Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

paparazzinick
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

So with the economy still in the shitter, regardless of what you think or what the GOV tells us. It sucks! I will bet that it is going to get even worse, really soon!

Because of the economy, our 2012 was down from past years and 2013 was very thin. Luckily we both got raises at our day jobs and we both decide that we did not want to do as many, but it was still down. But all of a sudden, we are seeing an increase in weddings again. Even with us doing little to no work in advertising. We havent really blogged much in the past 6 months. We have about 75 events and sessions to get up on the blog. yea I know, but we have been busy.

With the increase recently in 2014 inquiries and bookings, we just officially passed our 2013 bookings with more for 2014. Just curious as to how your 2014 is looking and if you had a decrease in your 2013 as well?

May 25, 2013 at 01:06 AM
morby
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

I was wondering that as well. In 2012 I did 37 weddings and this year I have 37 weddings booked so far, but I'm behind in my 2014 bookings and it worries me. I'm hoping it will pick up over the Summer and into the Fall.

I found this article very informative when in comes to trends with brides and planning for a wedding - http://mktg.weddingwire.com/info/

May 25, 2013 at 04:16 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

We're pretty much full for 2014. We might take one or two more. But it filled up faster than any previous year and our averages are much higher. 2013 was the same. Our inquiries are less now than 3 or 4 years ago, but they're better, so it doesn't really matter much.

May 25, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

paparazzinick wrote:
So with the economy still in the shitter, regardless of what you think or what the GOV tells us. It sucks! I will bet that it is going to get even worse, really soon!

Lets not play this game on here.

May 25, 2013 at 12:54 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

I'm finding that couples are booking later and later. I had a lot more people booking 12 months + out a couple years ago than I am today. These days most couples books me "same year" for their wedding.

It's not as cool as being booked 2 years out, but it fills the calendar and I'm happy.

May 25, 2013 at 01:06 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

I am fully booked for 2014, 2015 and 2016 is getting there !!!

Here in my country the tendency is shorter coverage and late notice which I hate.

Slower 2014 than 2013.

Hey the above was a joke, for the ones still in shock !!!

May 25, 2013 at 01:18 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

My weddings are about the same but they are booking less than a year out this year. My portraits have dropped off though, quiet a bit this year. My graphic design work has become my fill in for portraits.

May 25, 2013 at 02:08 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

What do you guys look at when you consider yourself "booked"? I used to look at number of weddings, but I'm trying to shift to the amount of money that I'm making.

May 25, 2013 at 02:33 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

NYstyles wrote:
My weddings are about the same but they are booking less than a year out this year. My portraits have dropped off though, quiet a bit this year. My graphic design work has become my fill in for portraits.

This year I'm making a big push for portrait and family work. My bread and butter has always been weddings, but I know that there is a lot of untapped avenues out there for other income.

May 25, 2013 at 02:34 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

morby wrote:
What do you guys look at when you consider yourself "booked"? I used to look at number of weddings, but I'm trying to shift to the amount of money that I'm making.

Many photographers like to advertise that they are "booked" or "booking up fast" as a marketing technique in order to get more bookings. Some people are genuinely that busy (Hoffer), but for many it's a salesman technique.

I, personally, will take almost as many weddings as my schedule will hold and I very rarely turn away work if I have the date free. There are exceptions, but that is the general trend.

That said, I might turn away work during a month where I already have a LOT going on, but I think it's silly to turn away work in December because you booked 6 weddings in June (which in turn met a yearly quote you set for yourself).

May 25, 2013 at 02:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

deepbluejh wrote:
I think it's silly to turn away work in December because you booked 6 weddings in June (which in turn met a yearly quote you set for yourself).

You may think it's silly to turn away work, any work, but others have families and want to maintain quality of life. It's called balance. People run their business as they see fit.

May 25, 2013 at 03:03 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

morby wrote:
This year I'm making a big push for portrait and family work. My bread and butter has always been weddings, but I know that there is a lot of untapped avenues out there for other income.

I used to do more portraits than weddings, I started with portraits. Now its a total shift... I rank high for portraits too! I think portraits are going to get tougher and tougher... even the big box stores shut down. Im not winning, prosumer DLSRs and phones are. lol Ive tried every advertising avenue there is and I know how to sell my value. Getting people there to even sell it is the issue. They can go buy a DSLR for the cost of a family session with me!

May 25, 2013 at 03:09 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

morby wrote:

I look at both actually. I know I need to make x amount. I know I can hit that at between 15-20 weddings. So when I hit my goal I will look and see how many I have and if I want to take more. Sometimes I will take 22-24 if our family wants a more extravagant vacation that year or we need to get stuff done at the house.

May 25, 2013 at 04:24 PM
awad
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

Tony Hoffer wrote:
We're pretty much full for 2014. We might take one or two more. But it filled up faster than any previous year and our averages are much higher. 2013 was the same. Our inquiries are less now than 3 or 4 years ago, but they're better, so it doesn't really matter much.

We're seeing the same thing, 2014 is filling up super fast. Everyone is booking a lot earlier now.

May 25, 2013 at 04:34 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

Zero! But we're throwing in the towel after our last wedding in October, and we aren't trying to get any additional weddings. It sounds like most folks who have responded are looking good for next year, which is good.

May 25, 2013 at 04:35 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

tobicus wrote:
Zero! But we're throwing in the towel after our last wedding in October, and we aren't trying to get any additional weddings. It sounds like most folks who have responded are looking good for next year, which is good.

Why throw the towel in?

I'm always curious as to why people call it quits.

May 25, 2013 at 04:55 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

awad wrote:
We're seeing the same thing, 2014 is filling up super fast. Everyone is booking a lot earlier now.

Yes, exactly! 2012 and 2013, people were waiting till last minute. For 2014, it seems people are back to booking 12-18 months out.

May 25, 2013 at 04:57 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

Tony Hoffer wrote:
Lets not play this game on here.

not starting anything. but can't hide the truth

May 25, 2013 at 04:58 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

deepbluejh wrote:
I'm finding that couples are booking later and later. I had a lot more people booking 12 months + out a couple years ago than I am today. These days most couples books me "same year" for their wedding.

This is the trend I've noticed as well. And yes, I do think state-side it's economy influenced. I used to average 12-18 months out. Now, it's a pretty rigid 6-9 months. Overall though, bookings are about the same. More and more people are charging or borrowing though. I know that much by the payments I receive.

May 25, 2013 at 05:40 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Hows 2014 looking compared to 2013

paparazzinick wrote:
Why throw the towel in?

I'm always curious as to why people call it quits.

Basically, we're starting a family next year, both working, I went back to school, we want more free time together, and weddings stress my wife out. Solo, I could swing the work, school, and weddings, but wife + baby trump the bit of extra money the weddings bring in. There are definitely families that make it work with wedding photography and kids, but we're not one of them.

And since for us, it's always been part time (we each make more from our day jobs than last and this year's wedding profits put together), she'd rather have the extra time than extra money, and I can't blame her. Things would possibly be different if, say, we had experienced enough success to drop our day jobs and do it full time, or if I weren't going to school, but the way things are, shutting down the business is how we're going to handle it. Finishing school will allow me to get a better teaching job than the one I currently have, and ideally allow my wife to drop down to part time in her job while giving us both a couple of months off each summer. And the last thing my wife wants to do is shoot other people's lives all summer long.

May 25, 2013 at 05:51 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password