Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · LA to SF Drive, suggestions?

Sneakyracer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · LA to SF Drive, suggestions?

Hi, I am going to be in LA for 6 days (family) in 1 week and then im gonna drive out to San Francisco. I have 4 full days to drive to SF and make some photographs along the way.

I have just three icons on my must do list in that general area: 1- McWay Falls 2- Bixby Bridge 3- Pfeiffer Beach

All three are late afternoon / sunset shots but I know the famous Pfeiffer beach rock won't have the sun shinning through it late in the day since that only happens right in the winter with the sun setting more towards the SW. Im thinking there are other great shots to be made on that beach?

With that plan I would have just one sunset left. Where to go?

If Pfeiffer Beach is not worth the trip this time of year then il go somewhere else and then have two sunsets free.

thx

May 23, 2013 at 01:27 AM
Rand47

p.1 #2 · LA to SF Drive, suggestions?

Point Lobos

Garapata area

May 23, 2013 at 01:48 AM
mike reid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · LA to SF Drive, suggestions?

I second Garapata

its this kind of thing

May 23, 2013 at 04:18 AM
mike reid
• • • •
p.1 #4 · LA to SF Drive, suggestions?

there were also these cool coastal areas north of santa cruz which also seemed to have a lot of potential

May 23, 2013 at 04:22 AM
Neddie Seagoon
• •
p.1 #5 · LA to SF Drive, suggestions?

Little further south, Moro Bay, Pismo Beach, San Simeon. Do stop in Cambria for the wine. Best Chardonnay spot in California.

Just so you're aware, this time of year the coast gets a lot of marine layer fog in the evening. Quite possible that you won't see sunset one. Though this year has been unusually clear. Good luck.

May 23, 2013 at 04:44 AM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · LA to SF Drive, suggestions?

Looks like Mike has been hangin out in my territory
The Garrapata & Santa Cruz areas are full of opportunities.
Big Sur & south, much more. The fog is an issue this time of year

May 23, 2013 at 05:35 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #7 · LA to SF Drive, suggestions?

By the time you shoot the sunset from McWay Falls Cove, it would be well past 8 pm. McWay Falls and Pfeiffer Beach are very close to each other, but going into Pfeiffer Beach.. due to the road condition, it takes some time.. and without having the sun ray going through the hole in the rock.. not much worth, IMHO.
Kee

May 23, 2013 at 01:21 PM
mike reid
• • • •
p.1 #8 · LA to SF Drive, suggestions?

yeah that road to Pfeiffer is long, winding and narrow

May 23, 2013 at 06:07 PM
astv99
• •
p.1 #9 · LA to SF Drive, suggestions?

Neddie Seagoon wrote:
Just so you're aware, this time of year the coast gets a lot of marine layer fog in the evening. Quite possible that you won't see sunset one. Though this year has been unusually clear. Good luck.

If I could ask, what are the better times of year to visit the CA coastline? I'm planning on doing a similar trip myself in mid-July and would probably re-schedule if my timing won't yield good conditions for photography.

May 24, 2013 at 07:07 AM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.1 #10 · LA to SF Drive, suggestions?

My take of the Big Sur coast is in the winter. In between the big winter storms. The skies have storm clouds instead of overcast and the waves are tremendous crashing on the rocks.
Paul

May 24, 2013 at 05:31 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #11 · LA to SF Drive, suggestions?

If I could ask, what are the better times of year to visit the CA coastline? I'm planning on doing a similar trip myself in mid-July and would probably re-schedule if my timing won't yield good conditions for photography.

In Southern California, the marine layer is persistent starting from about mid-May all the way to the end of June. From the beginning of July on, it's typically sunny most of the day. However, even in the middle of the summer, we can have cloudy days, so there are no guarantees.

John

May 24, 2013 at 05:52 PM
Neddie Seagoon
• •
p.1 #12 · LA to SF Drive, suggestions?

Agree with Paul. Best light all up and down the coast happens November to March. Most dramatic light happens right after a storm, clear air, sunlight off receeding storm clouds gives those "Whoa" moments. Late summer, not so much. Lots of just plain haze. You can still get fog in late summer, especially up North but SoCal will be OK. And with no real clouds to reflect sunset light the sky can be pretty drab.

"Coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." Twain was talking about the fog.

May 25, 2013 at 01:33 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password