Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · A River of Chocolate

JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · A River of Chocolate

Congratulations to JimFox for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 13 votes - View Previous Winners

This is from a little over a month ago at the Temple of the Sun and Moon in Capitol Reef. I managed to get in there right after a storm, and then the storm lingered a bit raining off an on for a day. That created for some wet and very saturated conditions, and it also gave me several days of no one else back in there shooting. A friend looking at my shots thought that it looked like a Chocolate River... hence the title.

I did a bit of exploring the area as it's a bit new to me, this was only my second time back in there. Besides the cool iconic shots, I was looking around from some interesting foreground to compliment the temples. I followed a runoff that was frozen solid with ice as it was still very cold out there. I got some cool reflection shots of the Temple of Sun that I need to process some time, but in the mean time, I kept following the runoff/creek back to this area here that I thought looked pretty cool.

The funny thing about contrast adjustments that I have noticed lately, is that they can be very adictive... Getting our photo's to shine like Christmas lights all the time seems to be so easy to do... I did try to keep the contrast down just a bit with the mood of a setting sun with no direct light.

Two shots here, a horizontal showing both Temples, and allowing for some orange where the sun had just set. And then a vertical of just the Temple of the Sun.

All thoughts and comments are welcome.

Jim

May 21, 2013 at 12:30 AM
AndrewThomas
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · A River of Chocolate

Both are very nice Jim, slight preference for #1 with its wider view. I applaud your restraint re. the christmas lights! These looks very natural
cheers Andrew

May 21, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · A River of Chocolate

That 1st one is awesome ol' man. So true about the xmas tree...

May 21, 2013 at 12:41 AM
DSC01
• • •
p.1 #4 · A River of Chocolate

JIm, looks like an interesting area they both look fine not overdone at all very nice , I prefer the comp of #1 regards, Dean

May 21, 2013 at 12:48 AM
psharvic
• • •
p.1 #5 · A River of Chocolate

Jim, I'll go with 2. Both are very nice but my eye wanders more on 1.

May 21, 2013 at 01:00 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #6 · A River of Chocolate

Both gorgeous Jim. I kept going back and forward but the first image has a special appeal to me. However, I really like how to framed the foreground path on both.
The second would look amazing in a big print. Send me a copy!
Take care,
Fred

May 21, 2013 at 01:03 AM
jord217
• •
p.1 #7 · A River of Chocolate

Both are great Jim. I'm partial to the first. I really like the lines and shapes of the stream bend. Very dynamic.

May 21, 2013 at 01:20 AM
dbehrens
• • •
p.1 #8 · A River of Chocolate

Those are cool! #1 is definitely a wall hanger.
Dave

May 21, 2013 at 01:32 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · A River of Chocolate

Nice imaging, Jim. The lighting and the tones here are wonderful. Some real earthy colors. That's what we like!

May 21, 2013 at 01:46 AM
dhb820
• • •
p.1 #10 · A River of Chocolate

Two very nice photos. The first one is my pick as I like the wider foreground.

May 21, 2013 at 01:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

harshaj1
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · A River of Chocolate

This is a close call but I like #2 just a littlee bit better. A simple composition that draws my eye to the temple.
Harsha

May 21, 2013 at 02:10 AM
Nori
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · A River of Chocolate

The first one is a wall hanger Jim, absolutely perfect

May 21, 2013 at 02:12 AM
sachman
• • •
p.1 #13 · A River of Chocolate

Love the wide angle perspective of #1, both are great to look at and appreciate

May 21, 2013 at 02:30 AM
briancphoto
• •
p.1 #14 · A River of Chocolate

Both look great but I think I prefer the second. The first one leaves me wishing I could see a little more foreground where the two streams meet. Brian

May 21, 2013 at 02:38 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · A River of Chocolate

Very creative Jim! I like the view down the wash. Actually a view deep toward Cathedral Valley. Any mushy quicksand? I think I have to go with number #1, it seems to catch my eye more. Long ago I had serious problems getting out of there after a flooding rainstorm. Broke my little Jeep, broke the gas tank.. Oh well.

May 21, 2013 at 02:39 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · A River of Chocolate

I could not pick and I am biased to landscape but that second is just too good to downgrade.

Did you get stuck here? I understand this is a bad place to be after rain.

May 21, 2013 at 02:40 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #17 · A River of Chocolate

I have been checking Temple of the Sun and Moon photos lately due to my plan for the Fall travel. But.. gosh.. your photos are very unique with that gorgeous foreground. Great shots, Jim. I like both.
Kee

May 21, 2013 at 02:41 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · A River of Chocolate

These both work very well Jim! I wish the vertical was bigger to enjoy more. I love the sense of desolation but beauty at the same time. Nice light too!

May 21, 2013 at 03:13 AM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · A River of Chocolate

Hmm, like em both, especially w/marshmellows

I prefer #2 for comp but #1 for sky.
Nicely done OM

Dan

May 21, 2013 at 03:20 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · A River of Chocolate

AndrewThomas wrote:
Both are very nice Jim, slight preference for #1 with its wider view. I applaud your restraint re. the christmas lights! These looks very natural
cheers Andrew

Thanks Andrew, I am glad you liked the shots, it's one beautiful place to shoot!

Jim

May 21, 2013 at 07:36 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password