FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 7 days SW Utah area?

Etherton
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7 days SW Utah area?

I was hoping to get some planning advice for our upcoming southwest Utah trip- staying in Kanab, UT. We are driving in from KY passing through MO, OK, upper TX, NM & AZ (scenic route) and will have 7 days for our trip - with a travel day on each side. We are planning on visiting Zion NP, Bryce Canyon, Upper/Lower Antelope and the north rim of the Grand Canyon. My question is if you were planning on making these stops how would you go about it? Is Zion a sunrise or sunset trip and so on? I am sure it would be incredible both ways but I am likely going to get left hitchhiking if I wake everyone up for the sunrise and make them stay for the sunset everyday. I would love to also do some night astro photography! Are there pass requirements for pitching a tent? How would you plan out those 7 days? I am hoping to get some good shots and have a memorable trip with the family

May 22, 2013 at 05:29 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7 days SW Utah area?

I just spent 7 days in Zion and Bryce. IMO Zion is more of a sunset...and the cliche shot is the watchman. If you plan on hiking you can get some other stuff. Visit the galleries in Sprindale to get some ideas.
Bryce offers more opportunities as you can shoot from the rim (sunset/sunrise/inspiration/bryce points) and then hike inside to get a different perspective of hoodoos.

For sunrise, most of zion is in the shadows. The other place to shoot sunrise would be behind the visitor center, check pics posted by Harshaj1, he has some spectacular photos from there.

The days are long so plan to do hikes or just chill rest of the day and head out for sunset.

May 22, 2013 at 05:42 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7 days SW Utah area?

Zion (inside the canyon) is neither sunset nor sunrise. The direction is S-N, so you get light either on east or west wall depending on a time of the day. Outside the canyon is a different story. There are no cars allowed into the canyon during this time of the year, bus transportation only (except for those who stay in Zion lodge). Rules for campground are @ Zion NP web site.

Bryce is more of sunrise location. Hiking into the canyon is strongly recommended, as it provides completely different perspective. Take plenty of water, as it will be hot and dry, and keep in mind that's high altitude, so watch your pace.

Antelope canyons are late morning - early afternoon location. Photo pass at Lower Antelope does not cost extra, and gives you plenty of time to photograph all you need. Wear comfortable shoes as there is ladder climbing involved, take enough water (that's universal advice for all of SW), extra batteries, and avoid changing lenses inside the canyon.

North Rim is wonderful, I am sure you'll enjoy it very much. I really like the campground - but last time I looked (which was yesterday) it's pretty much booked.

There is Coral Pink Sand Dunes SP near Kanab - it's worth the visit if you have spare time, beautiful during golden hour (if you can find a spot free of ATV tracks.)

Sasha.

May 22, 2013 at 07:04 PM
smmokan16
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7 days SW Utah area?

If you haven't been already, I personally think a night in Monument Valley is well worth the extra drive. Get there for sunset, stay overnight, and then get sunrise shots the next morning. I did a similar trip as yours back in March and MV was probably my favorite.

House on Fire is a really cool spot too, but might be a little too far for you being based in Kanab. Hopefully you're going to spend some time at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary while you're there.

May 22, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7 days SW Utah area?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1200320/
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1203056
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1197481
http://www.frommers.com/destinations/grandcanyonnorthrim/1931010029.html

In general, camping on Nat Forest land is free of fees or permits. The Tropic Reservoir area just w. of Bryce, and the huge forest just north of N. Rim are great places to pitch a tent.

May 23, 2013 at 08:59 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.