Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

paparazzinick
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

tobicus wrote:
Basically, we're starting a family next year, both working, I went back to school, we want more free time together, and weddings stress my wife out. Solo, I could swing the work, school, and weddings, but wife + baby trump the bit of extra money the weddings bring in. There are definitely families that make it work with wedding photography and kids, but we're not one of them.

And since for us, it's always been part time (we each make more from our day jobs than last and this year's wedding profits put together), she'd rather have the extra time
...Show more

Good for you man. We used to do 40-50 a year. The reason why we dropped to 15-20 was because we now have 2 kids. When our first was born, we dropped to 25 or so. My wife is a teacher and is off in the summer. So she doesnt mind doing weddings with me. She just will not do every wedding in the summer with me and will only do 1 a month during the school year. SO I try and only book her with me during the summer and for only 2 a month. Keeping the wife is key

May 25, 2013 at 07:39 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

See, I only want to book up to 25 a year and I dont have a family yet! I just dont want to get burned out... I also dont want Every weekend tied up so I can have a life! lol

We all have to do what works for us. Do what you gatta do Tobicus. Paparazzinick, happy wife = happy life!

May 25, 2013 at 10:29 PM
morby
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

When I worked full time and did wedding photography my limit was around 25 and that was still too much. Now our boundaries are no Sunday's and one weekend off a month. I don't have a limit on how many weddings I'll take, we just look at each month and make sure we have breaks built in there.

May 25, 2013 at 11:29 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

Tony Hoffer wrote:
Lets not play this game on here.

May 26, 2013 at 02:46 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

paparazzinick wrote:
Good for you man. We used to do 40-50 a year. The reason why we dropped to 15-20 was because we now have 2 kids. When our first was born, we dropped to 25 or so. My wife is a teacher and is off in the summer. So she doesnt mind doing weddings with me. She just will not do every wedding in the summer with me and will only do 1 a month during the school year. SO I try and only book her with me during the summer and for only 2 a month. Keeping the wife is
...Show more

Thanks Nick : D You get where I'm coming from. Thanks too NYstyles, and good luck to you both!

May 26, 2013 at 03:01 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

tobicus wrote:
Thanks Nick : D You get where I'm coming from. Thanks too NYstyles, and good luck to you both!

Good luck to you too! Its just as hard to quit as it is to start when you worked so hard. You have to do whats best for the family and yourself! Wish you and the family all the best. Same goes for you too! Happy wife = happy life!

May 27, 2013 at 02:32 AM
HubbardJA
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

We're part time and very happy with our business/clients/life. Our goal for 2013 was 10 weddings, we've met our goal and may take another wedding or two depending on schedules and family plans.

We don't have any bookings for 2014 yet, but we have our first consultations for 2014 weddings planned for this week so that may change soon. We've generally averaged bookings about 5-9 months from the wedding date; it's nice to have 2014 inquires so early in the year.

We're expecting our first little one in December so we may take fewer weddings next year but the extra money is nice.

-Jayson

May 27, 2013 at 11:39 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

HubbardJA wrote:
We're part time and very happy with our business/clients/life. Our goal for 2013 was 10 weddings, we've met our goal and may take another wedding or two depending on schedules and family plans.

We don't have any bookings for 2014 yet, but we have our first consultations for 2014 weddings planned for this week so that may change soon. We've generally averaged bookings about 5-9 months from the wedding date; it's nice to have 2014 inquires so early in the year.

We're expecting our first little one in December so we may take fewer weddings next year but the extra money is
...Show more

Thats perfect! You are where I am in a sense. We are full time and you are part time. You are comfortable where you are at and starting to get 2014 now. I wish you the best dude. Have fun when the little one arrives. When our first was due, we had a new years even wedding. My wife was 9 months pregnant and due at any second. So nerve racking. Our son came on Jan 10th, thank god.

