Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

I want to buy the 50MP, but can't find the photos to conv...

Rodluvan
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · I want to buy the 50MP, but can't find the photos to convince me

A bad case of putting the cart before the horse

But really, since I got rid of the 2/100 I've been lacking in the macro department and come spring I feel that it would be nice to close that gap. I suspect that 50mm will fit me better than 100mm did.

However, I fail to find even one compelling photo taken with that lens, they all seem very flat and lacking in character, very much contrary to my experience using many of the other Zeiss/consina lenses. As it is considered by many to be one of the top Zeiss/Cosina dslr lenses I'm greatly surprised and a bit annoyed.

If you would be so kind as to provide me with some of your typical and favourite photos I would greatly appreciate it.

May 23, 2013 at 08:17 AM
twoeye
• •
p.1 #2 · I want to buy the 50MP, but can't find the photos to convince me

I want that lens to, especially when looking at these by denoir:

http://peltarion.eu/img/zeiss/ze50.html

May 23, 2013 at 08:21 AM
Rodluvan
• • •
p.1 #3 · I want to buy the 50MP, but can't find the photos to convince me

twoeye wrote:
I want that lens to, especially when looking at these by denoir:

http://peltarion.eu/img/zeiss/ze50.html

Cheers, excellent.

May 23, 2013 at 08:28 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.1 #4 · I want to buy the 50MP, but can't find the photos to convince me

The 50MP is great IMHO. Good microcontrast, color,...
Maybe you think they're lacking, but I once posted some shots for you in this thread:

link

Here are a few extra:

Shelter from the storm by Jochen-B, on Flickr

Isolated by Jochen-B, on Flickr

May 23, 2013 at 08:32 AM
Rodluvan
• • •
p.1 #5 · I want to buy the 50MP, but can't find the photos to convince me

Jochenb wrote:
The 50MP is great IMHO. Good microcontrast, color,...
Maybe you think they're lacking, but I once posted some shots for you in this thread:

link

Well, sorry I don't seem to remember that thread nor all the photos I've seen. They are fine indeed! Having mulled over this decision this long perhaps I better make a decision.

May 23, 2013 at 08:41 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.1 #6 · I want to buy the 50MP, but can't find the photos to convince me

Rodluvan wrote:
Well, sorry I don't seem to remember that thread nor all the photos I've seen. They are fine indeed! Having mulled over this decision this long perhaps I better make a decision.

Oh don't get me wrong, I was not offended in any way.
Good luck making up your mind.

May 23, 2013 at 08:45 AM
Peire
• • •
p.1 #7 · I want to buy the 50MP, but can't find the photos to convince me

Not compelling but just a few 50/2 MP ZF samples

with NEX

Nikon D600

May 23, 2013 at 09:30 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · I want to buy the 50MP, but can't find the photos to convince me

You can certainly do good work with the 50MP, but it doesn't have the beautiful rendering or 3D of the 50P, just lots of sharpness everywhere, once stopped down a bit. Wide open the corners can be problematic at short to medium distances.

May 23, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Rodluvan
• • •
p.1 #9 · I want to buy the 50MP, but can't find the photos to convince me

Ok, currently in the final stages of buying one. Let's see if this pans out.

May 23, 2013 at 11:15 AM
JaKo
• • •
p.1 #10 · I want to buy the 50MP, but can't find the photos to convince me

carstenw wrote: ...just lots of sharpness everywhere, once stopped down a bit.

No question about it, but at fairly close distance, it is.
Zeiss 50MP is great, but not convincing to me at mid--> infinity despite images posted above (gotta see 100% crops!), even at f/8.
Zeiss 100MP does better job at MTF and infinity IMHO. Mind you 50MP is a 'cute' walk-around (heavy cute it's) and damn sharp with really short MFD.

Rodluvan, you list Zeiss 1.4/50ZF Planar as your only 50mm lens and I feel 50MP will greatly complement your set. However, I would try Leica Summicron-R 50 first unless you really need to focus way under 50cm.

Zeiss 50MP @ f/2

May 24, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

redisburning
• • •
Account locked
p.1 #11 · I want to buy the 50MP, but can't find the photos to convince me

if you want a 50 macro with some character there are a number of 5/4 designs out there, usually with a max aperture of f3.5 or 4, that are quite nice and very inexpensive.

lens character is a weird thing. I like it in a good photograph, where it can really add a sense of being there. but in a really good photo, Id rather have something boring. just my 2c.

May 24, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Picture This!
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · I want to buy the 50MP, but can't find the photos to convince me

The 50MP is a very nice lens. Sold it and I own the Leica Elmarit-R 60mm macro now. Use it with my Nikon D800e. The Leica 60 is a fantastic lens. Have you considered the leica ?

May 24, 2013 at 02:03 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.1 #13 · I want to buy the 50MP, but can't find the photos to convince me

I loved this lens while I had it. I tried out the 50P as well and for my needs I much preferred the 50MP.

May 24, 2013 at 02:28 AM
JimUe
• •
p.1 #14 · I want to buy the 50MP, but can't find the photos to convince me

Picture This! wrote:
The 50MP is a very nice lens. Sold it and I own the Leica Elmarit-R 60mm macro now. Use it with my Nikon D800e. The Leica 60 is a fantastic lens. Have you considered the leica ?

can you describe the differences you've found between the leica 60 and zeiss 50MP please?

