Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Mossy Grotto 2K13

Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mossy Grotto 2K13

A guy flew in from AZ this past weekend, and wanted me to show him around.

So I took him to this spot. It is still not 100% grown in, and yet I saw ferns and such broken - people just stomp through this area. It maddens me. I thought photographers are supposed to respect the land and leave these spots in the condition they found them. 2008 this place was 100% pristine. Now there are literally trails to this place. It isn't the easiest place to get to either, which makes it even worse

Anways, ironically the only day I was able to shoot with him, it called for sun. Now it is raining today Cloudy when I got here, and 30 minutes later, it burned off.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-VwYOKQvhBTo/UZvTtrrpb4I/AAAAAAAAIGg/XSTL4cICT5M/s800/Mossy-2K13.jpg

May 21, 2013 at 03:32 PM
JustinPoe
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mossy Grotto 2K13

Beautiful shot.

May 21, 2013 at 03:38 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mossy Grotto 2K13

Love those ferns. Seriously looks like you stepped back in time or something. It is a shame that there are tracks and signs of people being careless though. How long does it take to hike there?

May 21, 2013 at 04:27 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mossy Grotto 2K13

Hey Dustin,

Nice work on this, those ferns look cool. Yeah, it's a drag when people don't think. Perhaps part of it is that today everyone has a camera, so there are more people out traipsing around, which then leads to a larger portion of photographers who have never been taught how to minimize the impact on a location...

Jim

May 21, 2013 at 04:29 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mossy Grotto 2K13

I know the place. You definitely got a different composition and I like it a lot. Great work.
Harsha

May 21, 2013 at 04:35 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mossy Grotto 2K13

Justin Grimm wrote:
Love those ferns. Seriously looks like you stepped back in time or something. It is a shame that there are tracks and signs of people being careless though. How long does it take to hike there?

maybe 30-40 minutes to get here - however I make quicker time each time I visit

May 21, 2013 at 04:35 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mossy Grotto 2K13

Beautiful shot Dustin. I like the composition and the nice little taste of the waterfall.

Jason

May 21, 2013 at 04:47 PM
khilleg
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mossy Grotto 2K13

I love your shot, Dustin, and I was just in the Gorge today at the trail head of Ruckel Creek.

I was also there 2-3 years ago and I was quoted saying that was the most fun I'll never do again. That was b/c we slid down a scree hill hugging poison oak along the way. A better way there is by creek walking up but it is a much harder way to get there. There were so many photos being posted that year that I actually never posted the photo I took. Even then there was evidence of things trampled on.

I think that the volume of photographers that go there are causing the damage in addition to a few careless feet. We must remember to be careful all the time.

I think it was John Muir who said we are loving our National Parks to death (this is off the top of my head so don't quote me on this one) meaning even though well meaning each step can take its toll.

Food for thought, eh?

Kevin

May 21, 2013 at 07:14 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mossy Grotto 2K13

Well the point I was getting at was you know since having visited this place, is that not just any schmo is going to take the effort and shoot this place. It isn't like getting to Multnomah Falls, Ponytail or even Punchbowl Falls.

That is the problem with the internet I guess. People that have no business being there can locate it, and stomp without regard to consequences to the immediate area. It not only ruins it for others', but also makes people reluctant to disclose other locations. I won't give out any directions to places anymore, but will accompany people that I trust - who share the same respect for nature

May 21, 2013 at 07:50 PM
Rick Schump
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mossy Grotto 2K13

Dustin, Sad that people don't respect what they find so worth the effort to capture. Wonderful shot, I like the perspective of more around the corner with the ferns commanding more of center stage. Rick

May 21, 2013 at 08:33 PM
Mstic
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mossy Grotto 2K13

interesting composition.

May 21, 2013 at 08:50 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mossy Grotto 2K13

Fabulous way to frame it! Great job Dustin.

Yes, it frustrates the heck out of me that people trash these oasis's. It was the same in the SW. Graffiti in the slot canyons... I'm glad you bring it up to draw attention to the issue. Leave no trace! When I find trash and such out in these areas I always hike it out with me. Also just being careful where we walk and such...

May 21, 2013 at 08:54 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mossy Grotto 2K13

Another very unique image Dustin!
Most photographers would try getting close to the fall, but you gave more emphasis to the foliage...
The result is a very creative shot.
Fred

May 21, 2013 at 08:55 PM
Jason Lang
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mossy Grotto 2K13

Really like the plants in this shot -- a unique perspective on a location likely sought for the falls.

May 21, 2013 at 09:55 PM
B Landau
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mossy Grotto 2K13

Like it or not, you posting images of this location only increases the traffic to this area. I too am saddened by some of the damage I have seen this year.

May 21, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mossy Grotto 2K13

B Landau wrote:
Like it or not, you posting images of this location only increases the traffic to this area. I too am saddened by some of the damage I have seen this year.

Perhaps, but I didn't specify directions.

May 21, 2013 at 11:03 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Mossy Grotto 2K13

Love the shot, especially the greens!
In two more days, I will be in Oregon, can't wait!

Sasha

May 22, 2013 at 02:44 AM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Mossy Grotto 2K13

Love those ferns, Dustin. Nice use of them in the foreground to point into the composition.

It really is a pity that so many of the most photogenic sites are getting overrun by careless visitors. Photographers are having to push deeper and deeper into wilderness areas, going off trail, etc. to find undisturbed areas, and of course that just widens the radius of exposure even further. :::sigh::::

May 22, 2013 at 03:54 AM
Dirtyharry71
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Mossy Grotto 2K13

love the lush greens

May 22, 2013 at 09:02 AM
PhilPDX
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Mossy Grotto 2K13

khilleg wrote:
I think that the volume of photographers that go there are causing the damage in addition to a few careless feet.

I totally agree with you, Kevin. Sadly, some photographers still insist that they have no impact whatsoever on the locations they visit. The only solution IMHO: do not reveal the location of remote and pristine places.

May 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.