Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Sequestration Hits National Parks Just In Time For Tourist Season

Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sequestration Hits National Parks Just In Time For Tourist Season

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/23/sequestration-national-parks_n_3326973.html

edit: so lets take it away from a political discussion.

Post of any closures (state parks, national parks) that you know of and let this thread serve as a guide.

Thank you.

P.S i'm really not interested in your political view.

Edited on May 23, 2013 at 04:48 PM · View previous versions

May 23, 2013 at 02:04 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sequestration Hits National Parks Just In Time For Tourist Season

The road down to Schwabacher Landing in the Tetons is closed until further notice because there is nothing in the budget to keep up after the bathrooms in the parking lot.

May 23, 2013 at 02:07 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sequestration Hits National Parks Just In Time For Tourist Season

You gotta love our government. Excessive spending on unnecessary wars, buying votes with welfare and other programs, supporting countries whose people hate us, etc, etc and when forced to curtail spending even modestly, do it in such a way as to affect the people who pay for it all so they will accept higher taxes as necessary.

May 23, 2013 at 02:23 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sequestration Hits National Parks Just In Time For Tourist Season

I usually avoid political commentary in my life as a photographer. However, whatever you feel about the specifics of how budgets are created, how funds are collected, and how they are spent... there seems to be a collective failure in our culture to make connections between the costs of things and their value.

This specific problem won't get dealt with by our political system until it becomes uncomfortable and even painful for more and more people, as it most surely will. Such has already been the result for certain subgroups in the USA, many of whom you might not know about unless you happen to know certain people, but this circle will expand. Count on it.

May 23, 2013 at 02:23 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sequestration Hits National Parks Just In Time For Tourist Season

stanparker wrote:
You gotta love our government. Excessive spending on unnecessary wars, buying votes with welfare and other programs, supporting countries whose people hate us, etc, etc and when forced to curtail spending even modestly, do it in such a way as to affect the people who pay for it all so they will accept higher taxes as necessary.

Agreed

Dan

May 23, 2013 at 03:13 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sequestration Hits National Parks Just In Time For Tourist Season

Hey Sunny,

Don't let gDan scare you away from political comment... It's not about bashing the politics that got us here to this point, but it will be politicians unfortunately that have to solve this issue...

It is a very sad state of affairs when parts of a park are closed off, that doesn't seem to make any sense. And in terms of the Grand Teton, I wonder if that isn't just a little spitefulness from the Parks service then to close off that area? Because that's what it sounds like to me. Yes, the politicians that got us into this mess are wrong, but when the Parks service closes off area's of parks for totally stupid reasons, like not being able to clean a bathroom... then they are not any smarter than the politicians...

Is there a way we can make our voices heard on this?

Jim

May 23, 2013 at 05:09 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sequestration Hits National Parks Just In Time For Tourist Season

JimFox wrote:
Hey Sunny,

Don't let gDan scare you away from political comment... It's not about bashing the politics that got us here to this point, but it will be politicians unfortunately that have to solve this issue...

It is a very sad state of affairs when parts of a park are closed off, that doesn't seem to make any sense. And in terms of the Grand Teton, I wonder if that isn't just a little spitefulness from the Parks service then to close off that area? Because that's what it sounds like to me. Yes, the politicians that got us into this mess
...Show more

no, had nothing to do with GDan, it's not direct at Dan at all...someone else posted a comment and then deleted it. so i thought i'd add some disclaimers...not that it's going to stop anyone.

May 23, 2013 at 05:10 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sequestration Hits National Parks Just In Time For Tourist Season

JimFox wrote:
Hey Sunny,

It is a very sad state of affairs when parts of a park are closed off, that doesn't seem to make any sense. And in terms of the Grand Teton, I wonder if that isn't just a little spitefulness from the Parks service then to close off that area? Because that's what it sounds like to me. Yes, the politicians that got us into this mess
...Show more

I suspect spitefulness, there are no toilets at the barns or Snake River Overlook or at Oxbow Bend.

May 23, 2013 at 05:13 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sequestration Hits National Parks Just In Time For Tourist Season

There are toilets inside the barns

May 23, 2013 at 05:15 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sequestration Hits National Parks Just In Time For Tourist Season

Sunny Sra wrote:
There are toilets inside the barns

May 23, 2013 at 07:47 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sequestration Hits National Parks Just In Time For Tourist Season

ben egbert wrote:
I suspect spitefulness, there are no toilets at the barns or Snake River Overlook or at Oxbow Bend.

The barn is on private land i think. Snake river and oxbow both are parking lot/off the highway locations. SL requires a bit of a hike to get to so its easier to shut that off at the main road where there is a gate.

May 23, 2013 at 07:49 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sequestration Hits National Parks Just In Time For Tourist Season

JimFox wrote:

Whaat? You never used it?

May 23, 2013 at 07:50 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sequestration Hits National Parks Just In Time For Tourist Season

JimFox wrote:
Hey Sunny,

Don't let gDan scare you away from political comment...

That wasn't my intent.

Dan

May 23, 2013 at 09:01 PM
camboman
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sequestration Hits National Parks Just In Time For Tourist Season

I'm glad I have my September permit for Canyonlands already in hand.

May 23, 2013 at 09:09 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sequestration Hits National Parks Just In Time For Tourist Season

If they close any parts of the parks, you can get around gates

Serious though - only good I can see out of this, is that perhaps it will get people to explore the parks more, instead of just go where the roads go...

May 23, 2013 at 09:35 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sequestration Hits National Parks Just In Time For Tourist Season

gdanmitchell wrote:
That wasn't my intent.

Dan

Ha ha, and no reason you would. But your post was the only political one I saw, so I had to get on Sunny somehow...

Jim

May 23, 2013 at 09:40 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sequestration Hits National Parks Just In Time For Tourist Season

Dustin Gent wrote:
If they close any parts of the parks, you can get around gates

Serious though - only good I can see out of this, is that perhaps it will get people to explore the parks more, instead of just go where the roads go...

It won't, most people only go where the roads go. So all this will do is limit the majority of people. For the few of us who normally get off the beaten path anyway, all it will mean is a slightly longer walk. It will be the majority who only get out in summer, and that with their families that will lose out. It will be the kids who have no say in this at all who will miss a cool sight.

Jim

May 23, 2013 at 09:44 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sequestration Hits National Parks Just In Time For Tourist Season

I don't remember where the gate on Schwabacher's Landing Road sits, or even if one exists. I do remember that the location of the intersection with the main highway doesn't have room for parking? I imagine a lot of cars parked along the shoulder of the highway along there in the early mornings. The walk from the road amounts to what, maybe 3/4 mile? That road when I was there last fall ~badly~ needed re-grading -- could they have closed it because of that?

Keith

May 24, 2013 at 05:33 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sequestration Hits National Parks Just In Time For Tourist Season

beanpkk wrote:
I don't remember where the gate on Schwabacher's Landing Road sits, or even if one exists. I do remember that the location of the intersection with the main highway doesn't have room for parking? I imagine a lot of cars parked along the shoulder of the highway along there in the early mornings. The walk from the road amounts to what, maybe 3/4 mile? That road when I was there last fall ~badly~ needed re-grading -- could they have closed it because of that?

Keith

Here is the gate

May 24, 2013 at 06:25 PM
deepjay
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sequestration Hits National Parks Just In Time For Tourist Season

Sunny,
Ha!!! We don't have to make political comments about the sequester as our politicians already have, by seemingly cutting those services which then have the greatest impact on the public; i.e., air traffic controllers. Our government works hard to get our attention, but not to improve their approval ratings.
David

May 24, 2013 at 06:48 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.