Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · California road trip suggestions sought...

mdg137
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · California road trip suggestions sought...

My wife and I will be driving from San Diego to San Francisco this July-- it is looking like we are alotting 2 days in San Diego with friends, then 3 days for the drive, then a couple days in SF.

Im looking for suggestions of good photo ops either in San Diego, or along the drive-- S.F. is pretty easy.

Most of my work is nudes or urban landscapes, and I'm not one for majestic natural scenery-- after looking at not too many "cliffs down to the Pacific" shots, I start to feel the urge to hurl myself over them!

Any thoughts on interesting opportunities along the way? Especially good cemeteries--

Any and all thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated.

--

May 21, 2013 at 12:02 PM
CH3NO2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · California road trip suggestions sought...

17 mile drive is a must see. Near Carmel and Monterey.

May 21, 2013 at 03:49 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · California road trip suggestions sought...

Here's a different take on this kind of trip from someone who grew up in Monterey and now lives in L.A. If I were doing this, I would actually skip a lot of the southern portion of the coast and take I-5 north to CA-46 West - where you'll pass the James Dean Memorial, continuing west on 46 all the way to the coast at San Simeon, then heading north on Pacific Coast Highway to San Francisco, with many great stops along the way, including but not limited to lunch at Nepenthe just south of Big Sur and taking the short walk from the parking lot to the beach at Andrew Molera State Park and not forgetting to spend a couple of hours (at least) at Pt. Lobos State Reserve just south of Carmel. Both Edward and Brett Weston made many memorable images at Pt. Lobos. Then you have the Carmel Mission just west of PCH, Carmel Beach - one of the most beautiful beaches (and dog friendly) in California. Carmel-Monterey has more great restaurants than any one geographic area deserves. One of my faves is Thai Bistro on Lighthouse Ave in New Monterey. I would stay on PCH all the way to S.F. with side trips through Santa Cruz and finally a great cruise from there into the City to finish off.

There may be too much here for your time frame, and you're going to have to figure out your schedule, but these are some solid recommendations. Have a great trip.

May 21, 2013 at 11:21 PM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · California road trip suggestions sought...

Given your antipathy for the spectacular Pacific coastlines you intend to miss, an alternative along the line of your "old cemeteries" is to follow the route of California's Camino Real--the old Spanish road between San Diego and San Francisco. Today Route 5 and 101 parallel the Camino Real. This is the route between the old Spanish missions, many of which are still standing. They range in condition from well preserved to crumbled away. Take your pick.

There is plenty of information on-line: just Google California Missions, and choose which ones fit your interest. All are good photo ops without having to resort to "majestic scenery." Remember, though, at Carmel you will also be in the shooting grounds of Edward Weston, they guy who combined nudes with scenery....

May 22, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Neddie Seagoon
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · California road trip suggestions sought...

Pete's got some good advice. I would add stop in Cambria just before San Simeon. Best Chardonnay in CA. Rolling hills and vineyards. OK not Tuscany but not far off either.

May 23, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Neddie Seagoon
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · California road trip suggestions sought...

Pete's got some good advice. I would add stop in Cambria just before San Simeon. Best Chardonnay in CA. Rolling hills and vineyards. OK not Tuscany but not far off either.

Neddie Seagoon
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · California road trip suggestions sought...

Geez, touchy reply button today. I don't feel THAT strongly about it. Really.

Actually, I'll add an LA suggestion as you said urban landscapes. The Santa Monica or Malibu piers can be fun to shoot. Venice beach too. Your challenge is to find something about those spots that you haven't seen before...

Also, there is a VA cemetery right off the 405 in Westwood near UCLA that gets some pretty cool light of an evening.

Good luck and post your results!

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.