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which M42 to Contax C/Y adapter?

perost, jcolwell, and mawz: thank you! I mistakenly thought that the M42 mount was "simple", compared to the various bayonet mounts I'm familiar with.

Since the Tair 11A is a preset lens, I suppose I'm correct in assuming that either a rimmed or non-rimmed adapter will do, since there won't be a pin to be pushed in.

I agree that getting separate M42 to EOS and M42 to C/Y adapters is preferable. The reason I was thinking of stacking them was because my Canon FF body is a 1Ds Mark II, which has the EOS Body Switch. The happypagehk Contax C/Y to EOS adapter is the only one I've been able to find that reliably triggers the switch.

But Fotodiox offer a Pro M42 Lens - Canon EOS Adapter for 1d,1ds,Mark II,III that, hopefully, will do the trick. (Interestingly, none of the Fotodiox adapters appear to be rimmed.)

May 25, 2013 at 07:57 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which M42 to Contax C/Y adapter?

M42 mount started simple. For for a mount that saw over 60 years of production (from the first Contax in 1948 to the last Zeiss ZS lens and Voigtlander Bessaflex TM a few years ago) there was a lot of room for variation, including the addition of auto-aperture stopdown (what the pin does) and even open aperture metering on the Spotmatic F and late SMC Takumar lenses.

May 25, 2013 at 11:23 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.