Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · No love for the sigma 10-20mm f3.5?

MattRobertson7

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · No love for the sigma 10-20mm f3.5?

I've searched on this forum and there is literally nothing about this lens.. One review on the product page on here, and no topics about it when I search. Curious as to why this is. Just picked this up from lensrentals to try it out, and from what i'm seeing it looks great. Looks better to my eye just in a quick test vs. the Canon 10-22mm in terms of bokeh, sharpness, color, and such. I never was extremely impressed with the tokina 11-16mm that everybody seems to love, but this sigma seems like a winner. Constant f3.5, great build quality, nice range, and super wide. What's not to like?

May 22, 2013 at 06:23 PM
dpbingham
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · No love for the sigma 10-20mm f3.5?

I really like it.

While I'm not a professional by any means, I have seen great results from a lens that is reasonably priced. Check out the image I captured in Beijing last month... pretty good in low light and nice sharpness.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8263/8638066414_2f4fe91d5b_c.jpg

May 22, 2013 at 06:30 PM
MattRobertson7

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · No love for the sigma 10-20mm f3.5?

Nice! Looks good! I've been trying to put my pixel peeping days in the past.. I see absolutely nothing that would stop me from making wonderful images with this lens!

May 22, 2013 at 06:31 PM
nixland
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · No love for the sigma 10-20mm f3.5?

I had the Sigma 8-16 for my apsc (60D), but unfortunately I have stopped shooting ultra wide angle for last couple of years.

May 22, 2013 at 08:05 PM
MattRobertson7

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · No love for the sigma 10-20mm f3.5?

nixland wrote:
I had the Sigma 8-16 for my apsc (60D), but unfortunately I have stopped shooting ultra wide angle for last couple of years.
How did you like it? Unfortunatley thats much too dark for the work I do. I do alot more indoor video work than outdoor stuff so that lens wouldn't be super practical for me.

May 22, 2013 at 09:22 PM
Chrissearle
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · No love for the sigma 10-20mm f3.5?

My first was completely soft all down the left hand side. I sent it back and sigma lost it. Four months and about twenty emails later ( apparently they had to send it to Japan which is where it was lost) they sent me a new one, it was better but not much. I gave it to my son he doesnt mind the softness in the corners.

May 26, 2013 at 04:22 AM

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · No love for the sigma 10-20mm f3.5?

I've used the 4-5.6 version of this Sigma twice (once in 2007 on a 30D and just a few weeks ago on 1D Mark II N / 1D Mark III), and both times it was great (different copies, both times taken on a loan). The second time there were some inexplicable OOF shots in broad daylight though. I can't imagine the 3.5 version being any worse, most probably better. If I'd been shooting APS-C I would've probably considered this lens seriously, if not the 8-16.

May 26, 2013 at 05:55 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · No love for the sigma 10-20mm f3.5?

dpbingham wrote:
Check out the image I captured in Beijing last month... pretty good in low light and nice sharpness.

Any lens can do well in tiny webformat or did I miss a link to a fullsize somewhere?

I tried it for a few days on a 5D2 but sent it back. A year earlier or so I had the 8-16 which I found better - and that on a lesser sensor (a Canon 7D). My worst complaint was lack of corner sharpness, a bit soft overall and generally lack of contrast. Still looking. The widest I have is the Samyang 14/2.8 which is superb, but my copy is even worse than the Sigma in far corners. But better for anything else I do.

May 27, 2013 at 03:46 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · No love for the sigma 10-20mm f3.5?

Why would you use the 10-20 on a FF body

EBH

May 27, 2013 at 08:31 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · No love for the sigma 10-20mm f3.5?

EB-1 wrote:
Why would you use the 10-20 on a FF body

EBH

Dont understand your question, there are plenty of uses for a rectilinear WA.

Long time ago I was into images like the two firsts here, now more like the last two. Last two with the Samyang 14/2.8, first two with Sigma 8-16.

May 28, 2013 at 02:31 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.