Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2013 · A River of Chocolate

JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · A River of Chocolate

DSC01 wrote:
JIm, looks like an interesting area they both look fine not overdone at all very nice , I prefer the comp of #1 regards, Dean

Hey Dean, I appreciate your comments and that you like #1.

Jim

May 21, 2013 at 07:37 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · A River of Chocolate

psharvic wrote:
Jim, I'll go with 2. Both are very nice but my eye wanders more on 1.

Thanks so much, I am glad to hear that you like #2. I shoot the majority of my shots horizontal. But I know there is a place for vertical shots too, so I try to keep my eye open for that as I am out shooting.

Jim

May 21, 2013 at 07:38 AM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · A River of Chocolate

Oh, that's chocolate turning into brownies
I prefer #2. Vertical shots make good magazine covers
#1 is very nice but a bit too much of "Christmas tree" effect, maybe softer glow would be easier on a eye.

Sasha.

May 21, 2013 at 07:46 AM
Phrasikleia
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · A River of Chocolate

I like these a lot, Jim. The lines and textures of the wash are terrific. I prefer #1 somewhat because it gives such a great sense of expansiveness, though it would be nice to see the point of the V-shape in the sand at the bottom edge. Either that or maybe just crop in a bit at the bottom so the lines start in a way that looks more intentional.

The second one is really nice too with its serpentine path. I'm seeing a few minor edits that could improve it. Again, maybe a crop to get the main sandstone formation to sit higher in the frame (it's very nearly centered). You could probably lose a bit on the sides and the top and end up 'gaining' with this one. Secondly, I detect some haloing around that central formation.

At any rate, when it gets down to nits like these, you know you have a couple of winners on your hands.

May 21, 2013 at 08:18 AM
matthewh133
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · A River of Chocolate

Wow Jim. Excellent work on the composition. REALLY love the first one, though both are excellent! Nailed it.

May 21, 2013 at 08:48 AM
Contest_Guru

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · A River of Chocolate

I like the first photo, it give a whole perfect view, the picture look's so amazing and stunning

May 21, 2013 at 08:49 AM
Turbohamster

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · A River of Chocolate

Great work Jim!

Absolutely love the first one! The colours and textures are amazing!

May 21, 2013 at 09:55 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · A River of Chocolate

Jim,
These are really beautiful images. The composition of the first w/ the sunset framed by the mountainous formations is amazing... your color and tonality seems just right for the time of day and place. My brain wishes you continued to the lower left to finish the mud plateau that just gets snipped off.... (a very very tiny nit)

Unlike most, my favorite here is the vertical. I love the way the mud river takes me to the temple rock as well as how the clouds draw my eyes to the main subject in the image.

Your patience and timing really paid off with these two shots!
regards,
bruce

May 21, 2013 at 10:54 AM
ScaryFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · A River of Chocolate

I am so totally with you the "Christmas Lights". Plus a bit of HDR!

Your images are truly beautiful. Excellent foregrounds.
Love them both.
Ute

May 21, 2013 at 12:25 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · A River of Chocolate

Jim, two very well planned and executed frames. Both are excellent and either will hit almost everyone's "fav" spot. Very, very good work

Mine is #1 for the mud plateau that leads the eye into the rest of the frame.

Matt

May 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nburwell
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · A River of Chocolate

Both are excellent images, Jim. I do have to say I like the composition and colors of #1 though. Great work as usual!

-Nick

May 21, 2013 at 03:23 PM
roguecoolman
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · A River of Chocolate

Love the first one Jim. The colors are just beautiful. Though I was looking forward to chocolate

Jason

May 21, 2013 at 05:24 PM
kellyakinsart
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · A River of Chocolate

Both are beautiful, but #2 just slightly more.
I love how they play with our sense of scale. It almost looks like a canyon down below, instead of just a wash.

Kelly

May 21, 2013 at 06:03 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · A River of Chocolate

excellent colors on both

May 21, 2013 at 08:03 PM
Jon Buffington
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · A River of Chocolate

Both are spectacular but #1 takes the cake!

May 22, 2013 at 12:34 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · A River of Chocolate

Jeffrey wrote:
Nice imaging, Jim. The lighting and the tones here are wonderful. Some real earthy colors. That's what we like!

Thanks Jeffrey, I appreciate your comments and I am glad you like the shots.

Jim

May 22, 2013 at 02:13 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · A River of Chocolate

ckcarr wrote:
Very creative Jim! I like the view down the wash. Actually a view deep toward Cathedral Valley. Any mushy quicksand? I think I have to go with number #1, it seems to catch my eye more. Long ago I had serious problems getting out of there after a flooding rainstorm. Broke my little Jeep, broke the gas tank.. Oh well.

Hey Craig,

Thanks so much, I am glad you liked them. The washes you see here are not for driving. while it does cross the road that goes to the Temple of the Moon I don't see anyone driving on them. So not sure about quick sand.

Yep, that can be a dangerous place after a rainstorm!

Jim

May 22, 2013 at 02:16 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · A River of Chocolate

briancphoto wrote:
Both look great but I think I prefer the second. The first one leaves me wishing I could see a little more foreground where the two streams meet. Brian

Thanks Brian, I am glad you liked the shots. And yeah, I wish I had a bit more at the bottom, I can't believe I missed it when composing the shot. I looked back at my originals, and I do have a couple of shots I took after the color was gone from the sky but still orange on the horizon from the spot of #1 and angled down a bit more to get that tip of sand. So I might see about adding that into the bottom of this shot later.

Jim

May 22, 2013 at 02:19 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · A River of Chocolate

ben egbert wrote:
I could not pick and I am biased to landscape but that second is just too good to downgrade.

Did you get stuck here? I understand this is a bad place to be after rain.

Hey Ben,

Thanks so much. I am glad you liked both.

I did get stuck getting into there at 1am going up a curving hill. It hadn't felt that wet, but I lost traction going up the clay road there. So I stopped, and slept and waited for daylight to see before trying to get the jeep out. I had a ditch on one side and a 12 foot or so drop off on the other side, so I didn't want to try anything else until I could see, and that would give the road 5 more hours to drive. In the end, I used some pieces of carpet remnants I carry, placed in front of the tires. It took like 3 tries and I finally finished getting up the hill. But what a mess...

Jim

May 22, 2013 at 02:23 AM
Dirtyharry71
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · A River of Chocolate

I like 'em

May 22, 2013 at 02:00 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register