New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Speedlite not flashing

mclldavidson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Speedlite not flashing

I have a 430 ex and just the past couple days it stopped working. The red light is solid and a green light below it occasionally comes on. Also on the front there is a solid red light

Edited on May 21, 2013 at 05:26 PM · View previous versions

May 21, 2013 at 04:56 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Speedlite not flashing

Could be a flash tube. I have burned out several using 580 models but never used the 430.Repaired 2 this year. At United Camera the fix runs about $85.00 from what they list. Think Canon is closer to $150.00 if my memory is correct.
( they actually sent one to Canon for repair. Called to tell me it would be a delay, the other 2 times it appeared to be done in house as it was faster)

Try new batteries, clean the contacts, make sure the battery door is closing tight. If none of the above then most likely the flash tube.

If it is only an on camera issue check the hot shoe. If The screws came loose the flash may not fire at all and sometimes work then be way too bright or dim.

May 21, 2013 at 05:22 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Speedlite not flashing

mclldavidson wrote:
...on the front there is a solid red light

Uh oh.

The red light on the front should flash when the 430EX is in Slave mode, and it should be off when mounted on the camera. It could also be the AF Assist Beam emitter, which should only be on when the shutter button is half-pressed. If it's on constantly, then I think you have a logic error or an internal short.

If taking out and then replacing the batteries doesn't fix it, I think it's a repair/replace situation.

May 22, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Speedlite not flashing

Also verify cf settings as well as the mode, channel and other settings. Best to rest to factory default on camera with new batteries and goe from there but sound like maybe a bad flash tube.

May 22, 2013 at 01:18 AM
mclldavidson
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Speedlite not flashing

Ok I took it off and removed the batteries and it will fire off the camera. I then put it on my camera and it works but that red light on the front it still there

May 22, 2013 at 02:46 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Speedlite not flashing

mclldavidson wrote:
Ok I took it off and removed the batteries and it will fire off the camera. I then put it on my camera and it works but that red light on the front it still there

If you have another camera, or a friend with one, I'd see what it does on a different body; it could be a camera problem (shutter release button) if it's not a flash problem.

May 22, 2013 at 02:49 PM
mclldavidson
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Speedlite not flashing

I dont have a different camera but it stays on even when off the camera

May 22, 2013 at 02:51 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Speedlite not flashing

mclldavidson wrote:
I dont have a different camera but it stays on even when off the camera

Ah, gotcha.

May 22, 2013 at 05:59 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.