Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Commercial Image sales?

Jimna

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Commercial Image sales?

Hello everyone, I need some advice. I generally make my money off family portraits, art print sales, and a meager amount via online magazines that run my concert stuff and pay me per-click in the slideshows. This morning I had a marketing company email me about one of my Red Rocks Amphitheatre shots for a commercial project they are working on. I did reply but have not had a response yet.

I have no idea what sort of price to expect on something like this since I have never had this sort of thing come up before. Can anyone advise me on some prices or how to approach this so I maximize my income and dont look foolish in the process? Also what sort of protections should I preserve on the rights in this situation too? I admit this is out of my league, so thanks in advance for any and all insight.

May 23, 2013 at 06:04 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Commercial Image sales?

You need to find out how they plan to use the image, where, why, how long, how big...then write up the license to reflect those limitations. They may or may not be forthcoming....

May 23, 2013 at 07:21 PM
Jimna

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Commercial Image sales?

Thanks Micky. I replied in email basically asking just what you listed, so I guess I wait to see the response. I did do some investigating and see clients on their site like Nike and MTV. Fingers crossed, I need a boost right now. Not being a big wedding shooter makes it hard in this profession, something big would be outstanding!

May 23, 2013 at 07:33 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Commercial Image sales?

By you sounding like you know what's up, you may not get a response ;-). If you do, please keep us updated.

May 23, 2013 at 08:17 PM
Jimna

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Commercial Image sales?

More info: Its for a start-up web based company. They would use it as backdrops on their site pages, business cards, ect....with a logo/text/content over top. They would also alter the image to be gray scale sometimes and would remove any recognizable face too. I am not sure how to approach this, this a first for me.

They did mention wanting a few more if I have them too. (which I do)

May 23, 2013 at 08:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jimna

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Commercial Image sales?

Can anyone point me in the right direction of examples of Licensing agreements for images? ...or sage advice too, I am all about learn as I go, but would rather not make foolish mistakes if possible.

Thanks

May 27, 2013 at 05:22 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Commercial Image sales?

Check out John Harrington's book "Best Business Practices for Photographers." He explains how licensing works, gives some examples of forms (contracts, licenses, etc), and generally explains how the photography business works.

Likewise, the ASMP publication "Business Practices for Professional Photography" covers much of the same ground but with fewer personal examples.

<Chas>

May 29, 2013 at 05:47 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Commercial Image sales?

Jimna, have you heard back from them? How did the communication go?

May 30, 2013 at 01:27 PM
Jimna

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Commercial Image sales?

Yes, they are very interested. I countered their offer of 1 or 2 images with a package enough for all their content needs for the entire site...so I am waiting to hear back now. Fingers crossed!

May 30, 2013 at 01:38 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password