May 24, 2013 at 03:52 AM
kezeka
• • •
p.1 #15 · I want to buy the 50MP, but can't find the photos to convince me

I don't have any splendiferous photos taken with the 50MP that I just picked up, but it is a spectacular 50mm lens. Particularly when compared to the canon 50 1.8, 1.4, 1.2, and sigma 1.4 that I tried before it. I cannot comment on other alt 50mm glass because this is my first truly alternative lens. If you are looking for a 50 and are OK with the narrow maximum aperture, I highly recommend it! (though, I believe it is a stop faster than most macro lenses).

My only real complaint is that only 30 degrees or so of the focus throw covers the 2 ft to infinity range for the photography that I bought it for. Then again, if you are buying it for the macro capabilities, I imagine that 270 degrees of focus throw for 2 ft to a few inches is probably a plus!

May 24, 2013 at 05:35 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #16 · I want to buy the 50MP, but can't find the photos to convince me

I also think you should consider the Leica 60/2.8, esp if you have reservations re the 50MP - which is nevertheless better re MTF than the 100MP out to 15mm of image height.

The 60/2.8 Macro-Elmarit-R is distortion free, a resolution monster right across the frame, and excellent at f8 at the expense of some contrast.

'The Macro-Elmarit-R has been designed and corrected for the medium distances in order to provide for excellent performance at infinity...especially at medium apertures the performance is better than with the Summicron-R.' Erwin Puts

Good value too.

May 24, 2013 at 05:57 AM
Rodluvan
• • •
p.1 #17 · I want to buy the 50MP, but can't find the photos to convince me

JaKo wrote:
Rodluvan, you list Zeiss 1.4/50ZF Planar as your only 50mm lens and I feel 50MP will greatly complement your set. However, I would try Leica Summicron-R 50 first unless you really need to focus way under 50cm.

I do have the 3.5/55 Ais Nikkor as well, it's not in the same league as Zeiss lenses when it comes to contrast and colours and I never use it.

I'm not familiar with the Leica R lenses, but don't they need heavy re-manufacturing to fit F-mount? Also, I'm not that keen on start looking for them on ebay (which is the only place I'm likely to find them at all I guess). If I did a lot of macro photography, maybe I would, but as it stands I'm not.

May 24, 2013 at 06:27 AM
Rodluvan
• • •
p.1 #18 · I want to buy the 50MP, but can't find the photos to convince me

redisburning wrote:
if you want a 50 macro with some character there are a number of 5/4 designs out there, usually with a max aperture of f3.5 or 4, that are quite nice and very inexpensive.

I'm not that techy, what's a 5/4 design?

lens character is a weird thing. I like it in a good photograph, where it can really add a sense of being there. but in a really good photo, Id rather have something boring. just my 2c.

Not sure I understand, but it sounds profound

May 24, 2013 at 06:30 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · I want to buy the 50MP, but can't find the photos to convince me

carstenw wrote:
You can certainly do good work with the 50MP, but it doesn't have the beautiful rendering or 3D of the 50P, just lots of sharpness everywhere, once stopped down a bit. Wide open the corners can be problematic at short to medium distances.

To me, the MP's less fussy than the Planar. With the exception of the minor corner issue you mentioned, which is all but gone by f/2.8, the MP's a gifted all-arounder. So long as you're willing to accept the higher contrast and more tightly structured bokeh of a lens designed for close-focus, you get good axial CA control wide open that quickly moves to excellent stopped down and no trans CA that I noticed. Sharp, great resolution, the draw reminds me of the G 45/2 in a lot of ways. If you can frame a beautiful image with a 50, you can take a beautiful image with the MP. The Planar, with specific subjects at specific distances in specific lighting scenarios is capable of elevating a beautiful image, I agree, but if you're off too much on the lens' criteria, the results run between competent and messy. The Planar's like a high-strung show pony, the MP's a workhorse.

I will say this for the Planar, though: All lenses should have an iris like that.

May 24, 2013 at 06:39 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · I want to buy the 50MP, but can't find the photos to convince me

Rodluvan wrote:
I do have the 3.5/55 Ais Nikkor as well, it's not in the same league as Zeiss lenses when it comes to contrast and colours and I never use it.

I'm not familiar with the Leica R lenses, but don't they need heavy re-manufacturing to fit F-mount? Also, I'm not that keen on start looking for them on ebay (which is the only place I'm likely to find them at all I guess). If I did a lot of macro photography, maybe I would, but as it stands I'm not.

Not re-manufacturing. It's a very simple thing to remove the Leica mount (six screws) and replace it with Leitax or other Nikon mount replacement. I'm not particularly handy and I've managed it on quite a few lenses. With Nikon, there's a limited number of the lenses that will work without modification and get mirror clearance on a FF Nikon. Fortunately, the two mentioned in this thread are on that list.

I'm not sure the Summicron 50 is what I would recommend to someone interested in the 50MP. They do share one trait in common- both have very subtle focus transitions. The bokeh is creamier. CA isn't as well controlled. It's a great portrait and event lens, and has a distinct character. It's not the sharpest lens wide open, but it improves steadily as you stop down. It's also one of the few bargains in the R lenses, and widely available used. You can resort to eBay, but you don't have to.

The Elmarit 60 Macro is also one of the bargains in the line. I second what Phillip and others have said. It's well worth seeking out if what you want is a great all-arounder at about half the price of a used 50MP. It's my workhorse.

May 24, 2013 at 07:08 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password