May 27, 2013 at 02:17 PM
HubbardJA
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

paparazzinick wrote:
Thats perfect! You are where I am in a sense. We are full time and you are part time. You are comfortable where you are at and starting to get 2014 now. I wish you the best dude. Have fun when the little one arrives. When our first was due, we had a new years even wedding. My wife was 9 months pregnant and due at any second. So nerve racking. Our son came on Jan 10th, thank god.

Thanks! The Mrs. doesn't want to take any chances so we're not taking any weddings as primary this December. Though, it's not a popular month in our area and it's always nice to have a referral to send out to photog friends in the area as a thank you for the referrals they send to me.

May 28, 2013 at 01:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sarah Dickerso
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

2013 is pretty much as full as I want it (36 weddings). 2014 is behind where I was on 2013 with bookings, but 2013 filled freakishly fast (I had 30 by years' end last year). I am still getting lots of 2013 inquiries for later in the year. I was actually concerned about 2014 but just in the past week I've started getting several inquiries. I've got 5 booked for next year with 1 pending and another consultation tonight. Last year at this time I was sitting at 9 I believe for 2013.

Not too concerned based on the number of 2013 inquiries I got all winter and am still getting. A lot of other photographers in my market have been saying people seem to be booking later; a couple of venues I've talked to have even said it's been the same with them.

I do see a portrait slowdown, but I've raised my rates above the mid-level shooters around here (we're swamped with $300-450 shoot + disc portrait shooters, and of course a bazillion really low level shooters, we're talking $100-150 for shoot + disc) so those that tend to book me REALLY value it. I'm in the process of taking on freelance design work (I was a graphic designer for 13 years before I went full time with my photography business) and that may fill in for portraits for me. If it picks up nicely, I will probably pretty much limit myself to weddings, engagements + boudoir.

May 28, 2013 at 05:24 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

It'll be much more smaller packages/sessions...

May 29, 2013 at 04:08 PM
Evan JF Roth
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

Whoa! how can some of you be booked for 2014! Like 90% of my brides are booking somewhere between 9 and 4 four months away from their wedding! I thought having two for 2014 already was pretty exciting, it's the most I've had in my three years of weddings this far in advance.
I planned my wedding in 6 months, I don't know who would even want to wait over a year!

May 29, 2013 at 05:06 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

I am by no means booked up for 2014, but I already have more bookings for 2014 right now, than I did for 2013 in September of last year.

May 29, 2013 at 06:07 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

Evan JF Roth wrote:
Whoa! how can some of you be booked for 2014! Like 90% of my brides are booking somewhere between 9 and 4 four months away from their wedding! I thought having two for 2014 already was pretty exciting, it's the most I've had in my three years of weddings this far in advance.
I planned my wedding in 6 months, I don't know who would even want to wait over a year!

Around here it's very common. My engagement was about 1 year and many considered that really short. I've had a few friends do 3 or 6 months and people thought they were insane. Good venues often book up very early. Personally I like the short engagement idea, but I like that other people don't

May 29, 2013 at 06:08 PM
g-money
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

Wow so strange. Seems my area always books 8 months or less in advance. I am still booking for fall/winter weddings 2013 right now. I fell out the other day when I booked one for March of 2014 as this is a long lead time for here. Then imagine my surprise this morning when I got my second inquiry for 2014... wouldn't you know it, 51 other weekends open to choose from and yes they wanted the same weekend I have already booked. Just my luck!!

Greg

May 29, 2013 at 08:26 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

g-money wrote:
Wow so strange. Seems my area always books 8 months or less in advance. I am still booking for fall/winter weddings 2013 right now.

Same here. Most of my inquiries coming in now are for fall of this year. Don't have a single booking for 2014.

May 29, 2013 at 08:51 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

You know it is hit or miss in PGH. Some years brides book 12-18 months out, other years it is 6-9 months out. 2013 was one of the 6-9 out.

May 30, 2013 at 02:16 AM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

10 this year with a full time job and it's about perfect. next year will be even less so i can continue to travel and enjoy other things. so far it's looking like we may have 2, which is less than last year at the same time, but it's mostly because we bumped up prices and now averaging closer to 5k/wedding.

May 30, 2013 at 12:32 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password