Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Topaz Clarity

pr4photos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Topaz Clarity

Anyone bought it? I bought it yesterday. First impressions are that its very good. Going to be useful for a lot of different subjects

May 24, 2013 at 09:21 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Topaz Clarity

I got the trial. I'm still on the fence about it.
There will be a webnar on the 28th so maybe that will convince me.
Paul

May 25, 2013 at 12:57 AM
harrygilbert
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Topaz Clarity

I also got the trial. Still playing with it, although I don't see it will do anything better than can be done with some Photoshop skills. I've got all the other Topaz plug-ins, so I'll probably get this one as well. At the introductory price it's a no-brainer, and I do like to support Topaz.

May 25, 2013 at 02:19 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Topaz Clarity

Yeah it was a great price. Already seen it pirated on the web!!!! but I wanted to support them too. If you don't support them they can't afford to develop new software

May 25, 2013 at 10:52 AM
BigBadWolfie

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Topaz Clarity

Was hoping someone would ask this question. Has anyone done a comparison between Clarity, LR4's clarity slider, what can be achieved using Topaz' Adjust and Detail, and Nik's Pro Contrast, Tonal Contrast, Detail Extractor, and structure sliders?

I'll download it soon to try it out but it seems like a combination of exposure and clarity/contrast adjustment.

May 25, 2013 at 01:12 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Topaz Clarity

Clarity does seem much less destructive than the others you have mentioned.. You can end up with halos with others

May 25, 2013 at 01:28 PM
Allynb
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Topaz Clarity

Looks like it would be another version of Detail 3?

May 25, 2013 at 03:31 PM
Agalma

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Topaz Clarity

Allynb wrote:
Looks like it would be another version of Detail 3?

Clarity is different. Detail 3 is for output sharpening. Clarity is for contrast, color, and luminance.

May 26, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Topaz Clarity

I'd like to see a large(ish) before and after sample, say 1600 pixels on the long side (or full rez if someone has the hosting capability).

I'm thinking there's nothing it can do that can't be done with rudimentary PS skills, as harrygilbert said above.

May 26, 2013 at 04:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tuthill
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Topaz Clarity

Ho1972 wrote:
I'd like to see a large(ish) before and after sample, say 1600 pixels on the long side (or full rez if someone has the hosting capability).

I'm thinking there's nothing it can do that can't be done with rudimentary PS skills, as harrygilbert said above.

Perhaps you could download the trial and let us know if you can match it with rudimentary PS skills?

May 26, 2013 at 08:36 PM
miccullen
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Topaz Clarity

tuthill wrote:
Perhaps you could download the trial and let us know if you can match it with rudimentary PS skills?

And in the same timeframe.

May 26, 2013 at 08:58 PM
dadagallery
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Topaz Clarity

Ho1972 said "I'm thinking there's nothing it can do that can't be done with rudimentary PS skills"......
The gift of filters such as Clarity is speed and time saved. I can make more money if I have more time that is not spent on slower tools. I need PS but am grateful to Nik and Topaz for the ease they bring to specific tasks, while I am in PS. And PS didn't always have great sharpening/blur/effects/etc tools until 3rd party developers came in with pre/post/midtone sharpening/etc products. In no way connected with Topaz but they really offer effective tools at a great price. If you have more time than money then PS is all you need. Otherwise $29 is a bargain.

May 26, 2013 at 09:06 PM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Topaz Clarity

tuthill wrote:

miccullen wrote:
And in the same timeframe.

dadagallery wrote:
The gift of filters such as Clarity is speed and time saved.

Still waiting for the B&A... and Actions run pretty quickly.

I don't care how many plugins anyone uses -- they're just another tool. My preference is to not spend money on tools similar to what I already have.

FWIW, I'm not trying to pick a fight over this topic. This isn't DPReview...

May 26, 2013 at 11:28 PM
tuthill
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Topaz Clarity

Ho1972 wrote:

Still waiting for the B&A... and Actions run pretty quickly.

I don't care how many plugins anyone uses -- they're just another tool. My preference is to not spend money on tools similar to what I already have.

FWIW, I'm not trying to pick a fight over this topic. This isn't DPReview...

No fight or offense intended. I was just suggesting that it would cost you nothing, other than time, to do your own comparison. We don't know your process so it's a little difficult for us to respond to your request.

May 27, 2013 at 06:07 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Topaz Clarity

Some people don't have the photoshop skills to produce similar results to plugins. For these people they are extremely useful. Some people like myself spend most of their time taking photos and really need a fast processing workflow to enable use to get the finished images to clients within in a given deadline - for example last week I did a job which resulted in 14 images - I had two hours to take the photos and get the finished images uploaded to the client.

May 27, 2013 at 08:40 AM
ariel777
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Topaz Clarity

John Barcay's tutorial via the Topaz site today was very good. Not only did he lucidly explain and demonstrate Clarity with "clarity", but also discussed how the program integrates with Detail and Adjust. Also, he compares it to the LR4 sliders and explains why he believes the program to be a "game changer".
I use LR4 extensively (tho far from an "expert") and see where Clarity exceeds considerably its LR4 counterparts. He also notes and focusses on the new and apparent state of the art masking features in the program which he states are a game-changer. I would suggest that when his presentation hits UTube (probably within a week or so) it would be a worthwhile take.It will be responsive to some of the observations on this thread.

May 29, 2013 at 01:52 AM
ariel777
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Topaz Clarity

Like most of the Topaz programs, it's not for a quick fix which you have to get out to a client post haste. From my vantage point, it's more of means to hone and craft an image (e.g., a landscape image) where you have all the time in the world to craft it in the way you want to, and do a big print or prints. For a "dash and go", it's a 10 second (at the most) gig with LR4.

May 29, 2013 at 01:59 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Topaz Clarity

Here's a quick overview of the differences between Adjust, Detail, InFocus and Clarity:

http://www.topazlabs.com/blog/whats-the-difference-between-clarity-and-detailadjustinfocus/

And there's a related webinar with questions and answers tomorrow at 2:15 CDT:

http://www.topazlabs.com/webinars/

I bought it and I think it provides some unique effects and enhancements that you might be able to create in PS but not without a LOT of work. That's my opinion and I've been using Photoshop since version 2.0 on a Macintosh IIsi.

May 30, 2013 at 04:33 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password