Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · who picks the spot for engagement photos?

aonavy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · who picks the spot for engagement photos?

new to this type of work and was wondering who picks the spot for where the photos to be taken?

Simple question

Thanks in advanced

May 22, 2013 at 07:03 AM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · who picks the spot for engagement photos?

they do

and if they don't have ideas then i recommend a few places that i think would be a good fit for them AND me

May 22, 2013 at 07:09 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · who picks the spot for engagement photos?

The couple does.

It's something I discuss with them at the initial consultation. It's a partnership and I want them to be part of the process. More importantly, I want them to feel like they are part of the process. I encourage them to choose a location that means something to them.....whether it's where they first met, a favorite hangout, where they went on their first date, where he/she proposed, etc. Sometimes it's just a place where they want to take photos. I always have a few spots in reserve just in case they come up blank. In fact I've been sitting on 2 spots for over a year now, just waiting for the chance to shoot there.

May 22, 2013 at 07:15 AM
aonavy
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · who picks the spot for engagement photos?

Great! I figured that's how the process went but wasn't sure. I guess ill start scouting out some places in advanced.

Thanks for the reply to my question.

May 22, 2013 at 08:18 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · who picks the spot for engagement photos?

Unlike the other replies thus far, we pick the location, UNLESS the couple have a meaningful place to them. We ask if they have a special place that means something to both of them as a couple. Many times *our clients* don't have such a place so we make suggestions. The reason we make suggestions is that sometimes clients don't really understand practical locations; especially this day and age when many more public locations require a fee and/or at least a permit to shoot. We have one location near us that several clients want their shoot but don't know there is an extremely expensive fee to do so.

Also, we feel that most parks and ponds pretty much look the same (as a backdrop), therefore we try to make it a little more convenient for us in terms of travel. A cityscape is a bit different and can be more personal. We understand that some photographers are willing to travel all over creation, but if we can minimize travel on our end, we do. Again, unless the clients have a special place to them...we obviously will be there.

The main question we ask is about their personalities more so than just choosing a location. Some couples want privacy (eg a park), some want people around (eg downtown locations). Some want both so we go to a location that allows for both types of settings....or at least within quick driving distance.

Also, there is no "process" as you put it. Find out what works best for your business/self. Don't follow the trail of the masses. Your ideas may be better than most others.

May 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · who picks the spot for engagement photos?

They pick the location. I pick the time of day. Unless the location is really, really bad for light, I tell tell them what time of day the images will look the best. My clients are always understanding.

May 22, 2013 at 12:32 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · who picks the spot for engagement photos?

We prefer to ask for what they think they are looking for then we pick the location. We want to make sure there is enough to do in a short, walkable distance. Clients rarely know how things will work out in photos.

- trr

May 22, 2013 at 12:32 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · who picks the spot for engagement photos?

I like to have some control of location. I usually suggest places that fit what they are looking for. This way I know the best time to book the shoot without fighting the sun or too many people.

May 22, 2013 at 12:34 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · who picks the spot for engagement photos?

We give choices (our choices) and usually they're OK with it or will have one that they like so we combine it. So far, we've shot at where we recommended to a couple. A lot of time I scout the location before the shoot. (Same for wedd. locations really)..
Hope it helps.

Maks

May 22, 2013 at 12:40 PM
aonavy
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · who picks the spot for engagement photos?

some good info in this thread!

I guess it all depends on...well...alot of things.

I just wasnt sure if there was a "proper" way of getting this done.

Thanks for the replies.

May 22, 2013 at 02:31 PM
tobiah
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · who picks the spot for engagement photos?

I often do but I'm flexible...

May 22, 2013 at 03:51 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · who picks the spot for engagement photos?

I set the location because I wish to make sure it has what I want.

May 23, 2013 at 08:36 AM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · who picks the spot for engagement photos?

As most folks have said, the couple typically does. However, we usually provided ideas for the couple, since our approach was for the couple to just do something that had meaning to them while we documented it.

May 25, 2013 at 01:04 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.