New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · LED flash for camera phones

iblazr

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LED flash for camera phones

Hi, guys. This post isn't an advertisement or spam. I really want to hear some feedback about our invention. It's a first LED Flash for smartphones and tablets. Portable, powerful, easy-to-use flash which can be controlled from any mobile device using 3.5 mm audio jack. The flash will come with flexible charger cable that can be used as a stand, so iblazr will be a great solution for macro photography even for serious DSLRs/

What do you think about such device? Do you really need a powerful flash for your camera phone? How much will you pay for such device?

We are planning to launch our device at kickstarter soon and its really important to hear your feedback!

Hope thread's moderator will allow to post a few photos of device and test pictures

Thank you!

May 23, 2013 at 04:05 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LED flash for camera phones

Ummm... It sounds like it could fill a niche, but I think power would be important. I'm not sure that LEDs would give you the kind of output to make a dramatic difference over the built-in flash of most phones. It just seems like it would be money and inconvenience (carrying it around) if it didn't deliver, say, and order-of-magnitude difference.

May 23, 2013 at 06:56 PM
iblazr

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LED flash for camera phones

amacal1 wrote:
Ummm... It sounds like it could fill a niche, but I think power would be important. I'm not sure that LEDs would give you the kind of output to make a dramatic difference over the built-in flash of most phones. It just seems like it would be money and inconvenience (carrying it around) if it didn't deliver, say, and order-of-magnitude difference.

Thanks for your reply! We are using 4 hi-end LEDs (american CREE XTE), one of the most powerfull LEDs in the world in such size! It provides the light that could be compared with basic 24 constant light LED systems... Our tests shows around x3 power of iPhone flash, and x10 power of iPhone constant light. And it's still not the full potential of our device!

May 24, 2013 at 04:47 AM
iblazr

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LED flash for camera phones

Here is a test shot. Maybe not the best quality, but it is without photoshop and shows how prototype is working. It's a second floor of the building, on the top- iPhone 5 flash, bottom- iblazr Test shot

May 24, 2013 at 04:51 AM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LED flash for camera phones

iblazr wrote:
Thanks for your reply! We are using 4 hi-end LEDs (american CREE XTE), one of the most powerfull LEDs in the world in such size! It provides the light that could be compared with basic 24 constant light LED systems... Our tests shows around x3 power of iPhone flash, and x10 power of iPhone constant light. And it's still not the full potential of our device!

Power control. Having a flash that can only fire at one power level is fairly limiting when you are using flash.

May 24, 2013 at 07:13 AM
iblazr

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LED flash for camera phones

Power control. Having a flash that can only fire at one power level is fairly limiting when you are using flash.

We've already developed the app for iOS and finishing developing the application for Android! It is possible to adjust brightness of iblazr+ you can use it with both back and front camera. Yes, and it will come for free with your flash.

And there are several third party developers of camera applications who agreed to add iblazr control panel to their apps.

May 24, 2013 at 08:49 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LED flash for camera phones

The fact it requires tethering would limit it's utility to task like macro, but how many people use their photos for macro?

What would be more practical when off camera "key" lighting was desired would be a battery operated continuous bank of LEDs which the camera's flash would factor into it's exposure setting for the built-in flash in the ambient light. That would also allow it to be used for video.

But having tried that approach with my phone with flashlights as external "key" lighting I've found the biggest limitation and showstopper to be the ability of the camera metering to expose correctly. It appears to based on or weighted for the known guide number and computed focus distance. Even when just the built-in flash is used it blows highlights and there is no way to adjust (flash compensation) as with any DSLR flash.

May 24, 2013 at 10:02 AM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LED flash for camera phones

I see, it uses its own app. That should help with exposure and metering.

If you're already creating your own app, why bother with tethering it? Why not use bluetooth or something?

May 24, 2013 at 03:20 PM
iblazr

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LED flash for camera phones

The flash could work simply as a "bank of LEDs with battery". There is one button that turn the iblazr on and you can choose between three brightness levels. Moreover, we developed a flexible charger cable that could be used as a stand. So you can use the iblazr as a portable source of continuous light with the stand.

We didn't include bluetooth module, because that will increase the price of the device and it's size. But you can still use iblazr as an off cameraphone flash with simple headphone extension cable...

May 27, 2013 at 08:40 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.