Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Jasper Park

Scott Stoness
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Jasper Park

I went to Jasper Park this last weekend and took some landscape shots. Unfortunately, I always seem to be choosing the wrong spot for great light or my timing was wrong.

The first night I was heading to a bridge for some spectacular light and a grizzly caused me to stop and I missed the moment.

The next day the light was not nearly as good on the same spot.

And then my last day, I chose a spot, that in retrospect might be a sunset rather than a sunrise shot.

Here are my best of the weekend.

Comments and feedback is appreciated. Scott

1 of 4 Sunset looking North West

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    47mm    f/11.0    1/13s    100 ISO    -1.0 EV  

2 of 4 - Sunset looking North North West

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    70mm    f/11.0    1/13s    100 ISO    -1.0 EV  

3 of 4 - Sunrise looking West

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    TS-E17mm f/4L lens    17mm    f/5.6    1/60s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

My first night distraction

May 22, 2013 at 05:00 AM
dwa652
• • •
p.1 #2 · Jasper Park

I like them, especially the first two. It does look like perhaps more of a sunrise location, but that is also a different shot with the mountains lit but probably not the nicely colored clouds you have in the photos you got. Did you try and HDR?

May 22, 2013 at 05:09 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Jasper Park

Very nice Images the light and scenery are great. Definitely on my list of places to go. The first shot has a lot of good elements present in the frame. Seems like a great area to explore.

May 22, 2013 at 09:48 AM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #4 · Jasper Park

Great set! I like three most of all and the expression on that bear is cool!

Can't wait to get there next month!

May 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM
stanparker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Jasper Park

Very nice series, Scott. I think a grizzly is an excellent reason to change plans. That is one fine specimen, BTW.

May 22, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #6 · Jasper Park

The first night I was heading to a bridge for some spectacular light and a grizzly caused me to stop and I missed the moment.

The spectacular light missed because the grizzly that happened along would be a big bonus for most of us. After experiencing the moment I'd be asking, Light? What light? Got me the grizzly.

Great series.

Gerard

May 22, 2013 at 12:06 PM
dgdg
• • •
p.1 #7 · Jasper Park

love seeing your adventures. it must be great going out there and just discovering whatever comes your way!

May 22, 2013 at 12:37 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Jasper Park

Scott, you are the master of Canada! I always look for your work!.

May 22, 2013 at 01:39 PM
Dirtyharry71
• • •
p.1 #9 · Jasper Park

cool

passed there in 2000

May 22, 2013 at 02:20 PM
nikon65
• • •
p.1 #10 · Jasper Park

Nice shots. Jasper is definitely on my bucket list !!!

Todd

May 22, 2013 at 02:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #11 · Jasper Park

Nice shots Scott. I like 2 & 3 the most of this set. Personally I think a slightly warmer white balance would help all of these shots, especially for the forground in #1. Your mountain shots do seem to always have a really cold feeling though, so it might just be your style.

May 22, 2013 at 02:51 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Jasper Park

dwa652: I have 3 images of all. These are hdr blended with single image (2/3). After looking at them again today, I think I will take another run at processing them. The colors are just not showing up. Glad you like them. Thanks for the observations. Much appreciated. Scott

Sneakyracer: I think I will go back and process from scratch. The colors just seem to be muted. Looking for new locations is always challenging because you don't really know until you try the spot. So the next time, it will be better is my hope. Thanks for the encouragement. Much appreciated. Scott

Jglaser757: You will enjoy Jasper. Its my favorite spot for hanging out. It does not feel very commercial. If you have time take in the July 1st Canada day parade - it will make you feel like you are in a special place (not very sophisticated but endearing). Glad you like the landscapes and the candid bear. [If you are there, I will be in Jasper for the Canada day long weekend, and will take you to my favorite spots. ]Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

stanparker: He is a handsome bear even after not eating for 5 months. Glad you like him and the scenes. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Edited on May 22, 2013 at 06:35 PM · View previous versions

May 22, 2013 at 06:22 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Jasper Park

Taoguy: Yes its really hard to pass a grizzly because of some promising light. And its really hard to pass some great light for some other great light. Its too bad it was not always dawn. Glad you like the bear. It was worth it. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

dgdg: And it is even more fun finding the adventures and posting them for you to see. Glad you like the series. Thanks for the encouragement. Much appreciated. Scott

ckcarr: Thats a high praise - thank you. But mostly western Canada and hardly a master. Enthusiast of Western Canada. Thanks for the encoureagment. Much appreciated. Scott

Dirtyharry71: It is still the same (beautiful) in 2013. You should visit again. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

May 22, 2013 at 06:28 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #14 · Jasper Park

Great set Scott. I really like how you framed the first image.
Exposure is spot on and the overall scene looks natural to my eyes. Perhaps a little color warmth (~6,000k) would not do any harm.
Fred

May 22, 2013 at 06:30 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Jasper Park

nikon65: Jasper is really easy to get to. Its cheap to fly to either Edmonton or Calgary and the drive is very easy. You could even do it for a long weekend. And aside from the bears and wolves and elk and moose, its really safe. (the elk are in calving mode and will chase you down and stomp you right now and are more dangerous than grizzly). Glad you like the shots. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Justin Grimm: I am in the middle of a renovation where my wife is staging my existing house so we can build a bigger, better house. I need more room to hang my pictures. And I have lost my id for my color calibration software. So it could be that my colors are off. Or just my head I will go looking for my cd. Thanks for the observation. I appreciate it. Scott

May 22, 2013 at 06:34 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Jasper Park

Fine shots Scott. All great, particularly #2
David

May 22, 2013 at 08:00 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Jasper Park

Scott Stoness wrote:
nikon65: Jasper is really easy to get to. Its cheap to fly to either Edmonton or Calgary and the drive is very easy. You could even do it for a long weekend. And aside from the bears and wolves and elk and moose, its really safe. (the elk are in calving mode and will chase you down and stomp you right now and are more dangerous than grizzly). Glad you like the shots. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Justin Grimm: I am in the middle of a renovation where my wife is staging my existing house so we
...Show more

Hey Scott,

Since the elk are so dangerous now, what's the best protection from them?

Jim

May 22, 2013 at 08:28 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Jasper Park

Hey Scott,

Cool shots here, the bear one is the best. The sly look he is giving really adds to the shot. I saw you are going to redo these shots, my biggest take away on these is the ground layer is too cool. Trees and such are blue instead of brown.

Jim

May 22, 2013 at 08:29 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Jasper Park

Scott,
Hmm, you take a 600mm with you and the Grizzly is a distraction
I think for your own safety, would want to have eyes on the bear while he is around.
Looks like a successful outing to me!
I would go with #2 and just a bit warmer WB.
Like my trip to Alaska and "I only saw a Bald Eagle on a Bison carcass" complaint

Thanks for posting
Dan

May 22, 2013 at 10:12 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Jasper Park

Great set of images. Love the bear.
Harsha

May 22, 2013 at 10:28 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell